Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

It's a new year! Happy new year I.e. 2013 years since "the birth" of Yashua aka the king of the Jews... So maybe you can argue about who's right and wrong next December :-) for now let's get some naam simian going!!

I was reading around on the net, and according to historians, Jesus was most likely actually born the year 8BC...so if our year system is based on his birth, it should really be the year 2021 right now haha :biggrin2:

I was reading around on the net, and according to historians, Jesus was most likely actually born the year 8BC...so if our year system is based on his birth, it should really be the year 2021 right now haha :biggrin2:

I would Write to the custodian of the yearly calendar printing association, because it seems you may have a point there my dear brother ;-) That's "if" Jesus was indeed his real name at all!?!? Either way Sarbat da bhala

Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru

I would Write to the custodian of the yearly calendar printing association, because it seems you may have a point there my dear brother ;-) That's "if" Jesus was indeed his real name at all!?!? Either way Sarbat da bhala Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru

Who knows eh :p There's enough historical evidence to show that Jesus existed, but a lot of "facts" about him are disputed, his date of birth being just one example. Interesting subject anyway...if I wasn't studying medicine, I'd love to study the history of religions! :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

• 10 months later...

Since the last two years we had a very robust discussion here about the hollowness of so called Sikhs who put Christmas trees in their houses and some also celebrated Christmas

Lot of us learnt from that discussion and agreed to stop following this mindless ritual at their houses.

I hope this trend is followed by more and more Sikhs all over the world.

We have a tree in our house and it doesn't make a difference to us that it's there.

It's not stopping us doing our Nitnem, it's not enticing us towards the panj chor and in no way is it turning us into Christans or to idol worship. It's no different to the other plants in my house.

Yes, it makes an appearance at this time of year and then disappears again for the rest if the year, we don't become honorary Christians for 2 weeks because of a tree - if it did, I'd be questioning the strength of my faith, not the tree.

Bhaiji

Was reading all posts before leaving a reply, but read yours and realised that the sound of a hammer hitting a nail smack bang on the head was definitely heard loud and clear.

There is a strong nazi mentality among apparent Gursikhs frequenting this forum.

Sikhi is love.

If you can't debate whilst remaining respectful and tolerant then you've lost the point. There is no history of Sikhs attacking or injuring anyone for mere verbal disrespect, Prithi Chand...Dhir Mal anyone????

If your faith in the TRUTH is as strong as you say....then live and let live.....Sikhi in a nutshell.

Just ask Bhai Pinderpal Singh Ji why he doesn't involve himself in such antiSikh nonsense.

End of.

We have a tree in our house and it doesn't make a difference to us that it's there.

It's not stopping us doing our Nitnem, it's not enticing us towards the panj chor and in no way is it turning us into Christans or to idol worship. It's no different to the other plants in my house.

Yes, it makes an appearance at this time of year and then disappears again for the rest if the year, we don't become honorary Christians for 2 weeks because of a tree - if it did, I'd be questioning the strength of my faith, not the tree.

Bhaiji

Was reading all posts before leaving a reply, but read yours and realised that the sound of a hammer hitting a nail smack bang on the head was definitely heard loud and clear.

There is a strong nazi mentality among apparent Gursikhs frequenting this forum.

Sikhi is love.

If you can't debate whilst remaining respectful and tolerant then you've lost the point. There is no history of Sikhs attacking or injuring anyone for mere verbal disrespect, Prithi Chand...Dhir Mal anyone????

If your faith in the TRUTH is as strong as you say....then live and let live.....Sikhi in a nutshell.

Just ask Bhai Pinderpal Singh Ji why he doesn't involve himself in such antiSikh nonsense.

End of.

Bhaiji

Sikhi is love.

End of.

in reply to Hazoor's post that you quoted I wrote the following:

hmmm now lets use what you have written and replace it with a "Moorti of Shiva" and see how it sounds.

We have a Moorti of Shiva in our house and it doesn't make a difference to us that it's there.

It's not stopping us doing our Nitnem, it's not enticing us towards the panj chor and in no way is it turning us into Hindus or to idol worship. It's no different to the other artifacts in my house.

Yes, it makes an appearance at this time of year and then disappears again for the rest if the year, we don't become honorary Hindus for 2 weeks because of a Moorti of Shiva- if it did, I'd be questioning the strength of my faith, not the Moorti of Shiva.

Now tell me, if a Sikh in India used these words would we still find it acceptable? or would we object to this arguement put forth by a Sikh trying to follow some Hindu ritual just because the kids find it fun?