Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

:stupidme: You guys get me all confused :stupidme:

Should i get rid of my Christmas tree and tell the kids that they are not having any presents ??

Although as young kids, they are fully aware that they are not christian and a christmas tree is not going to make Jesus happy and Guru Nanak ji upset ! :blink2: .

It's all about some holiday fun and joy. It's a time when cousins and friends are off work and you get to visit each other.

Is christmas taking advantage of us? or are we taking advantage of christmas ?

What permanent scars is achristmas tree going to leave on me or my kids ?

Do what majority of the Jews do, they don't celebrate Christmas either and neither is the childhood of their children ruined by not celebrating Christmas. until this modern westernized Sikh generation, all the previous Sikh generations for the last few centuries grew up without Christmas, and they were better Sikhs than us. Celebrating other religious holidays will only turn kids into a Hardeghi Chamach when they grow up. We can always get a family get togather by visiting each other, going to Gurdwaras but celebrating Christmas, Mawlid, Eid, Janamastmi etc is not necessary nor required for a Sikh family.

xmas.gif

I'm sorry if I am covering old ground but I may have missed some posts over 25 pages.

The first thing to note is that Christmas trees have little to do with the Christian faith. Its a very old European tradition that was covered in christian tinsle as it were.

One often quoted passage from the bible, which although doesnt refer directly to the Christmas tree tradition (which is european not Middle Eastern) is:

Jeremiah 10:1-25

Hear the word that the Lord speaks to you, O house of Israel. Thus says the Lord: “Learn not the way of the nations, nor be dismayed at the signs of the heavens because the nations are dismayed at them, for the customs of the peoples are vanity. A tree from the forest is cut down and worked with an axe by the hands of a craftsman. They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so that it cannot move. Their idols are like scarecrows in a cucumber field, and they cannot speak; they have to be carried, for they cannot walk. Do not be afraid of them, for they cannot do evil, neither is it in them to do good.”

The passage discusses of how they should not follow such traditions.

Now the true history of the Tree goes much further back.

According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, "The use of evergreen trees, wreaths, and garlands to symbolize eternal life was a custom of the ancient Egyptians, Chinese, and Hebrews. Tree worship was common among the pagan Europeans and survived their conversion to Christianity in the Scandinavian customs of decorating the house and barn with evergreens at the New Year to scare away the devil and of setting up a tree for the birds during Christmastime."

The Christmas Tree links to Christianity seem to have started in 16th Century Germany and spread some time after.

So in reality Christmas Trees have as much to do with Christianity as it does with Sikhi.....nothing in reality.

So if you put up a christmas tree thats your own choice and ultimately we just need to reflect on what it means and what it represents to us.

Last year we had a very robust discussion here about the hollowness of so called Sikhs who put Christmas trees in their houses.

Lot of us learnt from that discussion and agreed to stop following this mindless ritual at their houses.

I hope this trend is followed by more and more Sikhs all over the world.

This is the post that started this entire thread.

To suggest "a lot of US" learned and adjusted "THEIR" behaviour and not OUR, lays bear the true intentions of this person. This shepard needs a flock???

Clearly someone has waited all year to reengage this nonsense. As the original post clearly defines the posters position, it is clear to see the intention of stoking and creating arguments..........pathetic really.

In just a few days I have had my fill of this topic, but imagine still ranting a year on??

Stagnation is the enemy of Gyaan.

I may be completely wrong sometimes and genius others but my thoughts are never stagnant.

This poster clearly feels that his point was either not appreciated last year or he learned nothing whatsoever and still assumes to be the authority on the behaviours of others.

This member of the thought police needs exposing as do his obnoxious co-horts, demeaning the very essence of universal brotherhood with they're condescension and patronising negative reading of anything that differs from complete uniformity with they're own limited understanding.

In short I am a student who has no intention of being educated by a fellow student without the respect for me that is DEMANDED of himself....

Bhul chuk maaf Sangat Ji

Actually the above post is dated last year....

WAHEGURU

So he is actually talking about TWO years ago!!!!!!!

His and his friends really do need to move on.......

Hopefully we will enjoy eachothers Sangat on other threads, for now on this one I bid you Gurfateh.

Actually the above post is dated last year....

WAHEGURU

So he is actually talking about TWO years ago!!!!!!!

His and his friends really do need to move on.......

Hopefully we will enjoy eachothers Sangat on other threads, for now on this one I bid you Gurfateh.

Now you are realising your lack of comprehension skills!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am proud that lots have learnt the message conveyed in this thread and stopped celebrating Christmas

and putting up the trees and also stopped aping others celebrations.

Now you are realising your lack of comprehension skills!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am proud that lots have learnt the message conveyed in this thread and stopped celebrating Christmas

and putting up the trees and also stopped aping others celebrations.

Does this not speak for itself???

(Well at least its comprehension this time and not comprehensive).

Your Manmat leads you to believe that I may or may not have realised exactly what I don't actually know...erm ??

Thats your first sentence. Now your second.

You are PROUD of what?? Was it your message?? Are you now someones Guru??

Aping a celebration would mean copying.....copying is clearly different to joining in.....which is it???

Comprehension???

Try making sense.

Well anyway you are welcome to be Sant Baba Anti Christmas spiritwale....(because if you had comprehended what EVERY one of us has said WE DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS)....yours is a Kar Seva worth twenty Janams!!!!!!!!!!

Your Manmat and disrespect of others even TWO YEARS ON!!!! Is still so strong that I find it truly sad that you have not progressed as a soul.

After TWO YEARS you're still trying to dictate the shape of the sea!!!!!!!!! Have YOU not learned anything????

My Ardas will be for you my brother maybe you can learn to love again. (You should probably begin with yourself).

No stoning. But but when you act very joyful during Christmas and remembering Baba Issa hope you will also shed a tear or two for the Sahibzadas who became Shaheed at this time. But I guess for modern Sikhs, Baba Issa Jee is more important than our Sahibzadas. There is a difference between learning and celebrating holidays of other religions.

Today Sikhs have become such confused people that they will bow to anywhere the wind blows. In India, they celebrate Hindu holidays, in the west they celebrate Christmas and Easter and also fully support Homosexuality because that is what the majority of the people are doing. Guru Jee's Kushi is in his Khalsa staying Nyara following Gurmat untouched by society's manmat much like a lotus flower which remains beautiful yet untouched by the dirt surrounding it.

It's really unbelievable the level of Manmat I have seen on this thread.

Just read my other posts in this thread.Why should I cry when my brothers went to meet their waheguru?We are humans and it does make us sad that they went so early but in reality we should not be sad.We should rejoice that our brothers have ended the 84 joon cycle and are with parmeshvar.

Where have I said I am celebrating Christmas?Just because I got a tree you think I' celebrate christmas?Read my post again couple of times.Just because I said we should learn about baba Issa you think Im ignoring the sahibzadey?I go to the gurduwara the most in December like at least twice a week compared to any other month of the year because of the whole 1704 saka.

I am a Sikh and celebrate all sikh holidays.