Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Most of the posts on here differ to extents because it is an 'age' thing.

I can tell that the younger ones have a more strong and ''I'm not doing that because it's not sikh' approach.

The older ones seem to be more tolerant because we have learnt as we have aged to not be so strong and put in your own ways because then you come across as 'anti' to an extent.

When I was in my younger days. I too was very 'I'm not doing that cuz I'm sikh' in many set ways. Infact at the gora school I was at, we used to say the lord's prayer before meals and assembly every day, AND I used to refuse to join in and would simply not say a word and not even 'amen'.

Maybe it is good to have that mindset when young because it helps you from NOT selling out.

However, I feel that once you pass this mark and get into a more responsible role in society and get more wise, -You realise that there is NO Chance of you selling out and drifting away, so you become much more tolerant and accepting.

So, I feel that one's mostly over 35 yrs age, understand what i'm talking about.

The younger ones will learn and change their views in years to come.

BUT- it is probably good to be in that mindset when young as it keeps you strong and focused on the path.

I can tell that the younger ones have a more strong and ''I'm not doing that because it's not sikh' approach.

The older ones seem to be more tolerant because we have learnt as we have aged to not be so strong and put in your own ways because then you come across as 'anti' to an extent.

When I was in my younger days. I too was very 'I'm not doing that cuz I'm sikh' in many set ways. Infact at the gora school I was at, we used to say the lord's prayer before meals and assembly every day, AND I used to refuse to join in and would simply not say a word and not even 'amen'.

Maybe it is good to have that mindset when young because it helps you from NOT selling out.

However, I feel that once you pass this mark and get into a more responsible role in society and get more wise, -You realise that there is NO Chance of you selling out and drifting away, so you become much more tolerant and accepting.

So, I feel that one's mostly over 35 yrs age, understand what i'm talking about.

BUT- it is probably good to be in that mindset when young as it keeps you strong and focused on the path.

So instead of staying firm on the beliefs YOU cherished when you were young, on becoming older, YOU " get more wise" and ,,became," i'm prbably more gora than a person tha calls themselves one

GREAT WISDOM!!!!!!KEEP IT UP.

the previous quote of ''I'm more gora than a person that calls themselves one ''

has not beeen understood by your good self. I should have explained it better or worded it a little different.

What I'm saying is that I'm more british than most of the so called white brits that live there!!!

How can that be, you ask ?

Well my grandfather has been there since the late 40's. He was a turbanned sikh hero that fought at the frontline in WWII.

By invite of the british goverment due to his service, he was invited to reside there.

My father was born and raised there and so was I.

Whilst being raised in heavy white areas, I faced a lot of racism but I would make it clear to the white folk that I was just as much if not more british than them, because my grandfather fought to save their country.

Unlike others that arrived on so called banana boats, I made it clear that I was there on a completly different account and that they had no right to be predjudice against me or tell me to take my boat back home!

I could go on, but you get the idea ???

I don't think you guys realise the racism that our parents and myself encountered at the hands of white man. We don't moan or complain about it because it was accepted as part of living at that time.

The problem is that you consider sikhi as a religion on par with other faiths when it is much more than that.

Sikhi is about the way you live and it is a way of life.

Being 'anti' -anything is not what the gurmat in the 1429 pages teaches you.

This could be anti-gora, anti-christmas, anti-muslim, anti- white....etc...

If you feel that being 'anti' makes you a better grmat sikh, then you should carry on proceeding in that manner.

But don't try and grab others to be 'anti' in line with yourself.

Don't you mean 1430?

im off this post with last comment as im getting too involved.. how do i know this i actually got up this morning thinking about this post....never happened before.. need to go pesh for this as i didnt wake up saying waheguru...

im sorry if i offended any one...future jatherdhar of akaal thakt- david singh khlasa

future jatherdhar of hazoor sahib... John singh khlasa

and to please our groreh mates for the special day "xmas period" there wil lbe a big xmas tree next to nishan sahib who we will do a fateh to as it has shaheedi perah..but this is to please our goreh counterparts but to still please our panjabi ppl we will have a khanda at the top of the tree with orange ball things hanging from the tree..and what will top it all off will ba a clasiic.."JESUS WAS INDIAN/SIKH AS HE HAD A BEARD!!"...GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME...

again sorry if i offended any one.. my head your feet.....

I guess i hit the nerve in people. First thing first-

Bluespace - I wasn't talking about england, even if i was, england treatment against sikhs being paradoxical- depending how you look at it..with that being said, coming to england with entitlement just to rob (double dip/not integrate/being anti-social) the hell out of england seems what some of typical muslims would do. But as i said earlier, sikhs generally have integrated quite well in the past and in the present thats why for most part- ferengis from england have great respect for sikhs in general. I must stress- integration yes, annihilation (get rid of your identity/sing halliejuah- reverse racism) - NO!!

As for onlyfive and others- think before you jump the bandwagon. My post was general observation for past 5 years. I being from punjabi background, live with punjabis all my life- i know how they double dip all time (they don't even hide the fact- have any sharam- they are actually quite proud of it as they brag about it) and at the same time- cuss Canadian traditions/national holidays. Last time i checked first nation celebrates christmas, the first recorded christmas celebrated by canadian(first nations), was 1647- The fIrst Canadian Christmas Carol and just for the record- I pay my due respect to natives, back in 2008 july 1st Canada day. I went to my local center- i casually danced with natives just in circle with their songs, appreciated their culture while some pendu schmuck made a random comment against- aah ki gyani nuo bhot chimbar gaya..!!..again we(punjabis) are quite ungrateful community..you would think we would learn from suitation of punjab where bhaiyes from bihar/up- anti social nut bars- infiltrating punjab, killing our culture being anti social and not do same thing in canada, you would think we wouldn't stop to their level (of abusing generosity of Punjabi) just like in Canada abusing (sit home cuss christmas at the same time- double dip- take time off, claim overtime/double time/triple time), generosity of major canadians including aboriginals who celebrate christmas as their national holiday.

So again, all this coming from someone who don't celebrate christmas personally or have christmas tree but at the same time, take part in national holiday by wish everyone i would see on dec 25th- Merry Christmas..!!

I guess i hit the nerve in people. First thing first-

Bluespace - I wasn't talking about england, even if i was, england treatment against sikhs being paradoxical- depending how you look at it..with that being said, coming to england with entitlement just to rob (double dip/not integrate/being anti-social) the hell out of england seems what some of typical muslims would do. But as i said earlier, sikhs generally have integrated quite well in the past and in the present thats why for most part- ferengis from england have great respect for sikhs in general. I must stress- integration yes, annihilation (get rid of your identity/sing halliejuah- reverse racism) - NO!!

As for onlyfive and others- think before you jump the bandwagon. My post was general observation for past 5 years. I being from punjabi background, live with punjabis all my life- i know how they double dip all time (they don't even hide the fact- have any sharam- they are actually quite proud of it as they brag about it) and at the same time- cuss Canadian traditions/national holidays. Last time i checked first nation celebrates christmas, the first recorded christmas celebrated by canadian(first nations), was 1647- The fIrst Canadian Christmas Carol and just for the record- I pay my due respect to natives, back in 2008 july 1st Canada day. I went to my local center- i casually danced with natives just in circle with their songs, appreciated their culture while some pendu schmuck made a random comment against- aah ki gyani nuo bhot chimbar gaya..!!..again we(punjabis) are quite ungrateful community..you would think we would learn from suitation of punjab where bhaiyes from bihar/up- anti social nut bars- infiltrating punjab, killing our culture being anti social and not do same thing in canada, you would think we wouldn't stop to their level (of abusing generosity of Punjabi) just like in Canada abusing (sit home cuss christmas at the same time- double dip- take time off, claim overtime/double time/triple time), generosity of major canadians including aboriginals who celebrate christmas as their national holiday.

So again, all this coming from someone who don't celebrate christmas personally or have christmas tree but at the same time, take part in national holiday by wish everyone i would see on dec 25th- Merry Christmas..!!

Damn veer ji we are alike!You should come over to my house and you can teach me more about Sikhi.:)

People please learn from n30 singh.

Dont hate.Just let live.

Show us where Satguru has practiced Holi? Did Satguru change his views as he got older about Holi? Did he tell Sikhs differently after "growing up". Then come back with this older and younger nonsense. It holds no weight in Sikhi. At the age of 20 and 35 above Holi cannot be practiced. The directions by Satguru are simple, yet the older some get the more they want to rebel against Satguru's teachings. I guess they get the mentality now they are wise.............hear me meeoooww..........

The best part of seeing an old guy debate with a youth is that the youth sticks to Sikhi and the old person keeps bringing up rubbish. ONce the youth has beaten him to the ground............then the older person says.............you are young............you have not witness the world as much.........you will find out later........But really the old guy wanted to say was...............in full rage............why did you embrass me in front of everyone, add couple swear words, who are you to speak on any topic.....im older than you.....you can't talk back to me.

So take a hint................don't send your kids to a proper Gurmat school they will empower them to cut down the old minded thinking in a second.............and you don't want that, so send them to a school where they only learn to say white pure, brown bad, black evil, and Sikh speaking on freedom and rights, put them in jail and torture them.

Basically, gursikhs should have right balance- no one is expecting gursikhs nor it should to bend over backwards and annihilate themselves in interfaith- be it eid, christmas scream out their lungs by singing haleijuh in choir or allah ho with head spinning etc but with that being said gursikhs should have a right balance - guru maharaj has given very great sidhant of enjoying/appreciating other religions/cultural and have unity with diversity and integrate well be appreciative of other cultures- which means take part in wishing other culture/religions their holiday to have healthy inter faith relationships with others. I mean i cannot beleive i mentioning this this should be first nature for all sikhs when sikhs guru themselves were embodiment of holding inter-faith in their darbars i.e- 52 kavis and even making maseta for muslims/gave shaheediyan so oppressed hindus can practice their faith without any oppression:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/67933-guru-sahib-smiling/

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_ki_maseet