Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

Doaba Jee, I just want to know the name of the brahmgiani in your kahani becase i would like to phone him, he does have the right to know that he is being used to promote manmat of christmas celebration.

Secondly, the term teek ha does not have to mean agreement. In punjabi conversation when the listener is listening to the teller, very often the listener will say teek ha to confim that he is listening to what the teller is saying. This type of teek ha does not have to mean he agrees with manmat.

I already told you its up to you whether or not you believe me, if i was gonna give their name i would have already.

Yes you have a point but a normal person would maybe not say anything further whereas a Brahmgiani would.

Everyone(the post I read) was respectful in this thread until you came along and called malwa people moorakh.

Veer Ji that was a joke. It was also an inside joke with another member. Anyway we make all discussions far too serious here so a little humour doesnt hurt. Even if it wasnt an inside joke its still quite obvious that i was joking, especially seeing as my name is Mr "Doaba". To explain further people from Doaba and Malwa tend to joke around with each other, boasting that their respective regions are better. It was also a reference to the many divides we have and how this is one of them and how im also a part of it. Yet i dont take it seriously, instead i take a more humorous approach to it. The other things which made it clear i was joking was the smiley and the fact i wrote "haha!!"

Sorry if you were offended but you need to loosen up.

Assuming you're from Malwa and seeing as you didnt understand that i was joking, my orginal joke has just been reinforced! :tongue2: <<<< Im JOKING!!!!!!!

If you can't take it, then don't dish it out. I have no problem being respectful to those that show respect.

Sorry but this is just not true. You rarely, if ever, be respectful in your posts.

Going back to the topic:

When we were kids, we celebrated Christmas. We had a tree, we knew that Santa would come down the chimney and give us presents - awesome toys to play with, awesome TV to watch, lots of awesome food. It had a special feeling that I still remember now with fondness. We did't know or care about Jesus. As we grew older, we became more aware of the Christian aspect of it. Consequently, we drew away from celebrating Christmas more and more.

Looking at it now, as an adult, Christmas has several meanings:

- birth of Christ: we should not be celebrating Jesus' birthday more than we seem to "celebrate" Guru Ji's birthday.

- St Nicholas giving presents: instead of spending money to buy each other a load of stuff that we don't need, why not use that money to charity. I was most humbled by a police officer buying a homeless man a new pair of shoes for the winter.

- end of the year: I know the Sikh "New Year" is celebrated at a different time, but we use the Gregorian calendar in our everyday lives and holds more value. In some ways, I can see the appeal of celebrating a "new year" especially in a Gurdwara and think it's an excellent thing. The only other time I see so much sangat is on Vaisakhi. The question I have is: is it worth celebrating "time"? We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries and new years but surely these are arbitary measurements that we have attributed value to, much like the stone/murti issues descrived above?

- a time for family to get together: most people have time off at Xmas so can meet relatives whom you've not met for a while. For me, this is what's important about Xmas.

Without the religous attachment, I see through the consumerism that is Xmas. I've stopped celebrating it. I have no tree. No presents for me. But the dilemma I have is: do I allow my children to celebrate Xmas? Do I deny them the experience that I had as a child? It was a wholly positive time for me and the only really happy bits of my childhood.

Veer Ji that was a joke. It was also an inside joke with another member. Anyway we make all discussions far too serious here so a little humour doesnt hurt. Even if it wasnt an inside joke its still quite obvious that i was joking, especially seeing as my name is Mr "Doaba". To explain further people from Doaba and Malwa tend to joke around with each other, boasting that their respective regions are better. It was also a reference to the many divides we have and how this is one of them and how im also a part of it. Yet i dont take it seriously, instead i take a more humorous approach to it. The other things which made it clear i was joking was the smiley and the fact i wrote "haha!!"

Sorry if you were offended but you need to loosen up.

Assuming you're from Malwa and seeing as you didnt understand that i was joking, my orginal joke has just been reinforced! :tongue2: <<<< Im JOKING!!!!!!!

Sorry but this is just not true. You rarely, if ever, be respectful in your posts.

From the inside black as a pot from the outside all smiles........ :biggrin2:

No difference between the now xmas and the now diwali/bandi chor celebrations where its all about meat shrab and fireworks.. The funny thing is that "sikhs" will declare war for a non sikh claiming diwli/bandi chor being a about shraab an fireworks....but its ok to put tree of xmas for "fun"... For those sikhs whoput up the tree,do you tell your kids about jesus or that the xmas tree is the sargun form of akal because guru nanak wason holiday in december.

If you don't like christmas trees, then don't have them. If they don't bother you, but you find them a part of this holiday season, then carry on.

I don't think that christmas or a tree can actually make any person MORE or LESS a sikh in any way.

If you feel that it has affected someone and made them walk away from the path of sikhi, then say so.

This seems like a a very petty argument with two sides trying to justify.

The fact is that if we are here in the west, then this time of the year is 'holiday' because of the festive season. If we are so anti-christmas, then we have no right to be off work and enjoying time with family do we ??

In a country where our mother tongue is not so, we shouldn't mock their cultures or way of living. If it really annoys us and messes with our faithand spirituality, then we should shut up and go back to Punjab!!!

Exactly lucky singh......please allow me toexagerrate.... A man with kesh/beard is a sikh just like a mona is a sikh. Fantastic merry xmas..lucky make sure you dont circumcise on eid as a blessing from westcelebration. Again cut your hair or go back to pujabanb and live with your morals there.. Which is pretty much the "west" view...not the 10 per cent propaganda news you watch making you belive you are one of them.....

By the way if youare under18 then sorry..and we are all one in the west including the somalians in the west london southall..praise mohammed as we are equal in the west...... soon to be sharia law......if you are over 18 get ur gloves on son....also when panjabi girls f bout wiv pakis dont get mad.. As itswestern ways......

There are no sulas where I live!!!!

We are in white mans land, so why the hell worry about eid and chopping your willy ??

Western ways does NOT mean accepting the cultural influences enforced on the rest of the population by pakis!

Thats why punjabi sikhs are different, we don't go to other mans land and try to convert them all do we ???

By the way if youare under18 then sorry..and we are all one in the west including the somalians in the west london southall..praise mohammed as we are equal in the west...... soon to be sharia law......if you are over 18 get ur gloves on son....also when panjabi girls f bout wiv pakis dont get mad.. As itswestern ways......

I think your NUTS!!!!

What if i'm married to a paki ??

There are no sulas where I live!!!!

We are in white mans land, so why the hell worry about eid and chopping your willy ??

Western ways does NOT mean accepting the cultural influences enforced on the rest of the population by pakis!

Thats why punjabi sikhs are different, we don't go to other mans land and try to convert them all do we ???

I think your NUTS!!!!

What if i'm married to a paki ??

Don't be rasicst.

Mods please close this topic.To much hate.