My ears hurt

TheFancyBanana

If you are a doctor you should kknow that declofenac sodium is not just a painkiller but an anti inflammatory. If you read my post very much more sharply you would realise that I have indicated that the description provided so far does indeed indicate soreness, redness as well as some swelling accentuated everytime the ears come into contact and get covered, and for that I dont see why taking an anti inflammatory with the additional benefit of numbing and soothing the pain should be so feared especially if it is meant for a very short term basis. Also I do not think it is right to rubbish other's opinions by declaring that you are a doctor because doctors can make mistakes like anyone else. You may be a doctor but others may have also shown the description provided so far to skin consultants within the medical fraternity to ensure and verify correct advice was being given. If indeed you are a doctor maybe you could offer this singh with an ear problem to come to your clinic for a free private consultation where you could examine his ears more thoroughly and decide what is best. At the end of the day it is his ears not mine and neither yours and he has been given a range of advices and it is for him to decide that according to the condition of his ears which is the best way forward. We are all only here, not to nit prick one another and use this as a sheild to improve our debating skills, but rather to offer our humble individual advice from our nijee point of view. My mother was not a doctor but her simple pieces of advice have always helped to keep my skin shiny, healthy and radiant, and on the other hand my best friend nearly died of being misdiagnosed for the wrong disease and Gurujee gave me the insight to warn me that this doctor was blatantly wrong and made me present the symtoms to another doctor who then quickly changed the medicine and saved my friend's life. So, being a doctor does not mean you are perfect in your understanding, and I would rather you show more humility in your response. Only God and Guru can be perfect, no one else, and its always wise to play down your credentials in public. Shree Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaj never had to declare to others that He was a Guru.

1. Stating my profession was only to highlight the reasoning behind my background. As I have learnt through Sikhi, only Naam is the only drug which has no side-effects. Hence medication should be used with caution. Consequently, I felt it was my duty to point this issue out. I don't normally go around identifying my profession unless there's a particular need to do so. Quite happy being anonymous 99.9% of the time.

2. Giving medical advice if you have no medical background can be detrimental and I have seen patients die needlessly because they sought advice from other people rather than go see a doctor.

3. I have never heard of any skin condition which benefitted from oral NSAIDs (other than maybe panniculitis) - I would be grateful if you point out which particular conditions it benefits. I ask this as oral NSAIDs are more likely to cause skin problems than anything else. Topical steroids and topical NSAIDs on the other hand do benefit the skin.

4. I suspect OP may be suffering from chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis. Whilst I agree that he needs to be seen to be diagnosed, if correct then again NSAIDs are not the answer.

5. If he did need oral NSAIDs, why not start off with ibuprofen? Less nephrotoxic, fewer side-effects and if it responded, it would provide some benefit.

I think your problem is not so much about your medical advise but the manner in which you came into the discussion slashing away at others in what can be perceived/give an impression as being harsh and rough. No one gets paid to give advice on here to others and we are all here to talk to each other in the humblest way possible. Anyone who comes to this site is taking precious time out to read what someone is saying and sincerely doing their best, all of us in our little ways to the best of our abilities to be loving, kind, caring and helpful. It is just not what you say that is important but how you say it especially in a Sikhi context. If not, no matter whether we are lawyers, architects, engineers, or doctors, we will be carrying forward the same disease of always fighting with one another that has plagued the past generations. Being gentle and soft, and appreciative are very important hall marks of a Sikh's character.

You do not really need to state your profession to highlight the reasoning behind your background,in this particular case, just as Guru Nanak Dev Jee Maharaj never had to mention that He was Jagat Guru in order to highlight the reasoning behind His Divine Vichars. I keep stressing that neither me, nor anyone else is recommending bhai sahib to resort to long term usage of AIs or PKs but rather to make changes to how his beautiful keshkee and dastaar are tied. Hence I am baffled that you felt you needed to stamp your feet down to declare that you are a doctor because you somehow felt that this bhai sahib was being given some sort of dangerous medical advice! No one was, or is, encouraging him to go and buy over the counter products from a pharmacy, but rather, to actually call or even see his GP who would assess any suggestions from either you, me or anyone else about the prognosis and proscribe accordingly. You are assured that the nature of your response would have been enough to help anyone suss out your profession. Alternatively, as I suggested, out of your brotherly love, you could offer to give him an examination at your clinic too, since now he has mentioned further problems to do with his ears too, such as the black scabs in his further posts down the thread, especially if you both live in the UK. That would help you determine the exact problem and help him out.

On the other hand, of course, on this website, we promote and encourage a Sikhi and Naam based lifestyle to anyone and everyone, instead of one based on being trigger happy on the long term dependency on any kind of drug as far as it is possible, according to one's medical condition. This is a very delicate and sensitive subject because as Gurbani declares ''so kath janae pirh parai, ja ke antar derdh na paeee''.

You are wrong in saying Naam has no side effects haha! Naam (and doing plenty of naam simran) as a powerful drug DOES have a lot of side effects! haha. They include feeling very very very very high, and very very very very verrrrrrrrrrrrry full of ecstasy and anand and blis, and feeling verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry chardikela! and getting vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry close to Gurujee and the mind, body and spirit feeling verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry empowered and enlightened. The side effects are so powerful that as Bhagat Kabir says his family declared him to be ''bigheerea'' and as Gurbani says''koee kheh betala'' hehe.