And So The Kumbh Mela Begins

PAL 07

Sikhs do not believe in ritual purification. This Kumbh Mela is not for us.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Siree Raag on Pannaa 75
theerathh varath such sa(n)jam naahee karam dhharam nehee poojaa ||
Pilgrimages, fasts, purification and self-discipline are of no use, nor are rituals, religious ceremonies or empty worship
Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Prabhaatee on Pannaa 1343
nivalee karam bhua(n)gam bhaat(h)ee raechak poorak ku(n)bh karai ||
You may perform exercises of inner purification, and fire up the furnace of the Kundalini, inhaling and exhaling and holding the breath.
bin sathigur kishh sojhee naahee bharamae bhoolaa boodd marai ||
Without the True Guru, you will not understand; deluded by doubt, you shall drown and die.
a(n)dhhaa bhariaa bhar bhar dhhovai a(n)thar kee mal kadhae n lehai ||
The spiritually blind are filled with filth and pollution; they may wash, but the filth within shall never depart.

The following is is what purification is for a Sikh

Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Bhairao on Pannaa 1145
naam hamaarai majan eisanaan ||
The Naam is my cleansing bath and purification.
Guru Amar Daas Ji in Raag Malaar on Pannaa 1286
har sar theerathh jaan manooaa naaeiaa ||
The Lord is my sacred shrine of pilgrimage and pool of purification; I wash my mind in Him.

Sorry for the late reply guys, couple of things..it wasn't my intention to compare both ganga river or amritsar sarovar or any ethasik gurdwara's sarovars for that matter but rather i was trying to show a point sarovars be it(hindus- ganga or sikhs- sarovar) both have healing properties (to heal people just physically) not because of its location or belonging but rather it has divine presence of sant mahapursh bhramgyani maha rishiya sadhu and their bhagti on god's name period..off course healing properties itself its not going to work, devotion is usually two way street. There are many stories of amritsar sarovar and other ethashik gurdawaras sarovars healing people physically and there are many stories of ganga healing people physically just google it ..given fact devotion and faith is there for person who is going to tiraths to get healed..also on another note- not all hindu orders are sargun upasakhas, they are gyan nirgun orders out there in hindu umbrella of different school of thoughts its like saying all sikhs are pseduo missionaries/hippy sanatan nangs- how ignorant and stupid that sounds eh?

I am not sure why we are even talking about this and trying to push (mine is better than yours, yours is inferior) when guru maharaj already told us- biggest tirath is naam and without naam simran, without shabad naam enshirned in your heart, all that is useless -including karam kaand performed by many sikhs wrap their head around taking ishnan in amritsar sarovar or ethahisik gurdwaras sarovar without meditating on shabad/gurbani ...!!

Gurbani says again and again that no amount of washing and bathing can cleanse your sins.

Only by meditating on God and living an honest life, can one make oneself pure.

No body of water has the ability to cure disease. Not the sorovar in Amritsar, nor the Ganges river. If they did, then Guru Arjan dev ji wouldn't have built a hospital for lepers. He would have just told them to swim in the sorovar or the Ganges.

In fact, there would be no need for modern medicine or aryuvedic "treatments". Just go swim in some holy water.