1984+ Shaheeds of 1984?

Into the Light

Whilst Sikhi is against the caste system...it's quite apparant that some members of the Ravidas community are vilifying the Dharam Yugh Morcha and the sangarsh that took place after by saying it was the 'high castes' oppressing the 'low castes'. Does anyone know namesof some Singh's/Singhni's from these time periods who attained Shaheedi and would have had ancestral lineage with the Ravidass community?

Thanks

Whilst Sikhi is against the caste system...it's quite apparant that some members of the Ravidas community are vilifying the Dharam Yugh Morcha and the sangarsh that took place after by saying it was the 'high castes' oppressing the 'low castes'. Does anyone know namesof some Singh's/Singhni's from these time periods who attained Shaheedi and would have had ancestral lineage with the Ravidass community?

Thanks

When transpired that meant the 'low castes' felt they were being threatened by the 'high castes'?

All one needs to do is go onto Twitter and see what is being said. Even on issues such as Dera Sucha Sauda are being made out to be 'high caste' oppressing 'low caste'. We know this is untrue. This is now also being said about 1984 to bad mouth the movement. So if we can start highlighting Shaheeds from the movement who may have an ancestral background of the Ravidass community..it prevents such debate from taking place.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

dont really want to talk about caste and the background of our Shaheeds, but yes we need to shed light on the misconceptions about Sikhi and the movement.

On the top of my head people who came from a none socalled jat background are

:

Bhai Ranjit Singh who socalled background was Ramgarihar he was selected as Sri Akaal Takhat Jathadar

Shaheed Bhai Beant Singh was socalled low caste

Bibi Bimal Kaur Khalsa singhni of Shaheed Bhai Beant Singh ji was elected as a MP in 1989

Shaheed Bhai Kehar Singh ji who was hanged came from a low caste

Bhai Sukhwinder Singh Gora Lt General Khalistan Commando Force

will try to get more names, in the movement the issue of caste didnot rise much as everyone had the same vision to become Shaheed for Sikhi, the people who play the caste card were the ones who didnot have the attention to fight and die for Sikhi

Guest dasguruka

This one person worked in Punjab police at the time and he said majority of the people that they detained were mazhbi Sikhs and when asked why they were into the movement they would say its an order from high command. It wasn't something out of the ordinary. Mazhbi Sikhs have been on front lines since the old times. However, I believe the Singhs from higher castes have equally contributed to dharam yudh morcha. Its just that lower castes efforts go unnoticed in the mainstream or simply ignored. The one thing that sticks out is that these people who sacrifice their lives regardless of their caste have true love for the Guru and believe in equality.

Sorry... kinda of related. I made a thread about it but the new book Sikhs in Europe by Knut A. Jacobsen, Kristina Myrvold talks about Caste, Ravidas community etc... to be honest I feel sorry for "low"caste people and what they have had to put up with... makes you think who really are the "low" castes... the way Jatts behave I'd categorize them as low... in the book it shows how Jatts have a unjustified superiority complex... really interesting read with an analysis of this stupid mentality and where it has come from...

I don't nomally like to get into these debates but this is an ironic debate given the battle of Chamkaur is being commemorated.

As we commemorate the battle of Chamkaur, how many people are aware of who Bhai Sangat Singh Ji was? How many gurdwarae around the world ackowledge what he did and the community he was from and the sacrifices made by that community? "Inhi ki kirpa kay saje hum hai" - what was the history behind that?Fast forward that to 1984, it is little wonder that gurdwarae are ashamed to ackowledge sacrifices made by non-jatts, as if it somewhow belittles the contribution made be jatts. Subsequently, a generation of so-called Sikhs will emerge with little or no knowledge of their own history.

I recall my father telling me that whilst he was at work on 31st October 1984 in Heathrow Airport, news emerged that Indira Ghandi had been assasinated by her own Sikh bodyguards, the jatts were beside themselves. Honestly, they were literally doing bhangra in Terminal 3. The usual hyperbole was spoken of i.e. "we knew a jatt would take revenge" etc. The following day, however, it emerged it was Shaheed Bhai Beant Singh Ji and the community he was from. Quite frankly, the the same jatts who were so over joyed that they were almost incontinent 24 hours previously, were now as quiet as a mouse. Either they all have split personalities or they simply couldn't bring it within themselves that a non-jatt could finish her off. They shouldn't be surprised, afterall this has been happening from the days of Bhai Sangat Singh ji.

Quite pathetic. Actually, very, very pathetic indeed.

• 2 weeks later...