question about high school

Sister

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

i have a question about high school....

for those of you that are/were amrit dharri when you go/went to high school ....

When people ask(ed) you about your gathra.. like if they saw it.. like in the changing room when your changing for PE or just when ever.. what did u say it was... without showing your kirpan?.. .because we arent really supposed to wear kirpans to school and even if we are ... the school officials tell us not to show it to any one... so wat would you tell the person wat a gathra is?...

would u just make up something... like...oh! it helps me remember god.. or something ... or would you just change the subject and walk away trying not to answer the question (thats wat i did) ... im just curious about wat you would tell the people at your school (the gorrai).

i have asked many people around where i live.. and they really had no clue.. they kind of just said what i have for examples.. thats where i got the examples from.. some one said to just say.. it helps me remember god.. but then its like.. how does it help you remember god.. and then we have like no proper answer and we just have to make up stuff???

well.. i hope you give your input...

and if any one has questions that they wanna know about high school .. they should ask... cause im interested in what questions people would ask.. and how you would or others would respond to the questions...

Waheguroo Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguroo Ji Ki Fateh!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a friend of mine who recently came from Vancouver BC goes to high school in sacramento. Him and his dad got into a argument with school officals over the kirpan issue and at end he is allowed to wear kirpan but the whole kirpan is covered with plastic glue material. I took some pictures and will put em up here. I think that's only legal way in california high school so far..

when my brother went to school he talked with the principal.. and they allowed it.. because it was for religious reasons..

i dont know exactly want happened.. but he was allowed to..

then after.. everytime i went to the same school.. the prinicpal changed.. so then we never told the new one.. but some of the teachers still knew about it.. and they wouldnt mind..

at our school.. there are world religion classes.. and they teach about sikhism in them.. so some people kno a lil bit about.. even tho they dont teach that much .. but they still kno a lil bit

vaaheguroojeeekaakhaalsaaaaaa

vaaheguroooojeeeeeekeeeeeeeefathehhhh!!!!!!!!!

bhainjee,

it depends firstly on where you live ---

in vancouver it's quite widely accepted - and if you're from vancouver and you're scared to wear your kirpan to school, please e-mail me and we can fix the problem

in calgary, montreal, toronto, winnipeg, etc. the problem varies - some places it's much more accepted and some places less. but you never know these days - look at what happened with those singhs in toronto (jasdev singh, damanpreet singh, jungbir singh and the other singhs) - the police just literally jumped the gun on them for having sri sahibs.

in the usa, it's harder - but it depends who you talk to and how you talk. i was allowed to wear my sri sahib onto the empire state building in july 2002 - when people were still really uptight and afraid since the september 11 attacks.

the first step is always friendship and knowledge. become very friendly with the principal at your school, and after some weeks give them lots of detailed education and information on the kirpan and how students all over can wear them.

if you are afraid to show it to your principal because you think it will be banned - some people might tell you, "no you should go to your principal"

actually i say "no, do whatever you think is according to gurmat. Akaal Purakh is our sachee sarkar, not your principal."

(but it depends on your will power).

if somebody in the locker room sees your gatra - what you say also depends on your will power and your honesty. if you say "it's part of my religious unifo

rm" you are not lying but you are not saying "it's the belt for my sacred sword of grace" :lol:

every situation is unique - the best way to deal with it is to honestly think in your heart what Guru Sahib would like you to do in that situation. Because Guru Sahib is our true King. "kou har samaan nahee raajaa || eyh bhoopat sabh divas chaar kay jhootay karat divaajaa||"

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jee,

vaaheguroooojeekaakhaalsaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vaaheguroojeekeeeeeeefathehhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

well..for me.until now no one knowz i'm wearing a kirpan...only my close frenz...but they dun ask much coz i tell them itz religion thingy...

n well..to be on the safe side..tie ur gatra on ur waist...then no one can c...tatz wat i do...n btw...i dun think it matters the way u tie the gatra rite??? hope no arguements on this.

hope this helps..

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

because we arent really supposed to wear kirpans to school and even if we are ... the school officials tell us not to show it to any one... so wat would you tell the person wat a gathra is?...

Let me get this straight, you only wear the gatra and not the kirpan? That's no different than wearing a janeo as a brahman.

If you can't follow in rehat then you're not a Sikh. Don't be scared of what people might think, but of what Guru Gobind Singh ji will think.

Search on the board for kirpan related issues, its been discussed numerous times.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Here's my situation I go to school with my kirpan (gupt)

i'm considering asking for permission from the principle, as there's previously beena case, where a Singh wasn't aloud to go to school, adn the school was reported blah blah blah, and the Singhs won the case, but the defence autorny won because it was a 'SMALL UN-´HARMFUL SYMBOL, which couldn't harm anyone!!!'

when he was asked by the press, tha if it was a dagger, would u take the case, and they go 'A dagger is a lharmful and dangerous weapon, whilst Kirpan is not, so probably not'

and I've got a Kirpan with a 6" blade (9" total) which is quite big. I was considering talking tot he principle and show him the article where another Singh won the case(this Singh had a Small SRi SAhib tho) and tell him that I want permission,a gain I won't in any circumstance SHOW the kirpan, I'll say im not aloud to)

what does Sangat think?

right now I get quite worried when someone finds out, today 4 Studenyts know about it (one is a friend, 3 are classmates, who saw it stickign out of the shirt - didn't pull down the short properly blush.gif ) I trust they wont tell anyone - as I todl them not to-

BUT you recon i Should ask him for permisison

if he says no - I'll still wear one - but it's safer - but i dunnu - what does Sangat think :T: Shoudl i ask permission or not? tha would save me from hassle if a teacher sees it..

bhull chukk maaf

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!