Bibek

I wrote this not long ago, this is based on my research..take whatever you will- starting practicing true bibek picking up good things from my post and leaving the rest which you don't agree :

Bibek is a very big term, has very broader meanings so i just wanted to make sure i break it down so its easier for people not to confuse or mix up things:

Bibek literally means- bib= duality, ek= one

1. Bibek- Bibek mentioned in gurbani talks about inner bibek- every human is born with it- inner bibek literally means- discriminatory power of intellect within human mind to separate good attributes from bad and take good things from bad. Inner bibek/sensory intellect- is quite important as important as other human attributes such as- sat, santokh, dya, sabar, vichar etc.

ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੇਰਾ ॥

bibaek budhh sathigur thae paaee gur giaan guroo prabh kaeraa ||
From the True Guru, I have obtained a discriminating intellect; the Guru has revealed the spiritual wisdom of God.

2. Outer bibek- Outer bibek mostly refers to take in food, is inter-twined with inner bibek as its proven, whatever you have eat thats what your mind becomes. There are three types of food- satogun, rajoguni, tamoguni. Outer bibek helps us to pick right food i.e- satoguni food (not enrich of mirch/masala-rajogun) for bhagti/meditation/spirituality etc.

If one has lived in the samparda's dera- one will learn for gristhi- you need 70 satoguni and 30 rajoguni diet to keep your other half happy (you know what i mean.) or if one chooses to be behingum (celibate) and serve sikhi- he has to have 100% satoguni diet.

Based on my own research- both inner bibek and outer bibek is must in sikhi as they both intertwined with each other and its very important in gurdwaras but its unfortunate how gurdwara's are ignoring satoguni food very balanced and simple food for all sangat so that everyone can eat despite of their health problems.

3. Bibek of not eating from non -amritdharis/even amritdharis who don't have same diet as them, just cook your own food. This is optional. . If it helps them, thats great.However, for some people it further helps to maintain their outer bibek to make sure- food they are eating its consistent- satoguni. They have to ensure food they are eating its little, full of nutrients and mainly satoguni otherwise it will defeat purpose..

4. Sarbloh bibek- originally started in nihang dals (still on going)to avoid strictly any kind of infiltration from outsider- mughal/mona's/patit and eat in iron- as its very enrich and high in iron. This is highest outer bibek, when there is bibek pehra- there is certain energy behind it, which cannot be ignored. Again its good to have but its optional and again- they have to ensure food they are eating its little, full of nutrients and mainly satoguni otherwise it will defeat purpose for example- having chocolate cake in sarbloh batta kinda defeats the purpose.

Each one of bibeks have levels and each bibek above are landmarks in spirituality, its there to help you out- its a landmark not a destination- its meant to help you but if caution is not placed by those who are practicing it, it could make these landmarks into road blocks if ones wrap their head around it could easily make these bibeks into mere karam kandis/dogma/ego trip. It's not bibek itself which makes it dogma, its people make it dogma and thats the key here..!!!

There are many stories but one such story in jivan kiranie - biography of sant javala singh ji harkhowale - where one of bhramgyanis broke ahankar of bibeki singh who made bibek into dogma. Best way to learn about bibek is from mahapursh. a) they know levels of listed bibeks- when to apply, when not to apply b) provide cautionary guidance to avoid- turning bibek to karam kand/dogma/ego trip. There are many those who are inspired by bhagat ji- bhagat jaswant singh ji who is sarblohi bibeki mahapursh here in Canada but those who are inspired by him please do learn levels of bibek from him- when to apply and when not to apply bibek. I was with him in grouse mountain all the way to the summit and i clearly saw with my own eyes- despite of him being sarblohi bibek he pulled up - plastic natural spring water bottle to drink water few times, thats a clear indication of mahapursh not making bibek into dogma/karam kaand/ dogma ritual and there are similar stories of my own teacher- sant jagjit singh ji harkhowale who is 70 and cooked his own food all his life- he is not sarbloh bibeki but he is very strict dietary bibeki, despite of being strict bibeki/celibate mahapursh knows when to apply bibek and when not to apply bibek and he does not pro-actively promote it to the sangat who wishes to visit him as most of sangat who visits him are in gristh jevan have partners have diference of opnions on things and besides looking at the affairs of sikhs these days, mahapursh obviously knows how quickly it can become dogma despite of him being strick dietary bibeki by looking at the sad affairs- he openly gave tarna in katha- to those who made dietary bibek into dogma.!!

Satoguni food

Although foods are not specifically defined in the panth here are list of more generic food which are broken down into rajo, tamo and sato..i got this from atam marg website long time ago:

i) tamoguna (ii) rajasguna (iii) satoguna

'tamas' food, includes intake of meat, fish, wine eggs etc. This food brings laziness to the man. He is likely to turn away from God and his God-consciousness is diminished. In 'rajas' is included pertaining of spicy and rich food for the sake of palate only. Heavy and rich food leads to numerous diseases.' Eat a bit less than your requirement. 'Satoguna' food includes partaking of vegetables, milk*, curd, butter and cereals etc.- It means purity of mind, purity of body, purity of speech, purity of clothes, and purity of thought.

I think sunsingh member of this forum should be best person to also answer your question in full detail..he has done research on type of food as well or anyone who have spent time with bhagat jaswant singh ji and read more into food.

Thanks Veerji,

Could you also give us some examples of satoguni foods?

It is quite interesting and very useful.

Yes, there are many of us that will argue that foods are not going to make one more spiritual or more gurmat.

But even for those they will admit that a diet of potato chips,pizza and fizzy cola is not going to help them get enlightened in any way !!!

So, in reality there is something there, but what exactly is it ?

Neoji, has rightfully pointed in the correct direction and interestingly this information is more widely available than I previously thought.

The key is to class foods into categories in line with the 3 gunas.

Below, we have 'Sattvic ' foods or the ones under satoguna.that can be found listed in Wiki

Sattvic foods

Fresh nuts and seeds that have not been overly roasted and salted are good additions to the sattvic diet in small portions.[citation needed] Choices include almonds (especially when peeled and soaked in water overnight), coconuts, pine nuts, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds. Oils should be of good quality and cold-pressed. Some choices are olive oil, sesame oil and flax oil.

Fruit

Fruit is one of the most sattvic foods, along with milk and honey.[citation needed] The sattvic diet considers these foods pure is because they are obtained without hurting the organism they come from—in fact humans help that other organism. We care for the fruit tree, and it provides life-sustaining nutrients. We care for the cow, and the cow provides life-sustaining nutrients. We care for the honey bee hive, and so on. It is also so sattvic because fruits are very tridoshic: they are sweet, sour, and astringent—in perfect proportions. The fruit must be eaten on an empty stomach, by itself, and must be sweet and ripe.[citation needed]

Dairy

The milk must be obtained from an animal that has a spacious outdoor environment, an abundance of pasture to feed on, water to drink, is treated with love and care, and is not pregnant. The milk may only be collected once the mother's calf has its share. Dairy products like yogurt and cheese (paneer) must be made that day, from milk obtained that day. Butter must be fresh daily as well, and raw; but ghee (clarified butter) can be aged forever, and is great for cooking. Freshness is key with dairy. Milk that is freshly milked from a happy cow, still warm, is nectar to man and woman. Milk that is not consumed fresh can be refrigerated for one to two weeks in its raw state, but must be brought to a boil before drinking, and drank while still hot/warm. Pasteurization, homogenization, and the use of GMOs and pesticides are all poisonous to human. As is the consumption of milk from cows that are treated poorly, and consuming cold milk.[citation needed]

Vegetables

Most mild vegetables are considered sattvic. Pungent vegetables like hot peppers, leek, garlic and onion are excluded, as are gas-forming foods such as mushrooms (tamasic, as are all fungi) and potatoes. As a general rule, the Solanaceae family (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and potatoes) and the Allium family (garlic, onion, leeks, shallots), as well as fungus (yeasts, molds, and mushrooms) are considered by some practitioners not sattvic. The classification of whether something is sattvic or not is defined largely by the different schools of thought and even then individually understanding and needs of practitioners. Sometimes the given nature of these foods can be neutralised by careful preparation. A practice is to drink freshly made vegetable juices for their prana, live enzymes, and easy absorption.[citation needed]

Whole grains

Whole grains provide nourishment. Some include organic rice, whole wheat, spelt, oatmeal and barley. Sometimes the grains are lightly roasted before cooking to remove some of their heavy quality. Yeasted breads are not recommended, unless toasted. Wheat and other grains can be sprouted before cooking as well. Some preparations are kicharee (brown or white basmati rice cooked with whole or split mung beans, ghee and mild spices), kheer (rice cooked with milk and sweetened), chapatis (non-leavened whole wheat flat bread), porridge (sometimes made very watery and cooked with herbs), and “Bible” bread (sprouted grain bread). Sometimes yogis will fast from grains during special practices.[citation needed]

Legumes

Mung beans, lentils, yellow split peas, chickpeas, aduki beans, common beans, organic tofu, and bean sprouts are considered sattvic if well prepared. In general, the smaller the bean, the easier to digest. Preparations include splitting, peeling, grinding, soaking, sprouting, cooking and spicing. Legumes combined with whole grains can offer a complete protein source.

Sweeteners

Some yogis use raw honey (often in combination with dairy) and jaggery a raw sugar (not refined). In some traditions, sugar and/or honey are excluded from the diet.

Spices

Sattvic spices are mild spices including basil, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, fresh ginger and turmeric. Rajasic spices like black pepper and red pepper are normally excluded, but are sometimes used in small amounts, both to clear channels blocked by mucus and to counter tamas.

Sattvic herbs

Other herbs are used to directly support sattva in the mind and in meditation. These include ashwagandha, bacopa, calamus, gotu kola, gingko, jatamansi, purnarnava, shatavari, saffron, shankhapushpi, tulsi and rose.

I had also read somewhere previously that certain sikhs that maintain a strict bibek rehit also avoid pungent spices like garlic and onion!!- It makes more sense when you look at the above info!!!

Luckysingh thanks for posting more detail on this..that was great read.

I had also read somewhere previously that certain sikhs that maintain a strict bibek rehit also avoid pungent spices like garlic and onion!!- It makes more sense when you look at the above info!!!

Yes actually garlic and onion both can increases sexual energy also makes one indraie(senses) loose focus- makes one lazy.. celibate are discouraged to eat garlic. In fact, baba banda singh bahudar although not a celibate, he was strict staunch in his diet- onion and garlic were not allowed in his jatha.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Can someone tell me what is the real meaning of bibek? Besides diet.

A good book to read about this would be Gurmat Bibek by Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh. He goes into all the different types of Bibek. Simran Bibek and Rehat Bibek. Out of which Sarbloh Bibek is one, others are Amritvela, Ishnaan, Dasvandh etc.