Farlas are assoociated with Nihangs, who existed prior to the creation of the Khalsa. I highly doubt that every Sikh wore a farla otherwise you would see references to the farla in artwork depicting Sikhs from the period and also see reference to the farla in historical accounts recorded in the works of the British and other writers.

I have never seen paintings or artwork that show anyone other than Nihangs wearing farlas. I have never seen any historical texts or writings that suggest that all Sikhs wore farlas. If this was the case there would definitely be historical evidence to support this.

Modern day jathas have however hikacked Nihang bana and starting wearing farlas without understanding it's historical relevance.

Farlas are assoociated with Nihangs, who existed prior to the creation of the Khalsa. I highly doubt that every Sikh wore a farla otherwise you would see references to the farla in artwork depicting Sikhs from the period and also see reference to the farla in historical accounts recorded in the works of the British and other writers.

I have never seen paintings or artwork that show anyone other than Nihangs wearing farlas. I have never seen any historical texts or writings that suggest that all Sikhs wore farlas. If this was the case there would definitely be historical evidence to support this.

Modern day jathas have however hikacked Nihang bana and starting wearing farlas without understanding it's historical relevance.

My friend, there was a time when every Sikh man, woman and child was a warrior.

Btw....what is a 'nihung' anyway ? The history books written by second rate Sikh scholars say the word 'nihung' is Persian for 'crocodile'. This is wrong. The word only exists in classical Persian but even then it does not translate as 'crocodile'. It actually translates as 'mythical sea creature', more along the lines of things like the loch ness monster and mythical Greek sea creatures.

Okay Guys, i Found out About the Farla

1) A Farla can only be worn by a Nihang Singh that has done alot of Seva for the Khalsa Panth of their Dal e.g. Harianvela, Bidhichandye (Tarna Dal), 96 crore (Budha dal) Like 15 years of seva, or as Bhai Vadhbhag Singh Akali Does the asa di vaar paath ( Puratan 3 hours long) keertan and thats Y he got his Farla. Or Bhai Sukha Singh Akali got his Farla Because of his gyaan in Sri Dasam Granth (from my knowledge).

2) I think only Panjva Takht Budha dal can give people Farlas like theres a Farla ceremony and then i think they tell the maryada and tie it upon the Gursikh.

3) There is a Big Maryada for the farladhari Nihang Singh, as

. Waking up early like 12Am

. Reading all of the Tarna Dal Gutka Sahib or more Bani in the morning?

. and should do alot of Seva as spreading the panth and to get people into sikhi

This is all i know now :)

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa!

Vaheguru JI Ki Fateh!

Akaaal!

My honest opinion is that we need serious scholars re-evaluating and re-writing Sikh scholars. To my mind, 50% of the things written by the accepted Sikh historians is either mistaken or plain false.

What we need is western born educated Sikhs getting educated in, among other things, the classical Persian language, and visiting academic institutions in places such as Kabul and Terhan to gain a better understanding of our history.

For too long we've been accepting as gospel either oral history or history written by second raters.