DJ Bobby Friction refuses to play songs with any mention of caste.

DailyMail

No one has mentioned the Sufi connection to those romance stories? The authors were Sufi.

Sufis believe they are the soul-brides of God, a theme which is present throughout Guru Granth Sahib as well.

Thus the relation between the man and the woman was a metaphor for the relationship between God and his soul-brides.

As for the Jatt link, it just captures Punjab. When you think of Punjab, you think of agriculture and farmland (at least you used too).

It's also a more romantic backdrop. Walking through the fields, as opposed to working in a carpenter's shop or bazaar.

Well done !!!

I'm glad someone out there knows this.

I used to be involved in the punjabi music industry quite a bit....

Bulleh Shah is one of the classic examples of someone who emphasized the God- soul bride connection.

It's amazing and shocking because only a few people I have met actually understand the real meaning of a classic like ''kamli yaar di kamli''. which is probably one of my favourites. !!

Well done !!!

I'm glad someone out there knows this.

I used to be involved in the punjabi music industry quite a bit....

Bulleh Shah is one of the classic examples of someone who emphasized the God- soul bride connection.

It's amazing and shocking because only a few people I have met actually understand the real meaning of a classic like ''kamli yaar di kamli''. which is probably one of my favourites. !!

Part of my fam is from Faridkot.

People from that area hold Baba Farid in high regard.

That's how I got into Sufi poetry.

Kamli Yaar di Kamli is one of my favorites too! I loved listening to it as a little kid, even before I understood the meaning.

You can try and mask up the stench by trying to connect to innocent sufi culture, but the problem wont go away.

That pure, spiritual sufi stuff isn't what people are complaining about here (and it certainly isn't what passes for Panjabi culture today). What you are doing is just obfuscation of the serious issue at hand.

This should be seen for what it is - progression. It's a no-brainer.

See for yourself - we have plenty of 'no-brainers' amongst us who resolutely refuse to see what damage caste does to our society.

You can try and mask up the stench by trying to connect to innocent sufi culture, but the problem wont go away.

That pure, spiritual sufi stuff isn't what people are complaining about here (and it certainly isn't what passes for Panjabi culture today). What you are doing is just obfuscation of the serious issue at hand.

You can't call music a stench because of some jatt/chamaar/takhaan/ sharaab songs.

Music is a much larger entity.

It's a shame that only a few can appreciate the gem,jewels and beauty of this art.

To ban songs on cast is knocking bhangra, it's not knocking music,

Bhangra is associated and originated from farming,khethi, harvest time and jatts celebrating.

It's because of similar put chammar de songs and what have you that there has been a sensible ban put on.

It was never a problem or an issue before because like I say traditional bhangra/ jatts/ drinking n celebrating go hand in hand.

Only since recent times has 'caste' been bought and integrated into bhangra.

Prior to this jatts were and have always been associated with bhangra as explained above.

You can't call music a stench because of some jatt/chamaar/takhaan/ sharaab songs.

I wasn't calling all music a stench. Just the crappy stuff that has dense people drinking stupidly and imagining themselves to be greater than they are. Simple.

To ban songs on cast is knocking bhangra, it's not knocking music,

Bhangra is associated and originated from farming,khethi, harvest time and jatts celebrating.

It's because of similar put chammar de songs and what have you that there has been a sensible ban put on.

It was never a problem or an issue before because like I say traditional bhangra/ jatts/ drinking n celebrating go hand in hand.

Only since recent times has 'caste' been bought and integrated into bhangra.

Prior to this jatts were and have always been associated with bhangra as explained above.

You brought up another great point.

Bhangra is based on the movements of farmers in the field.

Anyone who has been taught traditional Bhangra will be able to tell you that the moves are based on kethi work, such as drawing water from the well.

Without Jatts, there is no Bhangra and there is no Punjabi music industry. It started out innocently enough, but I admit that it has spiraled out of control. No longer are they singing about Jatts going to the mela and having fun. Now the songs are all about sharaab, chasing girls, and bragging about how tough they are.

Then chamaars had to go and make their own songs promoting the same thing. As if repping your own caste and talking down on other castes is supposed to solve the problem. It just makes it worse.

You brought up another great point.

Bhangra is based on the movements of farmers in the field.

Anyone who has been taught traditional Bhangra will be able to tell you that the moves are based on kethi work, such as drawing water from the well.

Without Jatts, there is no Bhangra and there is no Punjabi music industry. It started out innocently enough, but I admit that it has spiraled out of control. No longer are they singing about Jatts going to the mela and having fun. Now the songs are all about sharaab, chasing girls, and bragging about how tough they are.

Then chamaars had to go and make their own songs promoting the same thing. As if repping your own caste and talking down on other castes is supposed to solve the problem. It just makes it worse.

Well done again !!!

You have really impressed me today on two occasions regarding music.I wasn't aware that many of you know this out there.!

What you mention about khethi moves like 'fasaalan,lehrian, japaan, bedi, phull...etc..'' are ALL based on the working life of the jatt farmer.

This is the very reason that no one has ever taken offence to bhangra being associated with jatts, because the roots of it are completely about khethi.

In traditional bhangra music no one has ever taken offence about jatts being promoted or anything. Infact, the majority of the most popular folk singers that sang about the jatts dancing at the mela..etc.. were NOT even jatts themselves !!!

It's the sad lot of today who are taking offence and going out making chamaar songs thinking that they have to match up, when really it's nothing about being better or matching up. -It' about the origins.