Kirtan notes

It would take a bit of time for me to write it all down and so on...but if there is specific scale or 'Sa' that you would like to use...I could write it accordingly! :smile2:

In the meantime, have you listened to Bhai Baljeet Singh's version? :pluggedin:

Please write it down!!

I did hear the bhai baljeet Singh version.I like both!

Bhai Balbir Singh!!! Epic Raagi and he's getting a award too :)

He is!!

Dear Singh1234567 Bhaji, (I sometimes wonder why the numbers stopped at 7...) :p

I've never before written a notation in English. I'm not aware about the standard key map of their transliteration to English...so, I'm gonna make my own to get the point across.

Madh Saptak: sa re ga ma pa dha ni

Taar Saptak: SA RE GA MA PA DHA NI

Komal sur : -re-, -ga-, -dha-, -ni-, -RE-, -GA-, -DHA-, -NI-

1 2 3 4 | 5 6 7 8 | 9 10 11 12 | 13 14 15 16

SA SA SA -dha- ma -ga- -ga- -ga- SA ni SA SA SA SA ni -dha-

Jha garh dang na garh dang ba garh dang ba je

-ga- -ga- ma ma -dha- -dha- ni ni SA SA SA ni SA SA SA SA

gaa garh dang ga ji ma ha ga j ga je

-GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- MA MA -GA- -GA- SA ni SA SA SA SA

The above notation is a only a very basic version of what they've sung throughout the shabad. If you listen carefully, Bhai Saheb have sung many different versions of the chorus! Amazing!!!

Also, Kaagardang Kaati Kataari Karaakang is along the keys of Gaagarhdang gaji mahaa Gaj Gaaje.

I hope the notation helps a bit. But I repeat, this is only a basic and very much simpler version of how it's been sung. It's almost hard to match the way Bhai Saheb have sung.

Dear Singh1234567 Bhaji, (I sometimes wonder why the numbers stopped at 7...) :p

I've never before written a notation in English. I'm not aware about the standard key map of their transliteration to English...so, I'm gonna make my own to get the point across.

SA SA SA -dha- ma -ga- -ga- -ga- SA ni SA SA SA SA ni -dha-

Jha garh dang na garh dang ba garh dang ba je

-ga- -ga- ma ma -dha- -dha- ni ni SA SA SA ni SA SA SA SA

-GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- -GA- MA MA -GA- -GA- SA ni SA SA SA SA

The above notation is a only a very basic version of what they've sung throughout the shabad. If you listen carefully, Bhai Saheb have sung many different versions of the chorus! Amazing!!!

Also, Kaagardang Kaati Kataari Karaakang is along the keys of Gaagarhdang gaji mahaa Gaj Gaaje.

I hope the notation helps a bit. But I repeat, this is only a basic and very much simpler version of how it's been sung. It's almost hard to match the way Bhai Saheb have sung.

I stopped at seven because seven is my lucky number :)

This is a little confusing lol...

I don't understand what

means lol.I never learnt any of this in kirtan class!Is there any videos on YouTube that describes any of this?

I stopped at seven because seven is my lucky number :)

This is a little confusing lol...

I don't understand what

means lol.I never learnt any of this in kirtan class!Is there any videos on YouTube that describes any of this?

Yeah, I thought I should be expanding a bit on this...but then I thought it would be an insult to you in case you already did know! :bl:

Well, I'm assuming that you're aware of the basic sa re ga ma pa dha ni keys on the Harmonium. Those keys on the middle of the Harmonium are Madh Saptak.

Madh : middle

Sapt : 7 (oooh! your lucky number :p)

Saptak: containing 7. It's technically an octave....but in Indian classical music the last Sa belongs to the next saptak. Also, the literal translation of an octave would be 'ashtak'. So, doesn't make much sense there.

An image about saptak on Harmonium.

06_03.jpg

Mandr : lower (dunno if that's the literal meaning)

Taar : higher ( " )

The above picture shows the saptaks very well but a horrible depiction od komal and Ma teevar sur.

Usually the Mandr saptak keys are denoted with a dot beneath them and the Taar saptak keys with the dot above them. But then again, it's in English.

Compare the image below to the one above to see the way octaves can be moved around according to the Sa you choose.

harmonium2aaa.GIF

The followinf images are a Punjabi notation, from the website of Jawaddi Taksaal and shows a bit how keys are normally written.

Raag_Siri.gif

Raag_Siri_S2.gif

Simple explanation for Ma teevar sur: When all the shudh(pure/normal) keys and Komal keys are marked, there is only one left, right next to Shudh Ma. That is a Teevar Ma.

Now, one might ask why this is Teevar and the other Komal.

In this case, Teevar : slightly higher

Komal : slightly lower (komal = soft)

This video explains a bit about the sargam and how Sa can be changed accoording to the scale you want to sing on.

Hope this helps a bit :smile2: