Right Wing Nut bar Asaram says-Girl should've called rapists brother

N30S1NGH

WLS,

You've missed the point, and a seismic point it was indeed.

I remember reading through your posts and replies a few years ago, and I tend to agree with you in the broad thrust of principle on many (not all) topics. However, this rape in India has highlighted malignant flaws in Indian society that can't be corrected with legislation (for those calling for tougher laws) and it can't be assessed through generally accepted "social norms" - because those very "social norms" are flawed.

You claim that she was out at the 'wrong time of day' and those men and women who follow such "social norms" are asking for trouble, as it were. I can see the point that you are trying to make - what I'm saying, is that we shouldnt make that point. That may not make sense. Let me try...

Indian society is very male dominated, as is the middle-east. There are youtube videos posted in the past 2 years of female CNN reporters being sexually abused whilst reporting the Arab Spring from Cairo. Do you know what the response from certain sectors of male muslim society was? She shouldn't have been there! What was she doing presenting amongst men? The attitude was incorrect - certainly from a western perspective, and I would argue from any perspective. But - from Imams quoted to the Daily Mail and other media, "she was basically asking for it". As perverse as it may seem to westerners, Arabs (and in the Delhi rape case, Indian men) have been conditioned to accept that that is simply the 'way it is'.

India has a long history of using rape as a weapon - again, socially accepted in India or Pakistan, but derogatory behaviour from any normal man's perspective. Be it caste politics in the pind, be it "settling old scores between families", "teaching someone a lesson" etc. It stems from a culture which is just plain perverse. But, it's been historically accepted as a social norm, albeit quietly.

Indian society simply doesn't respect a woman for who she is. In the example of this woman Jyoti, had her parents allowed her to go out alone, single, on the streets of Delhi, and she suffered abuse etc then we would all be saying "she shouldn't have travelled alone, should have travelled with friends or family". Here we have a girl who was travelling with her male friend and this still occured! There is something inherently wrong with indian men. Was she scantliy clad? No. Tipsy and therefore disinhibited? No. Gallivanting in a bar/club? No, she watched a film.

You say you "went to bed early to rise early" and to those who don't, well, they shouldn't be surprised if they were to fall victim as it were. In London and many British cities, tipsy, scanitly clad women roll out of clubs and bars and walk home - not even with a male companion! Guess what - they don't get raped. My point is, is that social norms are different.

Today, in India, a dynamic debate is taking place. Difficult questions are being asked. Indians are asking themselves - how, why, what for?

I think you've got psychiatric issues Daily Mail. Why the hell are you writing all that stuff about India on my behalf ? You might as well write about Cambodia or the Congo. They're all foreign nations to me. I'm a Sikh. My family have never been Indian and never will. I really couldn't give a monkeys about its culture etc. I am a Sikh. My culture is complete and utter 100% gender equality. You can stick your Indian culture and any lectures about it where the sun don't shine fella.

You claim that she was out at the 'wrong time of day' and those men and women who follow such "social norms" are asking for trouble, as it were. I can see the point that you are trying to make

You most clearly cannot see the point I was trying to make if that is what you think I said.

My points were entirely to do with questioning fate.......Whether or not our actions determine what happens to us.

My point was entirely a philosophical one about deeds and non-deeds.

My question was entirely a spiritual one asking whether or not the Sikh value of going to bed early and raising early has any merit in it. Sikhi says there is but you all seem to be implying that there is no de-merit in doing the complete opposite. My question.......My point then, was obviously way beyond your level of understanding. Given the totally irrelevent lecture you've just given me about some foreign country that means nothing to me it is clear you were not even close to understanding what I said and didn't say. This whole thing is getting silly now. I'm quite clearly trying to have a conversation here with a group of nitwits.