In depth discussion on underlining issues of rape

N30S1NGH

I think that especially in India rape is such a big issue because there is mindset conflict. A lot of Indians want to become westernized and they want to have the "right" to wear whatever they want and do whatever they want. But the problem with this is, India is a cultural nation. Even though many youngsters want to adopt western culture, they haven't been able to change the mindset of others in the same nation.

For example, if a woman is out late at night, people think she is a bad woman and characterless, morally loose etc. However, she might be a simple lady walking home from work wearing a skirt as an imposed dress code. Now there are a few problems in this situation. The woman's employers have imposed a dress code to match western mentality. However, the rest of the people don't understand the western mentality and see her as a woman wearing revealing clothes.

In many western countries, American/British girls (not from Indian descent) wear revealing clothes, shorts skirts etc. I am not saying it is ok to do so, I am just giving an example. Yet we walk by them and don't think much of it. Why? Because we have realized that this is their culture they haven't been raised to wear modest clothes and their definition of modesty is far different than ours.

But Indian youngsters want to be just like them. They want to wear skirts and shorts and revealing clothes. But Indian culture doesn't allow that which attracts eve teasers and perverted men.

I think Indian youngsters want to adopt western culture too quickly but they aren't able to change the mindset of the whole nation itself.

This is just one aspect of the under lining issues of rape. There are many more.

This is more generalized view looking at the bigger picture. So what is the solution to all problems India faces as I type? How do we change the mentality of people, the attitude of police, the functioning of the law enforcement entities (i.e. courts, judiciaries, etc.). I think India needs to prioritize education as its topmost priority right now, even higher than economic growth. All funds should be opened in the path of extensive educational programs. All the national wealth that is rotting in the Swiss bank accounts of all those corrupt politicians will have to be taken out and used to finance all such extensive educational programs. All those countries who aid India in the various defense and weapons deals, they should rather send their leading professors to India in order to impart and administer high level state-of-the-art education/expertise to the youth.

When people are educated, their brains develop, when the brain develops, they come up with new ideas, when new ideas spring forth, one then has the ability to offer the world new discoveries, new inventions and innovations, thereby new industries. These new industries ensure widespread job openings and employment opportunities. Therefore education will simultaneously solve the problem of unemployment as well. When people are employed, they refrain from going towards criminal activities as they have a lot to lose by indulging in those acts. Economic loss and deprivation is a huge deterrent. Education can also instill values in a person that may make him/her respect the law. By education, we can improve technology to the point that we do not need to deal with real people, rather deal with technology. Dealing with real people opens ways for corruption. When you can book and pay for your tickets online, book and pay for your hotel rooms online, you don't need to bribe any real person. Now see how many birds can be shot with just one arrow! Education can remove illiteracy, can reduce unemployment, can decrease lawlessness and crimes, can improve technology and therefore can bring down corruption!

Once Indians have developed this level of mindset, then they can grow an unbiased mentality and feel the need to choose justice over aggression and respect human rights more than the present fake face of democracy. Then maybe the cancerous cells of corruption can exit their bloodstream and some real laws can be enforced and implemented for once without becoming games in the hands of a powerful few.

These are just my thoughts. Anyone and everyone is welcome to point out mistakes and also please correct them.

Thanks

- Mehtab Singh

I completely agree with you. The thing is the idea of all Indians being educated is a rather ambitious idea. It is such a large country, with a government and rich people who don't want the poor to be educated. All over India schools are falling apart. Take a look at Punjab, teachers striking, schools closed, and students skiving. Education however is key to everything. As you've said with education people’s minds grow. They are less likely to have a blinkered view on life. They are more likely to be open minded, hard working.

However the thing is, lots of the harassment and name calling takes place in colleges and universities. Places of education and learning. But the men here still treat the women as objects. So I think that this culture of men being higher than women has to change. Our music industry has to change to. Both Punjabi and Bollywood often show semi-naked women dancing in a crowd of men doing sexual moves. This image is being broadcasted all over India, giving men a view that women are merely sexual objects. Also there needs to be a return to religion. In the Punjab parchar needs to start. Boys and girls need to be taught from a young age. Every pind has at least one gurdwara, the duty of the granthi needs to be that of educating the children, holding sports tournaments and drawing the youth in maybe with games consoles. One just has to look at the time of Sant Jarnail Singh and how the Punjab changed, another person like him really is needed. But what do we have, fat cats sitting around controlling out gurdware.

Perhaps it is up to the women themselves. Just like Britain had the feminist movement, maybe educated Indian women could rise up and challenge people, demand stuff off men. But most women in India live in traditional rural areas. This old tradition will be very hard to shake off.

Sikh fathers need to raise their sons to not tolerate this stuff. Sikh mothers also have a role to play in not spoiling their kids. Any society that makes certain subsections feel special just encourages them to think they can get away with anything.

India/South Asia will take too long to change. We should focus on the main Sikh centres and spread out from there.

Some more thoughts pertaining to this thread...

Without sounding like a fanatic, I firmly believe that Hindustan is doomed till it submits to the updesh of Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Patshah Jee Maharaj, the ideals of Gurmat and the rehni-behni of the Khalsa lifestyle.

1. Sexist bigoted masochism sadism culture/right wing sexist dominated men culture- Just look around, women in India are considered an mere food items for horny mens thrist/hunger..they are mere seen as toy peace to entertain. The whole man mindset has to be changed.
I guess blanket ban on all movies, soaps, commercials which objectify women?
2. Corruption, extortion, money, politics
Stricter implementation of laws, I am even ready to go as far as suggesting a limited army interference in Indian politics, i.e. retired army officers become part of Indian politics, and these should be retired officers like General Gupta who are of impeccable track record.
3. Castism culture- It's no secret, so called men higher caste man, rape women of lower caste in India. These poor low caste women are seen as trophy awards in these bigoted so called high caste men sub culture.
Severest punishments that too in public.
4. Male-female ratio imbalance.
Candid camera exposing all doctors who are paid to carry out female infanticide. It has worked in a number of cases in different parts of India in the recent past.
5. Sex topic itself is considered taboo, its not talked about in india to kids just like we do in west. So taboo = repression/supression, therefore any kind of repression sooner or later will revolt back ugly sometimes to extreme length as rape.

Solution – gender sensitivity (note I didn’t say sex education) taught in schools with emphasis on (a.) gender equality, (b.) respect for women

6. Systematic Sexualization of women in today era also pay indirect role. The study has been done on sexualization of woman in media potryal/soceity. In this era of sexualization of woman by media or society, revealing clothing/skimpy clothing are designed to invoke a reaction from opposites, demean women to be presented as toys.
Same as 1, i.e. blanket ban on all movies, soaps, commercials which objectify women.
The whole mindset has to be changed of bigoted sexist men that women is not there to fullfill your needs.
This can be done though education and awareness campaigns.
Castism in India should be rooted out all together.
I guess all NGOs need to combine their funds and construct an extensive and strong program structure which supports and encourages all projects that uproot this cancer. I am all for inter-caste marriages where the boy, girl, and their respective families agree to do so. No one should be forced, rather this should be encouraged if we are really serious about getting rid of this evil.
Everything has chain reaction- male and female ratio imblances should be addressed.
Again, strict penalties for anyone indulging in female infanticide.
It's about TIME Indian soceity becomes more candid about talking about sex to their kids as early sex education, as medical science topic rather than perceiving it as perverted and shove the topic under the carpet
Gender sensitization taught in school and also all public service levels, starting with police.
Promote modest clothing
Some firms do have uniforms like you do in schools in India. Maybe this can be made mandatory?

I firmly believe that Hindustan is doomed till it submits to the updesh of Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Patshah Jee Maharaj, the ideals of Gurmat and the rehni-behni of the Khalsa lifestyle.

I think we are talking about two different things, ideals of gurmat/rehni -behni of khalsa life style has nothing to do wide spread problem of rape..in fact its at the border line and same justification mullah would use for their sharia law across the world. I think its better to see something as it is, It's human animal instinct -effected all communities including sikhs. The problem is at the human level, problem is not at the theological/socio-religious level.

Yes khalsa life style given in its puratan form* gives -woman full reverence but with that being said, that does not mean other traditions don't give full reverence to woman, lets not inadvertently ignore other indic traditions reverence to female as "devi", many ancient indic traditions consider women as devi and are reverred as devi figure..!!

*In Sri Dasam Granth/Sri Sarbloh Granth- there are many feminine names of Vahiguroo ji immanent in sargun form (daiv shakti, lakhsmi-maya embodiment etc) as compare to only masculine names of Vahiguroo ji, but because of punjabi tribalism influenced by " sexist bigoted masochism sadism culture" these were shoved under the carpret in insecurity/hyper paranoia..!!

Outright banning something be it media/clothing, has its major internal deep ramifications (beside leaving imprints of oppression)- ask many muslims womens who were repressed and how they revolted back. You cannot repress/supress human curiousity, human nature of exploration (be it man or woman) it back fires miserably, sooner or later they revolt and they revolt back ugly.!!

I don't want to open up can of worms but i would hint towards look at lives of many muslim womens and men who are inadvertently repressed by sharia, they all revolt back ugly behind the scenes..!!