The role of women in Sikhism

Guest Kookar

The Role Of Women In Sikhism

The role of man and woman is an essential part in marital relationship and these are essential for a happy married life. I f either is at fault the life becomes very difficult and unbearable. It believed and realised through experience that womanhood is such a beautiful, loving and unique creation of God. That one comes to the conclusion that God has bestowed upon women all the responsibilities of this world. Women give birth, care for and educate their children. It is women who bestow qualities upon society, not only in our country but all over the world. The thinking and attitude of men towards women has been changing all the time. The birth given to men, the idol of love and motherhood, the model of sacrifice has always been insulted, pack of lies, root cause of sin. Scholars are of the opinion that the country or society that sees religion as essential to salvation must exclude women. They see celibacy as essential for salvation.

In all Indian history, women have been seen as obstacles in the path of God by Saints and Sages. In the Vedic women became to be revered and respected as without them no religious sacrifice could be completed without them but this did not last for long. Male dominated society saw women as low, characterless and weak Man also suggested that women were dependant on men for their protection. Recluses, hermits, Sages and Saints and the Siddhas all belittled women. This continued until the Middle Ages. No one realised her protective and nurturing role but instead found her as an obstacle. The preachers of Jainnism saw women as a lamp of darkness, a root of unhappiness, a cause of dark age and a bottle of suffering. The well famous writer Tulsi Ram, compares women to cattle. Islam does consider as a part of recreation and sees her as a toy. In the east and west a negative attitude has been displayed towards women. The Indian society was very hesitant to give independence to women. The loss of Draupadi in a game of dice exemplified that women were then property of men. Foreign invaders robbed our women and sold them like cattle in markets. This shows that women were seen as less than human. Women married when small to aged men, women performing Sati, women refused entrance to temples and Mosques all were examples of the injustices women suffered at the hands of men.

The founder of the Sikh religion Guru Nanak Dev Ji was the first in the annals of world history to fight for the rights of women. He was against injustice to women and made people realise that women gave birth and cared for their young as well as being an essential companion in married life. He added that the whole world was born to her womb. Women is the birth giver to all as a wife, daughter, sister mother, she supports man in his every step. Guru Nanak DevJi in Asaa Devar raises the voice for women, he says in Gurbani that both men and women have essential roles in this world, without either it is impossible to live a balanced life. Gurbani states that each man has inside him a woman and each woman has inside her a man. Guru Nanak Dev Ji removed all doubts regarding females and brought a new concept to this world. He encouraged both men and women to sit in the congregation of God, he encouraged the idea of marriage as essential to spiritual progress. This is why marriage is very central to Sikhism. Recluses, hermits, celibates are discouraged in Sikhism. When Guru Nanak Dev Ji returned to Kartar Pur after his world travels he went to Achalbatale and told the Siddhas that those who run away from house hold duties why do they beg at their doors again. The householders become your protectors. Bhai Gurdas Ji reinforces this idea. The Gurus emphasise that males and females are both equal. Gurus preached those who walk in the path of God are Gursikhs but those who follow their minds and turn their backs on the Guru are self- centred people. Both women and men can listen to Gurbani and both can receive salvation. In Gurbani a Sikh is referred to as feminine whilst the only male is God. In Sikhism both male and females have equal role. Women played an important part in sacrifices courage and example led lives. The wife of Guru Nanak Dev Ji Mata Sulakhni Ji served the congregation with utmost devotion. Guru Angad Dev’s wife Mata Khivi made tasty pure food for the holy congregation. When Guru Amar Das Ji was installed as the third Guru Mata Khivi Ji reprimanded her rebellious sons. This shows exemplary motherhood. In the times of Gurur Amar Das Ji women were appointed as Sikh preachers. Guru Amar Das Ji encouraged women to come to the holy congregation with uncovered faces. The third Guru Nanak disapproves the burning of women along side her husband’s funeral pyre. Guru Harogobind Sahib Ji led a householders life he proved that a woman was a man’s honour, a son his memory and wealth as being essential to lead a happy life.

In 1699 Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave birth to Khalsa Panth by administering Amrit of Khanda. Mata Jito Ji placed sugar candy in nectar and thus made the baptism complete. Guru Gobind Singh Ji made the baptism open to men and women alike. Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s elder sister Babi Nanaki was the first to realise that her brother Guru Nanak was no ordinary person. Guru Angad Dev Ji’s daughter Bibi Amro was naam intoxicated and she was spiritually very strong. It was she who led Baba Amar Das Ji to the feet of Guru Angad Dev Ji. Bibi Bhani Ji is the great woman who gave birth to seven Sikh Gurus. Mata Ganga was an exemplary Sikh who lived her life according to the ways of Gurmat. She accepted the martyrdom of her husband Guru Arjan Defv Ji as the will of God. This gave rise to the concept of the Saint-Soldier aspect of Sikhism. Mata Gujri Ji received the news of the execution of her husband Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji with such patience and put in her lap his martyred head in Anandpur Sahib Ji. She also encouraged her younger grandchildren to give supreme sacrifices to uphold righteousness.

Mai Bhago showed unparalleled bravery in the Battle of Mukatsar. In the 18th century Sikh women went through extraordinary tortures in prisons. Their sons were butchered into pieces, sown into garlands and hung in their necks. They bore all this without shedding a tear but instead thanked the God Almighty who stood by them in this test.They saw their sons being pierced by spears but still they prayed that their Faith in the Sikh Gurus be unshaken.

I am really lucky to be born as Sikh....!!

Religion plays a vital role in building human mentality...

I consider myself to be strong.. very strong just because of my religion.....!!

In my life till now i have never suffered with any discrimination... being a girl..... :)

I pray if i take birth again in this world.. want to get born as SIKH :)

NO OFFENCES... Just want to give example... Hindu has female god still there is difference b/w male n female...

Sikhism is dominated by Males.. Our Gurus.. still We are given equal rights... :) Appreciate my Gurus ... :)