How to balance studies/Gursikhi jeevan?

MKaur89

Sadh Sangat ji,

I have been reading this forum for many years, but this is the first time I felt the need to post.

I am at university studying for a Master’s degree and I am struggling to put maximum effort into my studies and exam preparation. I started this course in September after finishing my BSc in June. Some days I am productive, some days I am not, and lately the latter seems to be the case. Most of the time I feel I would rather spend 3 hours at Gurdwara listening to path/kirtan/katha than 3 hours at home studying, but then if I do this I feel guilty for neglecting my studies.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday and do benti to Maharaj to bless me with a Gursikhi jeevan, Amritvela, Nitnem and success in my studies. Yet time and time again, I sit at my desk and half-heartedly try to revise for my exams. Also this is my 5th year living alone away from home and it is very easy to become lazy and fall into bad habits such as eating late, sleeping and waking up late.

I really do want to complete this course, and soon the research project will start which is a major component of the MSc, and I know I will enjoy this more. But I struggle the most with exams, and I have two this month, and am not feeling too confident. I don't really get distracted by the Internet, and I have no TV, I just struggle to concentrate fully and put 100% effort in.

The number one thing going through my mind is that once I leave this world, all my wordly education will not come with me- only naam simran and Gurbani abhyaas will. So I think why do I devote so much time and money to my education when in the end it will serve no purpose?

This MSc will hopefully enhance my career prospects, but I am not after a six-figure salary, I would just like a job that utilises my degree knowledge and provides me with a modest, comfortable living. I guess I am asking the sangat to help me strike the right balance between Gursikhi jeevan and worldly education.

I think I need to develop a consistent Amritvela routine and sit down to study after completing Nitnem, and listen to kirtan or Sukhmani Sahib whilst studying. I just wondered if the sangat had any more ideas to help me practically achieve this goal.

Thanks for reading.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

hmm doubt situation again,

Sadh Sangat ji,

I have been reading this forum for many years, but this is the first time I felt the need to post.

I am at university studying for a Master’s degree and I am struggling to put maximum effort into my studies and exam preparation. I started this course in September after finishing my BSc in June. Some days I am productive, some days I am not, and lately the latter seems to be the case. Most of the time I feel I would rather spend 3 hours at Gurdwara listening to path/kirtan/katha than 3 hours at home studying, but then if I do this I feel guilty for neglecting my studies.

I go to the Gurdwara everyday and do benti to Maharaj to bless me with a Gursikhi jeevan, Amritvela, Nitnem and success in my studies. Yet time and time again, I sit at my desk and half-heartedly try to revise for my exams. Also this is my 5th year living alone away from home and it is very easy to become lazy and fall into bad habits such as eating late, sleeping and waking up late.

I really do want to complete this course, and soon the research project will start which is a major component of the MSc, and I know I will enjoy this more. But I struggle the most with exams, and I have two this month, and am not feeling too confident. I don't really get distracted by the Internet, and I have no TV, I just struggle to concentrate fully and put 100% effort in.

The number one thing going through my mind is that once I leave this world, all my wordly education will not come with me- only naam simran and Gurbani abhyaas will. So I think why do I devote so much time and money to my education when in the end it will serve no purpose?

This MSc will hopefully enhance my career prospects, but I am not after a six-figure salary, I would just like a job that utilises my degree knowledge and provides me with a modest, comfortable living. I guess I am asking the sangat to help me strike the right balance between Gursikhi jeevan and worldly education.

I think I need to develop a consistent Amritvela routine and sit down to study after completing Nitnem, and listen to kirtan or Sukhmani Sahib whilst studying. I just wondered if the sangat had any more ideas to help me practically achieve this goal.

Thanks for reading.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

hmm doubt situation again, its good ur mind thinks towards guru, but again nothing is going to happen when u think too much, u already knew this may be, so i was never a planner, or a time table make that sleep or get up and go to studies, during college days i used work on weekends as waiter, and on weekdays i used to work in college kitchen, while I was doing m.s, Its important to learn bani and memorize as you can do it while u at work or at school, so just do whatever thing you work on with concentration, i know its hard, just do it don't think, alll u got to do is try to sleep early , if thats not possible thats cool too, just try to get up early and study or do nitnem, i used to study at the last moment before exams, as long as you pass nobody cares, job situation, you will get whatever is in written in ur fate, try to get focussed on one thing, finish ur studies first, simran, path it can go along with it, its like food for your soul, if you dont eat it then ur mind will become weak, u dont have to worry if i dont do it for several hours guru will get angry or unhappy, infact do it 24 hours in ur heart while u are studying working or anything.