Pizza in Gurdwara Langar : Acceptable ?

I think it's fine given the Gurdwara is run in a proper manner. It attracts sangat and if the overall structure of the Gurdwara is good, it will be a good way to involve the youth.

Here in Fresno we have Gurdwara GurNanak Parkash and have pizza Wednesdays. A lot of youth and sangat get involved in doing sewa which I think is a good thing. Pizza is actually quite a simple dish and (in my opinion) isn't as bad as some of the mitaiyaa and other punjabi food that we serve at Gurdwaras. The flavor and contents on the pizza seem to digest quite well for me compared to some of the sabjian.

Instead of focusing on stuff like whether pizza should be served, focus on healthy langar. Various daalan, chollay, roti, clean water, fruits and vegetables. Gurdwaras should be centers that promote healthy diets and thus healthy lifestyles. If we start focusing on this you can even start making healthy pizza, it's not hard to make a little change to make it healthy.

Since Sikhs are vegetarians we should have talks in Gurdwaras about how to maintain a healthy diet and make sure you get all your essential vitamins and minerals or stuff that vegetarians tend to have deficiencies in.

We really need that because our community is starting to get fat from unhealthy diets. You don't get fat from eating too much, you get fat from eating too much of the wrong thing.

Instead of focusing on stuff like whether pizza should be served,

....and who exactly has ever done that ? That's certainly not what this thread is about. No offence Singh but you, like many others on this thread have read the first sentence of the thread and thought "ummmmm pizza", and then started dreaming about it without reading what we're talking about.

Let me try and sum up the issue into one or two simple sentences.

Sentence Number 1 : You don't approve of meat or dead animal organs being served in Gurdwara langars do you ?

Sentence Number 2 : To make most pizzas (assuming the cheese has the traditional mozzarella topping) an animal has to be killed, ripped open and the stomach lining of that animal used to make the rennet that makes the mozzarella. (unless we can be abolsutely positively sure that it is one of the very few occasions that a non-animal rennet is used).

So you see we're back to sentence number 1 again , i.e. 'you don't approve of meat or dead animal organs being served in Gurdwara langars do you' ?

Unfortunately you (and most others here) have looked at the thread and invented a sentence number 3 , i.e 'Pizza is lovely isn't it' ?

What about the poor animal tha died so ur tabla n waja can b on kirtan? Or the little animals in water tha die wen u wash down yor spicy turka vegi peeja? Spare a thort 4them tru

Is yeast an animal?

.......says the man from the community that serves bacon, sausages and egg in their Gurdwara langars. Didn't realise they also ate their tablas and bajas though....so you learn something new everyday.

mozzarella? we only get mild white cheddar at our gurdwaras.

not that much a fan of pizza but i got to say its all about the PASTA! especially when made desi sabji style by the auntya.....

. Didn't realise they also ate their tablas and bajas though....so you learn something new everyday.

LOL.

A little off topic but what about bacteria in general?

Well bacteria isn't an animal. Yes its a living organism but it doesn't feel pain. Well it doesn't feel anything, it lacks a nervous system and brain. There are 5 types of living organism in this world: plant, animals, prokaryots (which includes bacteria), fungi and protostista. Bacteria belong to a different type of life form to animals, they're no more an animal than a fungus or a plant is. Besides you can't avoid them. They're everywhere.