amritdhari and removing his gathra/kirpan are we allowed ?

Guest TrueSikh

Guest TrueSikh

I came across a video on youtube while i was searching Baba thakur singh bhindranwale.

A amritdhari sikh takes off his kirpan half way through the video. I was suprised this singh had did this. I support him with what he is doing and i think everybody should but it was a real big suprise What are your thoughts on this ??? And are we allowed to remove our kirpans??

This is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9qf3e4TSU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Guest singh12345

This is really great to see. If he did a jap ji sahib paath then its okay otherwise im not sure either. I watched more of his videos and read the comments, this is the guy to beat he is champion of this club. Hes fighting guys twice his weight. Thanks for sharing

I think this topic is debatable..here is my take (take whatever you will)-

It's ok as its circumstantial. I am sure he did his silent ardas before (Guru Maharaj listen to intent and genuine ardas) and besides i think he is wearing neck wali kirpan again no harm...don't we (even ultra orthodox ones) take off our sri sahib while we have to fly in airplane? all for what?..its rule but its not a rule one must fly- one could simply refuse to fly.. again we bend the rules based on circumstances (which is understandable)- be it family, business, social....fighting with sri sahib on open over the shirt in boxing match specially in gatra is not practical..yes he could have put the gatra under neath his shirt again may not be that practical as sri sahib would hit him constantly- take his eyes off in a match- you need 110% concentration in a boxing match...i think he made a good decision switching to neck wali kirpan in boxing match where full concentration is needed.

Sometimes people wear more than one kirpan, a smaller one underneath clothing and a larger size over the top. However, referring to the video and as far as I can tell, I don't believe the singh is wearing one underneath his vest, he is wearing a symbol of a kirpan around his neck and so he may have regarded that as acceptable. Amritdhari's have differing views on this. I do not think wearing a symbol of a kirpan is acceptable. I would not have removed the gatra and kirpan, I would have made it more secure. Panj pyare tell us that we are permitted to remove the kirpa when travelling by aircraft, in order to comply with the law of the land. It is not necessary for us to remove our kirpans whilst taking part in sport, instead we should ensure that all kakkars are secure.

Guest kirpan1

Some Amritdhari Sikhs may wish to do chaupai sahib before taking off the kirpan and do the moolmantar or chaupai sahib again when they put it on after games/PE. Reciting this prayer is seen as a way of asking permission to take it off

Guest rugbysingh

What about when we play contsct sports such as rugby one definilty has to remove it im from Uk and i take my kirpan off before i play is that okay ??? Just wondering