Sikhism and Forgiveness

Guest SikhStudent

Guest SikhStudent

I have some questions about forgiveness and Sikhism.

What does it say in the Guru Granth Sahib about it? I have made mistakes in my life and have broken promises before. However, I am determined to improve my life and I will do everything in my power to fulfill the promises. I have come close to falling to the urges, but I stopped myself before I could break the promise again. I am hoping God sees that I stopped myself in time and hope he will forgive me for what I have done/almost did, as I will change myself. I am more motivated than ever to fulfill my promises and make sure to never break it again.

I'm not sure if I should be posting on this site about this, but wanted to seek advice from other Sikhs.

On the side note, what does listening to kirtan do to a person and what effect can it have on you?

eikanaa hukamee bakhasees eik hukamee sadhaa bhavaaeeahi |

Some, by His Command, are blessed and forgiven; others, by His Command, wander aimlessly forever.

I think what stands out for me is that you have recognised what may have been a mistake and more importantly become more vigilant and determinded not to falter and so I would take that as being a blessing.

NB: I have no gyan so please forgive any mistakes with my interpretation of gurbani.

What does it say in the Guru Granth Sahib about it? I have made mistakes in my life and have broken promises before. However, I am determined to improve my life and I will do everything in my power to fulfill the promises. I have come close to falling to the urges, but I stopped myself before I could break the promise again. I am hoping God sees that I stopped myself in time and hope he will forgive me for what I have done/almost did, as I will change myself. I am more motivated than ever to fulfill my promises and make sure to never break it again.

I'm not sure if I should be posting on this site about this, but wanted to seek advice from other Sikhs.

On the side note, what does listening to kirtan do to a person and what effect can it have on you?

I always wonder why we don't ourselves do sahaj paath and try to understan gurbani. Start a SAHAJ PAATH and if you don't understand anything people on this forum are very learned they will help u. DOWNLOAD PDF FORMAT OF GURU GRANTH SAHIB AND SEE GURBANI GRAMMAR BY GIANI AMRITPAL SINGH LUDHIANA ON YOUTUBE IT WILL HELP U LOT.

I sincerely believe in forgiveness.

To be forgiving and not be judging; is the most gurmat thing to do.

Even Guru Gobind SIngh ji was forgiving about the loss of his family.  What was more bothering was the kasam on koran made by Aurungzeb, that they wouldn't pounce on them in surprise at the time they were to leave the fort.

It was the fake oath on God's name that was more disturbing to the Guru ji.

We make mistakes all the while, without even realising. We are ony aware of the mistakes we ackowledge, but the others go missed and slip through the net.

Therefore, to be ask Guru ji for Bhull chuk marf is a MUST. Especially for the one's we don't realise.

Infact, this is all I ever ask for when doing ardaas. I never do ardaas with a list of worldly needs or wants, but I just ask for strength to get closer and forgiveness for all my mistakes.

Somtimes, I even feel that I have been let off too easily without punishment.

I know that Guruji has been very forgiving towards me for many of my lowly deeds.

• 4 months later...
Guest #super chick

What does sikhism say about forgiveness?

well basically i have a school project to do and i have to answer the question why does sikhism say about forgiveness :giggle: :blink2:

Guest scali

Who forgives Who. One GOD manifest as many including us. There is no one else in the room. As we go up in our spiritual understanding we forgive easily.

• 5 years later...
On 1/16/2013 at 11:51 PM, Guest SikhStudent said:

Q1)What does it say in the Guru Granth Sahib about it? 

Q2)On the side note, what does listening to kirtan do to a person and what effect can it have on you?

A1) Brother, Wahiguru is all forgiveness and prem, these are main expressions or qualities of His nature.

It all depends, how much we learn from our mistakes. 

What is all this about "chaurase ka chakar"? The endless cycle of births and deaths.

This is nothing, but His grace, for giving us birth after birth, as chance after chance to improve as human beings, and be pure enough, to attach ourselves to His Lotus Feet, through His bhakti, and then finally merge in Him.

He does not ever condemn anyone, it is we, who by our own karam that get nearer or farther away from Him; but, from His side, it is always forgiveness.

A2) Once again, the effect of listening kirtan, depends on us, as per if we listen and go through it as parrots, or pay attention to each sat bachan and then act accordingly.

All of Gurbani, is just an exercising, for instilling true love and faith within us, to do His bhakti alone, which will take us out from this Mahabhavsagar of Maya, not otherwise.

Stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.