Can You Wear A Full Wedding Outfit If You've Taken Amrit?

brunette

You state in true gurmat.....................which makes it that Bhai Daya Singh ji is not expressing true Gurmat with the rehat.

I have no opinion on this issue, but you do when you stated true gurmat...........................Opinions would only hold value if they made sense with Gurmat and we did not have an authority, like the Punj Pyare clearing this question the OP has asked. However we do have an authority clearing the issue, which means there is only three things left to do for a Sikh as Gurbani states. Accept it as the truth (the rehat is coming from Bhai Daya Singh ji) be content with it, that it is the truth, and then contemplate in the mind that i am low and rehat is high, one day by contemplating on Gurbani I hope Satguru blesses me with how and why this rehat is the truth.

Good Point !!

You are correct, it can be misleading!

The true gurmat was reference to colours in my opinion. There is nothing sikh or gurmat that says you must wear red or not.-This is a pure hindu influenced cultural issue tha has been continued by some of us!

lol @ Raaj.Karega.Khalsa. sorry threw away somethin else not them, they stuffed in a cupboard somewhere in th techhiecase along with th purane shawls n jerii wale suit that never gona wear again. are u not suppose to throw them away, i dont even know.

Aww, Bhenji...it was merely a joke! I was just trying to be melodramatic :p hahha

Good Point !!

You are correct, it can be misleading!

The true gurmat was reference to colours in my opinion. There is nothing sikh or gurmat that says you must wear red or not.-This is a pure hindu influenced cultural issue tha has been continued by some of us!

But then you also state the following:

In terms of outfit or what you wear, I completely agree with Raj Karega khalsa ji above that there is no hard fast rule, and you can wear whatever you feel appropriate as long as it is not extra loud.

Bhai Daya Singh ji rehat said not to wear make up and jewellery. Just wanted to point this out.

Also about the colors not to insult someones intelligence, but even the western world knows that certain colors entice the mind and the females wear bright colours to attract the opposite gender. Males do this as well. Also females wear bright colors because it helps them feel attractive and good about themselves. I hope i don't have to present research on this general knowledge that pretty much every mind in this universe blindly follows. What colours a Sikh wears does matter and it does alter a person's mind and as a result their behaviour.

ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਣ ਲਏੇ ਨਸਵਾਰ

One who wears red and uses tobacco,
ਕਹੇ ਗੋਬਦਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੇ ਖਵਾਰ ॥ (੧੭)

Gobind Singh says, he will be punished by the messanger of death.

Tankahnama bhai nand Lal Singh

ਸੂਹੇ ਅੰਬਰ ਪਹਿਨ ਕਰ, ਜੋ ਨਾਸੇ ਨਸਵਾਰ The Sikh who wears red, or uses tobacco

ਲਗੇ ਤਾੜਨਾ ਸੀਸ ਪਰ, ਸੁਨੀਏ ਨਰਕ ਮੰਝਾਰ । ੧੨ । They will be beaten on their head and are headed towards hell.

Rehitnama bhai prehlad singh

ਸੂਹਾ ਪਹਿਣ ਲਏੇ ਨਸਵਾਰ

One who wears red and uses tobacco,

ਕਹੇ ਗੋਬਦਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੇ ਖਵਾਰ ॥ (੧੭)

Gobind Singh says, he will be punished by the messanger of death.

Tankahnama bhai nand Lal Singh

ਸੂਹੇ ਅੰਬਰ ਪਹਿਨ ਕਰ, ਜੋ ਨਾਸੇ ਨਸਵਾਰ The Sikh who wears red, or uses tobacco

ਲਗੇ ਤਾੜਨਾ ਸੀਸ ਪਰ, ਸੁਨੀਏ ਨਰਕ ਮੰਝਾਰ । ੧੨ । They will be beaten on their head and are headed towards hell.

Rehitnama bhai prehlad singh

it certainlly doesn't refer to wedding outfit and insteat of "OR" it should be "AND". I hope this is out of context in this debate.

Gurfateh penji

I would like to ask you a question (to Brunette OP)... why do you want to take amrit?

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but here it seems that you are trying to decide between amrit and a wedding outfit? It could be that depending on opinions from various people, you wear the outfit/ accessories/ do things slightly differently to follow tradition etc and you choose to take amrit later... now that is assuming that you will have an opportunity later. It could be that you take amrit and change the colour of your outfit.

Either way > Think carefully about what you truely want and once you know, your question will be answered.

A humble request to all posters, to allow penji time for self reflection. There are posts that have been made previously if penji whats to search on what is suitable entire for an amritdahri wedding (and penji above has made some suggestions) or better still search deep within, for her answer.

Gur Fateh,

It seems the way I wrote this sounded odd. I am 100% going to take Amrit as I see it as a very important part in a Sikh's life. I was wondering whether it was against the rehat to wear such clothes in these circumstances. Thank you for your post, it has made me reflect on what I was trying to say.

The red lehnga- red is considered an auspicious colour in hinduism. The chura is another hingu ritual...the bride wears it for 40days and only then can she remove it... Its just pointless shingaar like the necklace and makeup.

Yes, this is true... when I think of things like this, as a Sikh, I wouldn't wear chura or kaleerai for the reason Hindus did. If you wanted to do it for your own khushi without any superstitions, just for yourself, I don't see it as bad.

It's like if you go out with flashy clothes just so you can attract boys etc is wrong, but if you were to go out wearing the same clothes just for yourself without trying to impress people, I wouldn't see it as bad (obviously depending on what the clothes were)

http://sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=53

surmwidk iSMgwr nihN nihN pr qrunI sMig

suramaadhik shi(n)gaar nehi(n) nehi(n) par tharunee sa(n)gi

Do not wear make-up or jewellery. Do not commit adultery.

Rehatnama Bhai Daya Singh Jee

The above is Rehat given by the first Punj Pyare, whose head was cut off and was brought back to life with Khanda Bhatta da Amrit.

Knowing that a Punj Pyare has given this rehat, would Guru Sahib accept your outfit? This rehat is given to not be a giddar in lions clothing, but to root bhagati in your life and then watch it grow into something Guru Sahib loves.................Rehat is more dear to Guru Sahib than the Sikh

Thank you very much for this...

Guru Gobind Singh Ji used to dress like a King. He used to wear jewellery and lovely lovely clothes. Perhaps it is the way in which we wear these clothes and the thoughts and the reasons behind why we wear them which should be altered? What I mean by this, is have pride in how you look, present yourself like a King, but not for the wrong reasons. What do you think?

Here is the picture of shaheed bhai sahib bhai amrik singh daughter getting married with red lengha, chora and some jewellery. Please notice all mahapursh and senior gurmukhs saw more than "red lengha, chora/jewelery' in her than just judging by her outer kriya. I just got this picture on facebook.

Mahapursh and senior gurmukhs see gunas of people and don't look at small stuff, in this case her being daughter of shaheed bhai sahib bhai amrik singh ji and her gunas are more than enough merit to trump all or even think about small stuff as rehitnamas classified sikhs as- gristhi, behingum and akaali/nihang soorma so in this case her gunas and her being daughter for shahed bhai sahib bhai amrik singh ji is more than enough to trump all -outer garb of an individual in this case- her wedding dress.

post-24251-0-34158700-1359039012_thumb.j

Point of this post- never judge a book by its cover

But with that being said, generally speaking- there is no question anand karaj ceremony in west has become an somewhat an blind ritual (ie- people are more concerned about bride and groom than guru maharaj, bride/groom are more concerned about their dress than focusing on anand karaj lavan sidhant, and our parcharikhs failure to do parchar and failure to grow a pair being firm/assertive while maintaing compsure/sehaj/piolitness- setting the record straight of giving utmost respect to sargun sri guru granth sahib ji.

These issues are social level issues, addressing them by highlighting someone's wedding or someone's specific is highly counter productive, will back fire revolt back miserably.

Parcharaikhs need to talk about these broader/social issues in form of parchar- now that is gurmat way- you address two points in one setting without judging anyone personally..!!

Sant Baba Kartar Singh Ji Maharaj heard that Bhai Amrik Singh ji started eating from other places and wrote to Bhai Sahib a letter telling him to stop it. And Bhai Sahib recognized his mistake and stopped. Sant ji showed Rehat is more dear to him than his son. Being the daughter of Bhai Amrik Singh ji does not give her the exemption not to follow rehat.Shaheed Bhai Amrik Singh ji hold rehat more dear to him than son's and daughters. Bhai Sahib followed in his fathers footsteps (Sant ji and Satguru ji).

It is all judging going on, when someone says its so and so son or daughter. Couldn't some third party come along and say.............Sant ji is judging Bhai Amrik Singh ji from the outside by telling him to stop eating from shops. Third parties can make all the assumptions and judge Sant ji all they want, but they fall to ignorance because Satguru said: Rehat is more dear to me than a Sikh. This teaching did not just come up with Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj. Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj taught this teaching when his sons did not follow his command.

Gurmukhs always taught that NO ONE is exempt from following rehat. Doesn't matter who it is. ALL must follow rehat. And Gurmukhs recieved this teaching from Satguru.

If a son and daughter want to be respected the same way their Father was because of his actions and complete submission to rehat, then do just that and then no difference will be seen between the daughter and father. Remember Sant ji was very upset to hear that Bhai Amrik Singh ji was eating from outside shops. Bhai Amrik Singh ji climbed the latter and over came his low actions. Such a Gursikh will hold is father's and Satguru's teachings as high and depart from worldly relationships that make moh grow strong because a son or daughter is going against his father and Satguru.