Need correct translation of Shabad.

Singh559

For some reason I feel like in defense of religion in this shabad is the incorrect translation. Does anyone have a more accurate translation or even a synonym that isn't in English? My thoughts are it's about dharam or righteousness, not specifically religion.

सलोक कबीर ॥
Salok Kabīr.
Shalok, Kabeer:
गगन दमामा बाजिओ परिओ नीसानै घाउ ॥
Gagan ḏamāmā bāji▫o pari▫o nīsānai gẖā▫o.
The battle-drum beats in the sky of the mind; aim is taken, and the wound is inflicted.
खेतु जु मांडिओ सूरमा अब जूझन को दाउ ॥१॥
Kẖeṯ jo māʼndi▫o sūrmā ab jūjẖan ko ḏā▫o. ||1||
The spiritual warriors enter the field of battle; now is the time to fight! ||1||
सूरा सो पहिचानीऐ जु लरै दीन के हेत ॥
Sūrā so pahicẖānī▫ai jo larai ḏīn ke heṯ.
He alone is known as a spiritual hero, who fights in defense of religion.
पुरजा पुरजा कटि मरै कबहू न छाडै खेतु ॥२॥२॥
Purjā purjā kat marai kabhū na cẖẖādai kẖeṯ. ||2||2||
He may be cut apart, piece by piece, but he never leaves the field of battle. ||2||2|

Hmmm... the "...spiritual warriors enter the field of battle; now is the time to fight!" line has me thinking the phrase "spiritual warriors" carries some significance, perhaps more than the obvious - but equally valid - assumption of a physical fight. Maybe "fighting" those who stand in the way of religion (and spirituality) by following a spiritual path is a battle in itself?

Hmmm... the "...spiritual warriors enter the field of battle; now is the time to fight!" line has me thinking the phrase "spiritual warriors" carries some significance, perhaps more than the obvious - but equally valid - assumption of a physical fight. Maybe "fighting" those who stand in the way of religion (and spirituality) by following a spiritual path is a battle in itself?

He means the defense in religion part, he's confused. Should it really say "religion" or maybe something else, like righteousness?

Maybe this will help?
सलोक कबीर ॥
Salok Kabīr.
Shalok, Kabeer:
गगन दमामा बाजिओ परिओ नीसानै घाउ ॥
Gagan ḏamāmā bāji▫o pari▫o nīsānai gẖā▫o.
In Braham Akash (sky) is the Guru in the form of a drum. When the Guru gives his teachings about God, it hits and injures the warriors (Jagiasoo- people walking on the path of Dharam).
खेतु जु मांडिओ सूरमा अब जूझन को दाउ ॥१॥
Kẖeṯ jo māʼndi▫o sūrmā ab jūjẖan ko ḏā▫o. ||1||
The warriors, which are the Sikhs, fight the evil in the battlefield, and they say this is the time/opportunity to fight i.e. (in other words) in the human body the bikars (lust, anger, jealous, desire, etc.) can be defeated.
Those are recognized as warriors those that fight for dharam i.e. those that claim victory over the bikars for meditation.
पुरजा पुरजा कटि मरै कबहू न छाडै खेतु ॥२॥२॥
Purjā purjā kat marai kabhū na cẖẖādai kẖeṯ. ||2||2||
They cut the bikars into pieces. Then even if the warrior dies he should never leave the battlefield i.e. he should not leave opportunities/option to win the battlefield.
Source: Faridkot Wala Teeka
Bhul Chuk Maaf Karnee.

For some reason I feel like in defense of religion in this shabad is the incorrect translation. Does anyone have a more accurate translation or even a synonym that isn't in English? My thoughts are it's about dharam or righteousness, not specifically religion.

He alone is known as a spiritual hero, who fights in defense of religion.

Din- means religion, poor, deprived or underdog even !

het- means love of, or for the sake of..

larai- means to fight.

So YES- I agree, this can mean for rightousness or for the ones that 'need' to be saved..ie.the poor.

This shabad has always been very interesting because it comes from a unique and different angle compared to Kabeerji's other shabads.

NOTE- Kabeerji has been associated quited often with ahimsa- which is very peace loving way.

Most of Kabeerji's shabads are on the grounds of rightousness and highlight the false rituals etc.. and there are many about meditation and how other faiths associate too many outward things like yogis..etc.. and he focuses more on the inward and internal mannerisms !