~~Thread dedicated to Sikh woman Parcharikhs/Sants ~~

N30S1NGH

N30Singh Jee - Once again, a niche topic, excellent thread.

A very old topic comes back again and again to my mind - Why are women not allowed to do Kirtan at Sri Darbar Sahib Amritsar?

I think Shanti Kaur gave a good reply. Lack of backbone and clinging onto brahmanistical mindset that should have been done with after the Singh Sabha movement.

I think Shanti Kaur gave a good reply. Lack of backbone and clinging onto brahmanistical mindset that should have been done with after the Singh Sabha movement.

I think, from the POV of the old-school guys, they would say "Where do we draw line when trying to change ways from the past?". It's easier to say "That's the way things were then, and that's how they'll stay". It does kinda undermine the assertion that Sikhi is about promoting fairness between the sexes, but I can also appreciate where they're coming from. Still doesn't make it right.

I think that because our society is very male dominant, not many female sants are known to everyone. But I believe that there are probably just as many female sants as male sants. They are confined to social norms therefore not many people know of them. Punjabi mindset doesn't allow them to come foreword and do parchar.

Just my two cents on this.

But I believe that there are probably just as many female sants as male sants.

I believe there are more Female Saints as compared to male saints, a small example - although these people might not be saints as per classical definition, but on the path of becoming saints - I can very easily rewind my memories to my family, my nears-and-dears; who does more Paath-Pooja in my families/nears-and-dears, FEMALES/MALES, who used to be 24 hours enchanted in Prabh Ka Simran, Females/Males?. In morning Prabhat-Pheris, predominatly Female Jatha was more active.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I believe there are more Female Saints as compared to male saints, a small example - although these people might not be saints as per classical definition, but on the path of becoming saints - I can very easily rewind my memories to my family, my nears-and-dears; who does more Paath-Pooja in my families/nears-and-dears, FEMALES/MALES, who used to be 24 hours enchanted in Prabh Ka Simran, Females/Males?. In morning Prabhat-Pheris, predominatly Female Jatha was more active.

I think that it has to be true because they have to be of that avasta to bring Sant into this world, I think there a loads of gupt Sants . It's their nature anyway ...to detach from recognition.