Same surname marriage

Guest ms19

Guest Guest

lol...It looks an hypocrisy of sikh people...At last we all know sikhs dont have castes and caste surnames...Idk why dont people follow sikhi....why brahmans given caste surnames are so dear to them rather than sikhi... dasam pita gathered people at anandpur sahib for equalisation and for the establishment of khalsa...and today such people are dont even hesitate to break the principles of sikhi..rather than go to anandpur sahib we all go to worship our jathera pathera idk really whats that....throw your caste name surnmae in some dustbin as same as like baba nanak threw janju from his neck... if you are kaur then marry to singh as long as their is no any blood relation you can maary any sikh guy...come on people at one side we say we are different from hindus..but we are ourselves admitted to hindu beliefs..its just an hypocrisy..stop following brahmins follow our gurus what they told...dont kill sikhi with your own hands

Guest SJR SINGH

I wanted to get some advice on my situation. I have been dating a Sikh boy who has the same surname as me for 6 years now, I am getting to that point in my life where my parents really want me to settle down but I’m so scared to tell them about my bf. At the beginning of the relationship I thought it would be pretty cool to have the same surnames but I am now starting to realise that this could possibly be going against our religion. I am so confused and really scared of my parents reaction to this. Please help.

?? how it can be against our religion sikhism silly? we all know this casteism does not come in sikhism. come on stop following these Hindu rituals..dont you see how our panth has been divided into different classes..for god sake dont kill sikhi or degrade it. there are only two surnames in sikhi singh and kaur..... if there is no any blood relation .go get married him....punjabi culture has always been an enemy of sikhism...its your choice what you follow,..sikhi or our castiesm but dont consider yourself as sikh if you follow these cheap things jathera pathera i dont know...thanks alot to my parents who did nt teach me our gotra...its hindu ..and being in fasshion in sikhs..

Guest SJR SINGH

Yes its a big trouble for u..

As far as i have heard of it. Parents simply say no to such situation.

Same surname people r considered to be brother sisters in our religion.

The only option left when,

Things can b sorted out is if your parents agree on it. And aslo ofcourse his parents also dont mind it. U will have to take stand to convince them. N also u will have to go through strong diagreement from ur parents side.

They wud probably say things which wud break u down.

Bt if u can go through all and still can stand for ur love. I think it may somewhere can help u. Coz at the end when no option wud b left wid ur parents watching u wanting him soo badly they will think of ur happiness. Best luck.

where it has been written that we have castes surnames in our religion silly???? what are you following brahmin waad or sikhi...?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

There's a lot in Punjabi culture that is good as well as bad... The ghotra system works when it comes to ensuring genepoole is kept diverse - a good thing.

The otherthing why would you embaress the people that should matter most to you for selfish reasons? (Thats mum n dad!)

throw your caste name surnmae in some dustbin as same as like baba nanak threw janju from his neck... if you are kaur then marry to singh as long as their is no any blood relation you can maary any sikh guy.

But thats just the thing....How will she know about the close 'blood relationship' if she forgets about his and her own history ?

Every one of us here agrees that 'Caste' has no place in Sikhism. It does not exist. But that doesn't mean we should put our heads in the sand and hide away from reality. The realty is that if she comes from a 'Jatt' background, the surname is an etremely important pointer of which clan she comes from....i.e a single ancestor. Obviously if she has a more common surname such as Gill, Brar etc than there is more likelihood that the single ancestor was way far back in the bloodline with minimal chance of deformities in the child that she and another of the surname has. However, if, like most Jatts, she has one of the surnames that is peculiar to a particular tehsil of a particular district and not found anywhere else, you can be sure that the common ancestor was very recent and both she and the boy are practically siblings. Lets take the surname 'Dosanjh' as an example as it's well known at the moment with the film star Diljit Dosanjh and the Canadian politician (as well as Canada's most infamous gangsters). The surname is only found in 3 villages in the same small area in District Jalandhar. It is not found anywhere else. Both of the other 2 Dosanjh villages only started to exist when the Dosanjh's of the first village (Powadra in district Jalandhar) split and formed their own villages in the 1800's. So, even relatively recently they were all part of the same family practically in the same household.

This 'clan' / district based surname phenonema is only really present among the Jatts as the other Sikh groupings more or less have generic surnames that cut across all district boundaries. In much the same way that English surnames are based on occupation or simply an didentification with a particular grouoing.That is why Kahtris and Arora Sikhs for example, have exactly the same tradition as the Muslims and marry their own Chacha, Thaya, Pooah and Mamma's sons and daughters. Thats not the way the majority of us Sikhs want to go. We don't want to go 'too far' one way or the other. We need to maintain some common sense. Common sense dictates that we understand our history....i.e who we are, where we come from etc. To understand where you're going you have to first understand where you're coming from. To step blindly into the future is to gamble. And the thing you'll be gambling with is your future child's health.

I wanted to get some advice on my situation. I have been dating a Sikh boy who has the same surname as me for 6 years now, I am getting to that point in my life where my parents really want me to settle down but I’m so scared to tell them about my bf. At the beginning of the relationship I thought it would be pretty cool to have the same surnames but I am now starting to realise that this could possibly be going against our religion. I am so confused and really scared of my parents reaction to this. Please help.

Maternal and paternal surnames cannot clash, as per Guru Ji's Mukti Nama. If you feel that you want to over rule Maharaj's Hukum, then that's your choice, but what you want to do is strictly forbidden by Guru Ji...

Maternal and paternal surnames cannot clash, as per Guru Ji's Mukti Nama. If you feel that you want to over rule Maharaj's Hukum, then that's your choice, but what you want to do is strictly forbidden by Guru Ji...

Interesting.I really wanna know where did Ten Gurus talk about caste surnames?

Interesting.I really wanna know where did Ten Gurus talk about caste surnames?

If you had read 'Mukti Nama' by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharajh, you would not need to ask this question. The Mukti Nama, in original Brajj, and translated into simple Gurmukhi, can be read or downloaded from my scribd.com page...