Bhagat Kabeer's shabad

Onlyfive posted this shabad.

बिलावलु ॥
Bilāval.
Bilaaval:
नित उठि कोरी गागरि आनै लीपत जीउ गइओ ॥
Niṯ uṯẖ korī gāgar ānai līpaṯ jī▫o ga▫i▫o.
Every day, he rises early, and brings a fresh clay pot; he passes his life embellishing and glazing it.
ताना बाना कछू न सूझै हरि हरि रसि लपटिओ ॥१॥
Ŧānā bānā kacẖẖū na sūjẖai har har ras lapti▫o. ||1||
He does not think at all of worldly weaving; he is absorbed in the subtle essence of the Lord, Har, Har. ||1||
हमारे कुल कउने रामु कहिओ ॥
Hamāre kul ka▫une rām kahi▫o.
Who in our family has ever chanted the Name of the Lord?
जब की माला लई निपूते तब ते सुखु न भइओ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jab kī mālā la▫ī nipūṯe ṯab ṯe sukẖ na bẖa▫i▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Ever since this worthless son of mine began chanting with his mala, we have had no peace at all! ||1||Pause||
सुनहु जिठानी सुनहु दिरानी अचरजु एकु भइओ ॥
Sunhu jiṯẖānī sunhu ḏirānī acẖraj ek bẖa▫i▫o.
Listen, O my sisters-in-law, a wondrous thing has happened!
सात सूत इनि मुडींए खोए इहु मुडीआ किउ न मुइओ ॥२॥
Sāṯ sūṯ in mudīʼne kẖo▫e ih mudī▫ā ki▫o na mu▫i▫o. ||2||
This boy has ruined our weaving business. Why didn't he simply die? ||2||
सरब सुखा का एकु हरि सुआमी सो गुरि नामु दइओ ॥
Sarab sukẖā kā ek har su▫āmī so gur nām da▫i▫o.
O mother, the One Lord, the Lord and Master, is the source of all peace. The Guru has blessed me with His Name.
संत प्रहलाद की पैज जिनि राखी हरनाखसु नख बिदरिओ ॥३॥
Sanṯ parahlāḏ kī paij jin rākẖī harnākẖas nakẖ biḏri▫o. ||3||
He preserved the honor of Prahlaad, and destroyed Harnaakhash with his nails. ||3||
घर के देव पितर की छोडी गुर को सबदु लइओ ॥
Gẖar ke ḏev piṯar kī cẖẖodī gur ko sabaḏ la▫i▫o.
I have renounced the gods and ancestors of my house, for the Word of the Guru's Shabad.
कहत कबीरु सगल पाप खंडनु संतह लै उधरिओ ॥४॥४॥
Kahaṯ Kabīr sagal pāp kẖandan sanṯėh lai uḏẖāri▫o. ||4||4||
Says Kabeer, God is the Destroyer of all sins; He is the Saving Grace of His Saints. ||4||4||

What we understand by this shabad?

I think it helps to get some background on Kabirji, as this can make the undertstanding some what easier !

Not much is known of Kabir's birth parents, but it is known that he was brought up in a family of Muslim weavers. He was found by a Muslim weaver named Niru and his wife, Nima, in Lehartara, situated in Varanasi. Both Niru and Nima were very poor and illiterate.[7] They adopted the boy and taught him the weaver's trade.

It is not known in detail what sort of spiritual training Kabir may have received. He did not become a sadhu nor did he ever abandon worldly life. Kabir chose instead to live the balanced life of a householder and mystic, a tradesman and contemplative.

However,his early spiritual training came from Ramananda, who became his guru when Kabir was still a child. There are various versions of how Ramananda came to accept Kabir as his disciple. What all the versions agree is that Kabir tricked Ramananda into giving him a mantra for meditation, which forced him to accept Kabir as his disciple. Kabir's family is believed to have lived in the locality of Kabir Chaura in Varanasi. Kabīr maṭha a maṭha lo cated in the back alleys of Kabir Chaura, celebrates his life and times.[9] Accompanying the property is a house named Nīrūṭīlā which houses Niru and Nima's graves.The house also accommodates students and scholars who live there and study Kabir's work.

He was under the wing of Ramanand from a young age, but he actually ended up teaching his master gurmat.

Kabir could clearly see the empty practices that were being done and controlled by the so called 'enlightened' !!

1) In Gurbani, it is clear that Bhagat Kabir spend whole his life in Shivpuri(Kashi,Banaras), and when he grow old, during end days of life he spend his life in Maghar(Uttar Pardesh). Kabir said that he wasted his whole life in benaras and during that tenure he wrote Bijak too. He was not able to find Gurmat their but in Maghar he found Gurmat probably in Company of Saints

2) From Gurbani, it also clears that the lifetime he spent in Kashi wasted in penance and meditation which was of no use. He even said that Saints of Benaras are Hypocrites. They actually tangled in Maya(Temporal) and forget the name of god which he able to find at Maghar

Now, looking at the beginning of this shabad.

What exactly is his mother saying and claiming ??

Has he gone crazy and keeps bringing new pots every day !!!

I don't think that they had that much spare money to start building a huge collection of pots at home, as their trade was weaving !!!

What do other's think ?

From this :
जब की माला लई निपूते तब ते सुखु न भइओ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jab kī mālā la▫ī nipūṯe ṯab ṯe sukẖ na bẖa▫i▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Ever since this worthless son of mine began chanting with his mala, we have had no peace at all! ||1||Pause||
Kabeer Sahib ji changed a lot

ka(n)t(h)ae maalaa jihavaa raam ||
The mala is around my neck, and the Lord's Name is upon my tongue. pg 479

Now mala is in neck rather then hand.

I don't think that they had that much spare money to start building a huge collection of pots at home, as their trade was weaving !!!

What do other's think ?

I think man who gave him mala might had shop of pots want to sell.

I think man who gave him mala might had shop of pots want to sell.

If this was the case, then this wouldnt't be gurbani !!

We have to remember, this is NOT a story.

Gurbani has a message in every shabad and it has it's own individual essence.

Kabir ji, in another shabad(s) does state that the mala is his 'tongue' and breath.

He says 'Har har' as a mantra.

Now many of us that do simran,use a technique with inhaling 'wahe' and exhaling 'guru'.

When you do this, you actually do it by sucking in your navel/stomach with inhale and relaxing it with exhale.

This is referred to as 'reverse breathing'

The point of it is that it acts like a mala, in the sense that it keeps your mind focused on 'waheguru' mantra.

Now Kabir ji and Guru Ramdaas were the ones to advise and mention this, especially breathing with 'har' on inhale and 'har' on exhale !

What do other's think ?

Why do you think Bhagat Kabir ji Maharaj even mentions Bhagat Prahlaad Ji Maharaj in the shabad, what was the point of mentioning the true occurence between Bhagat Prahlaad Ji Maharaj and his father, the king?

Why do you think Bhagat Kabir ji Maharaj even mentions Bhagat Prahlaad Ji Maharaj in the shabad, what was the point of mentioning the true occurence between Bhagat Prahlaad Ji Maharaj and his father, the king?

Might be to explain this
कहत कबीरु सगल पाप खंडनु संतह लै उधरिओ ॥४॥४॥
Kahaṯ Kabīr sagal pāp kẖandan sanṯėh lai uḏẖāri▫o. ||4||4||
Says Kabeer, God is the Destroyer of all sins; He is the Saving Grace of His Saints. ||4||4||
or might be he wanted to say he is now Sant.