Say no to Guru's pictures

panthicunity

Can you explain how putting up a picture of Satguru is idol worship? Have you sat with Gurmukhs or even listened to Gurmukhs speak on this topic? Gurmukhs state do not worship the Guru's picture, but take inspiration from it. Utilize the picture to re-construct how Satguru showed Gurbani through their actions. Gurmukhs say to put up Gurbani around the house and put up the pictures as well.

You have been on here long enough to understand the dark hole the missionary are travelling on. These same people very soon will be no different than the Hindu sages of the past who say there is no God. Don't put one foot in the same hole.

Sargun Nirgun Nirankar......

well said veerji....actually u hit the nail head

Can you explain how putting up a picture of Satguru is idol worship? Have you sat with Gurmukhs or even listened to Gurmukhs speak on this topic? Gurmukhs state do not worship the Guru's picture, but take inspiration from it. Utilize the picture to re-construct how Satguru showed Gurbani through their actions. Gurmukhs say to put up Gurbani around the house and put up the pictures as well.

To even begin to understand or explain Nirgun Saroop of Maharaj is very difficult. If you want we can start a new topic on Nirgun Saroop and all those that oppose putting up pictures can explain to the rest of us ignorant Sikhs how to understand and experience Nirgun Saroop. Many sages ("Hindu") of the past have tried to understand Nirgun Saroop, but they went off the path and came to the conclusion that there is no Brahmin/God or whatever you want to call him.

You have been on here long enough to understand the dark hole the missionary are travelling on. These same people very soon will be no different than the Hindu sages of the past who say there is no God. Don't put one foot in the same hole.

Sargun Nirgun Nirankar......

Can you explain by starting from the beginning. Who told you that it is these are pictures of Satguru. Our Gurus were the Kings of Kings and had all the

best resources at their call. They never ever allowed anyone to make their portraits or idols. So who are you trying to fool by thinking that saying

that you are taking inspiration from these imaginary pictures.

Had people of your mind set had their way all our Gurdwaras would have these imaginary pictures hanging in the Darbar Halls from every nook and corner.

The main point is to understand the difference between 'worship' and 'respect'.

Having a picture, that people give dhoof to, or light candles in front of it is different to having a picture as a reminder and inspiration.

Another point is that most of these pictures can give you a good idea of what the image in human form was !

It may not be exact or precise, but it is enough to let you differentiate between who's who !!

True devotee's and gurmukhs that have darshan, can always identify which Guru ji gave the darshan!!

To we really need the exact details of eyebrow shape, nose structure..size of pupils....etc.. ??

What about pictures for historical purposes, i.e. showing battles or major events in Sikhi, etc? Surely they aren't frowned upon? I ask because for future generations of Sikhs it would be nice if, as a gateway into the faith, they could see historical Sikh events depicted by artists that aren't meant to be bowed down to, but instead analysed much like the classic religious imagery from the Renaissance. You don't see many people light a dhoof or do matha tek to the works of Michaelangelo or Leonardo Da Vinci! :biggrin2:

Vaheguru stop this missionary bakvaas on Sikh Sangat just close the threads when someone does shanka because they arent the sort of people to listen to daleels, it will just confuse the general sangat. basic point what would you rather do put a pic of a model in your child or guru sahib or shaheed? do you put pictures of your fmaily on wall? if so? why? to remember them. same way maybe by seing a photo of guru sahib someone will remember them, a bad thought or situation will finish. just seriously get a life and stop doing shankey on everything.

Vaheguru stop this missionary bakvaas on Sikh Sangat just close the threads when someone does shanka because they arent the sort of people to listen to daleels, it will just confuse the general sangat. basic point what would you rather do put a pic of a model in your child or guru sahib or shaheed? do you put pictures of your fmaily on wall? if so? why? to remember them. same way maybe by seing a photo of guru sahib someone will remember them, a bad thought or situation will finish. just seriously get a life and stop doing shankey on everything.

this is ridiculous. "Close the thread if someone does shanka"? What kind of statement is that? In other words,"if someone has different beliefs then me, censor them"

this is a DISCUSSION FORUM...not some communist forum where you have to agree with me or heads will roll. People just live in their little bubbles and are so afraid of different views. Do you walk around with your eyes closed and ears covered? The mods are already censoring too much on here, and locking threads for no reason...i hope this forum stays as a DISCUSSION forum. Or else, the mods can simply stop allowing people to post and just post articles that they "approve of"

this is ridiculous. "Close the thread if someone does shanka"? What kind of statement is that? In other words,"if someone has different beliefs then me, censor them"

this is a DISCUSSION FORUM...not some communist forum where you have to agree with me or heads will roll. People just live in their little bubbles and are so afraid of different views. Do you walk around with your eyes closed and ears covered? The mods are already censoring too much on here, and locking threads for no reason...i hope this forum stays as a DISCUSSION forum. Or else, the mods can simply stop allowing people to post and just post articles that they "approve of"

I agree with you that even missionary-mind people can have discussions on a discussion forum as this one as long as they do not start slandering Gurmukhs and basic Sikh beliefs. In this case I think OP has put up his own thoughts of removing pictures from our homes to which I strongly disagree. I do not worship the pictures but when I look at them I remember my Sachey Patshah.

Why do you think people put up pictures/paintings/sketches of their loved ones?

To be brief, Nanak’s followers scorn images. Their belief is that all Gurus are Nanak...They do not recite the mantras of the Hindus and do not pay respect to their idol-temples. They do not count the avtaras for anything. They do not have any attachment to Sanskrit, which the Hindus call the language of angels”

The above was noted by Persian historian Mobid, in his book Dabistan-i-Mazahib, written around 1645.

Translated by Irfan Habib and J.S. Grewal: Sikh History from Persian Sources (page 66).

Tuhilka, New Delhi (2001)