Only five

SikhNet >Why is there NO Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji present at this 3HO wedding? We see the 3HO Yogi Bhajan kundalini yoga hierarchy getting further away from true Sikhi. Why? Because tragically it's better for business in the West to be a Hindu or at least do Hindu stuff like yoga and pujas. Does SikhNet support this Un Sikh like Yogi Bhajan kundalini yoga wedding with NO Siri Guru Granth Sahib present? See 1:32 minutes in the video: http://vimeo.com/13319601

This comment came from an ex 3HOer at this link: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=KamallaRose&ctx&cacheTag=30-12&msg=1245.1
"I think for many of the people who were into 3HO in the early 70s, Sikhi was not welcome. I was of two minds. While I was taken with Sikhi from the word go, 3HO pre-Sikhi was a lot more fun; there was much more spontaneity and joy. It was sad to see most of that disappear.

Even though I always loved Sikhi I watched the ingress of Sikhi into 3HO with mixed feelings. As far as I could see most people didn't "get it". They went along with it because YB said to go along with it and it was either that or be cut off from the tribe. There were plenty of people who left because they could not handle Sikhi.

Sikhi did not come to 3HO because there was spontaneous desire for it; it came because YB slowly and gradually insisted upon it.

As I watched that tightening of discipline and enforcement I hoped that everyone, or at least most, would come to love Sikhi as I did and that it would become second nature in 3HO.

At the same time I knew we were losing something innocent and joyful as people were being forced to conform.

3HO is reverting to an approximation of what it was in the early 70s. I do not see that that Sikhi will make a strong resurgence within 3HO like it did in 73-75 without a Bhajan to enforce it.

My prediction is that Sikhi is going to be downplayed and perhaps eventually phased out of 3HO events like Solstice. I don't think it will totally disappear as long as the older generation is still around.

If you look at that video of Harijiwan, Erin and Tej, with all due respect to Tej she is the past of 3HO; Erin is the present and future.
Why? Because she is attractive and looks like fun, Tej doesn't. Most of all, Erin represents a better business model. As a certain Baba in India said about YB, "primarily he's a businessman"; his students are following in his footsteps.
http://vimeo.com/13319601

In the final analysis most Bhajanistas did not "get" Sikhi in spite of the lip service they give and their frantic assertions that "we are mainstream Sikhs; we are the Khalsa".

Now that controls are off and people can get away with almost anything the truth is coming out. It is not yet politically correct for those near the top to go too far out (except for Guru Singh) but I predict that will change. We will see the SDI hierarchy getting further and further away from true Sikhi. Why? Because tragically it's better for business in the West to be a Hindu or at least do Hindu stuff.

After taking into account savinderpalsingh's post, what is most insidious is they are aware of their failings, but they still wish to proceed in this direction, i.e. gradually shedding Sikhi in favour of something that is less "stringent" (in their words)? And rather than put their hands up and say "We can't deal with Sikhi" they are going to try and reason and justify their way out of this quandry by giving the impression that somehow they are in the right to ensure the business doesn't suffer? Surely that isn't correct, is it?

Yes, I know the equivalent is happenning amongst us "brownies" as well.

Yes, I know the equivalent is happenning amongst us "brownies" as well.

That's what I find difficult. Our own people complaining about others doing what we are.

In Panjabi we say 'sweep under your own manji before you start pointing fingers'.

Given our own lamentable failings, exactly what position do we have to condemn others?

That's what I find difficult. Our own people complaining about others doing what we are.

In Panjabi we say 'sweep under your own manji before you start pointing fingers'.

Given our own lamentable failings, exactly what position do we have to condemn others?

I've heard that saying as well. :biggrin2:

I suppose the saving grace in this particular 3HO situation is that if they do eventually begin to fade out the Sikh aspect of their operation, and move towards a more Hindu-oriented approach there won't be any place to hide as it were, i.e. there won't be any mistaking the group for Sikhs if they begin to use Hindu imagery and systems of worship, etc. Is that the central sticking point for those amongst us who feel 3HO are mispresenting Sikhi, i.e. the whole murti pooja, etc?

I say let them evolve and see where things end up. Any intervention from the "brownies" will automatically be perceived as the austere majority dictating to the chilled-out caucasian minority on how to do things. P.R. wise it'll look like 3HO are being bulled by the big, bad Singhs from India. As we all know, in this day and age, P.R. is 9/10ths of the law ( :lol2: ).

Although going by that post by an ex-3HO member will they willingly relinquish their Sikh ties considering so much of their business operation relies on Sikh iconography? If the dollar is more pyaara to them than the right thing to do, then I guess they won't. Then we'll be into the territory of recrimination and bitterness, much like the whole Pro-Dasam Granth and Anti-Dasam Granth cold war going on at the moment.

I personally think this situation needs to be treated much differently, and with a much more softer approach. Embrace them like brothers and sisters, sit down with them and discuss what exactly is going on. You never know it might work.

Sarvinderpal Singh ji,

There are usually two sides of the story- truth/gurmat usually in the middle.

Truth does not cover up 3ho practices which are contary to gurmat nor truth entertain gursant singh exaggerated guerilla war journalism/ulterior motives.

I have said this in a past but best way to go about doing this is taking up to akaal takth sahib and present the case and pursuing akaal takth sahib signing oversee committee to investigate both 3ho and gursant singh. Edited

As for op, great video but *Edited* lame attempt to further villify/demonize snatam kaur. Whilst she can speak for herself, from my meeting along with lot of sikhs who have met her personally she is humble gursikh, much better sikh than me...as for the video for her doing pooja in interfaith session during her visit to shiv temple...on premises its in interfaith and also on premises that she does not do pooja of idols every day it just just interfaith event trip to shiv mandir in india....i give her benefit of doubt instead of crucify her on a khanda...!!!

There are plenty of severe grave problems punjabi sikhs are diseased with and are much more severe than than snatam kaur video at the mandir such as *Edited* , castism, curropt fake sants/gurdom/masands/mahants, missionaries super imposing itself and hijacking the panth which should be more concerned to panth than harmless interfaith snatam kaur video..!!

Here is bit about how we are diseased with katarvaad/fascism from Satkaryog jathedar of sri akaal takth sahib- jathedar gurbachan singh ji:

(fwd to 7.54 onwards)

I say let them evolve and see where things end up. Any intervention from the "brownies" will automatically be perceived as the austere majority dictating to the chilled-out caucasian minority on how to do things. P.R. wise it'll look like 3HO are being bulled by the big, bad Singhs from India. As we all know, in this day and age, P.R. is 9/10ths of the law ( :lol2: ).

Although going by that post by an ex-3HO member will they willingly relinquish their Sikh ties considering so much of their business operation relies on Sikh iconography? If the dollar is more pyaara to them than the right thing to do, then I guess they won't. Then we'll be into the territory of recrimination and bitterness, much like the whole Pro-Dasam Granth and Anti-Dasam Granth cold war going on at the moment.

The 'big bad Singh's from India are full of their own hidden 5hite to be able to be able to say anything in my opinion. Like casteism and corruption isn't endemic in our own monopolised institutes. Like low down politics doesn't have a strong hold on even our highest institutes in Panjab. A person has to be one seriously deranged, denialist to avoid seeing the rot in our own state of affairs. Sometimes I just feel like pointing fingers at people like 3Ho is a tactic used by apnay to avoid facing up to their own kartootaan.

Are Panjabi Sikhs any less motivated by money and status - personally I think not. That doesn't justify anything wrong being done by 3Ho but it does put an onus on us to sort our own crap out before we haughtily survey others - no?

As for sitting down like brothers and sisters and sorting things out amicably - brother!! Are you serious?? Panjabi Sikhs haven't even learned to do that amongst themselves, let alone with others as a thousand and one incidents, major and minor will testify.

Why do you believe Snatam Kaur of 3HO, NOW has to make a video of trying to convince everyone that she is a Sikh? Seems pointless right!!! Shouldn't her actions speak for whether she is a Sikh or not?

Only Five... Why do never post any videos that make your jatha look bad? Your holier than thou attitude is very arrogant. Get out of the bubble buddy, open your eyes. It's all Waheguru's kedh. First you post a Dhunda video, where you tried to "trap" the missionaries by trying to make a point, and now this. I'll tell you one thing:Snatam Kaur doesn't care what you say about her. She's not gonna judge you like you do to her (and everyone else that doesn't belong to your "group"). Seriously buddy, chill out. All this negativity is not good for Spirituality. Let's just focus on ourselves. We aren't some brahmgianis who have all the answers, in fact we know nothing. So why are we always telling others about things we don't know ourselves?