Ready for hanging but when will culprits of 1984 riots be sent to gallows: Balwant Singh Rajoana

JSinghnz

ByIP Singh, TNN | Feb 18, 2013, 12.19 PM IST

JALANADHAR: Balwant Singh Rajoana, convicted in Beant Singh assassination case, has once again refused to plead for mercy and reasserted his readiness to go to gallows. He questioned that after Afzal Guru's hanging, when the 'butchers of Delhi who killed thousands of innocent Sikhs in November 1984 would be hanged?'

In a four page letter written from Patiala jail on February 16, Rajoana has mentioned that afterGuru's execution major political parties were asking one another to clear their position on his hanging. "With this letter I want to make my position clear once again that I am not ready to bow before the Congress. Neither I earlier pleaded for mercy nor will I do it in future. They can test my determination at any time," the letter stated.

In his letter, Rajoana has also strongly criticised the Sikh radical elements "who raise the slogans of Khalistan but contest the election without any ground work to help Congress."

"They are actually the agents of Delhi," he added.

Rajoana also sought to clarify that he was not against any community and was not communal but stood for the universal values of Sikhism which treated all with equality.