DAVID CAMERON COMES UP SHORT IN HIS VISIT TO INDIA

JagtarSinghKhalsa

DAVID CAMERON COMES UP SHORT IN HIS VISIT TO INDIA

20 February 2013

On the one hand British Sikhs are delighted British Prime Minister David Cameron has today made the effort to visit and pay his respects at Harmander Sahib, the Golden Temple Complex.

In addition, as the first serving British Prime Minister to visit the scene of the Amritsar massacre of 1919 we welcome his statement that:

"This was a deeply shameful event in British history one that Winston Churchill rightly described at the time as monstrous. We must never forget what happened here. And in remembering, we must ensure that the United Kingdom stands up for the right to peaceful protest anywhere in the world."

However, much has been written whether during his visit he has done enough to encourage Sikhs to vote Conservative in the UK in constituencies such as Wolverhampton South West during the next General Election. Whilst some Sikhs might be taken in by photographs of David Cameron in Amritsar, the vast majority will look at his actions and that of the Conservative-led Coalition.

He would have been in the right and expected by British Sikhs to mention Indias own massacre in Amritsar in more recent times in June 1984 when the Indian Army used tanks and artillery to attack the Harmandir Sahib Complex and kill thousands of innocent Sikh pilgrims.

The Conservatives need to realise this is far more important than the 1919 massacre given the majority of British Sikhs are born in the UK and the events of 1984 are very fresh in their minds and many of those who perpetrated those killings of innocent Sikh pilgrims have not been punished.

Given the way the Indian Prime Minister ambushed David Cameron in their joint press conference yesterday about the UK helicopter firm AgustaWestland he should have used the opportunity to reach out to British Sikhs and demonstrate the UK will not be constantly blackmailed by threats to trade deals by India.

David Cameron also failed to publicly condemn India for two hangings in the last three months and the growing trend to hang others despite many letters from UK MPs prior to his visit to condemn India for moving in this direction. A debate is planned in the main Chamber of the UK Parliament on 28 February for the Abolition of the Death Penalty in India and this failure to publicly raise the issue will be exposed by opposition MPs.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

It was a bad idea letting Cameron into the Golden Temple. Did you see how his eyes popped out? The man had never seen so much gold in his life. Wouldnt be surprised if he tried to break some off to sell at Cash4Gold to bring the deficit down. It's not like they havent tried before...

It was a bad idea letting Cameron into the Golden Temple. Did you see how his eyes popped out? The man had never seen so much gold in his life. Wouldnt be surprised if he tried to break some off to sell at Cash4Gold to bring the deficit down. It's not like they havent tried before...

_65971960_65971959.jpg

Wouldn't be suprised if he thought "why didn't the old British take this gold when we were last here".

Money hungry Conservatives.

_65971960_65971959.jpg

Wouldn't be suprised if he thought "why didn't the old British take this gold when we last here".

Money hungry Conservatives.

They tried to didnt they? I think it was the 1880s, the British tried to sell Harmandir Sahib but there was a storm and one of the auctioneers was killed by lightning or the auction house was destroyed by a storm. It's years since I was told the story and I cant remember the details but nobody talks about it nowadays.

Fateh

Cameron isnt Dyer nor is this the 1919.

As for him looking around at the gold, its the first time his been to Harminder Sahib, so he is probley amazed.

Im not banging our own drum, but he hasnt visted any other relgious shrines in india of other religions, not that i know of anyway,

Sikhs are one of the most succesful communities in Britain. Of course he would visit the Darbar Sahib. He wants votes, seeing as most Sikhs vote Labour.

Btw my comment above was a joke. It is his first time there. I was like that when I first visited Darbar Sahib.

Besides, doesn't India have some apologising to do to many communities living in India?