BC Gurdwaras- table and chairs?

N30S1NGH

There are people in bC who used to and some still go to darbar hall bareheaded and some of them do not bow to Guru Granth sahib as well. They sit in diwan hall bareheaded.twice i was there in victoria and i have seen it with my own eyes. These people really make mockery of sikh traditions.They come there for picnic and have langar. Please do not ask if they are sikhs. the answer is yes they are sikhs who came from punjab long time back and follow western traditions may not be in academics but culturally.

I would have thought that the weather all year round is better in BC, especially Vancouver.

This is the reason we picked here when we came from UK, although we had checked out Toronto, Calgary,Edmonton,Ottawa..etc...

The most appealing place for us brits was Ottawa. But the cold snowy winters of Ontario put us off.

Coming from UK, the crime here is Minimum,- I don't think much of it !

Infact back in UK where we used to sleep upstairs, then we would activate the house alarm every night downstairs whilst asleep ans still someone attempted to break in !!!

You don't get that crap even in the worst areas in Canada !

Yes in Surrey they have a lot of Indo-canadians involved in drug trade/supply..etc.. but still these figures are not as bad or near as the same size cities in US.

As for Gurdwaras, I have only stuck to a couple of them and they are not communist/comrade.

There is only ONE public Gurdwara in Vancouver as far as I know, and that is where the big issue of chairs/tables has been in play with the commitees- but the youth slate is still running the show !

Like I say, I've only been here a few years, so I can't give the best advise, but I can't imagine a darbar where they walk around bare-headed !

I'm not sure, but if this is the case then this needs to be exposed !

Compared to Ontario it is much less crowded in BC, and it is very easy to settle in for a quiet life near the city.

brampton is cool!! :) if your gonna move out of toronto and stuff, I reccomend mission. mission is a town in bc near abotssfield and it has a good sikh population and gurrdwara and stuff. You have really beautiful scenery there like my cousins live there and you can see the forest and the rockies, its beautiful.

but alberta is so cold!!!!

Veer Jee,

BC has nice scenerey here and there, but that's about it.

From what I've heard BC is way worse than Ontario.

In what ways?

• weather-wise (Ontario has better weather)
  • MAJOR gang/drug/gun/youth problem (due to water access from the ocean and land access from USA)
  • MAJOR smuggling problem (due to water access from the ocean and land access from USA)
  • MAJOR missionary/kala-afghana stronghold and brainwashed mindset
  • Modern Sikhism takeover (examples: tables and chairs for EVERYONE, not just seniors/disabled individuals. Also a major problem is the purposeful mixing of culture and religion. In BC, Nagar Keertans have Bhangra, Giddha and singing performances going throughout the Nagar Keertan, on huge stages and what-not. And the really messed up part is that when you see the people at the Nagat Keertans being interviewed, they say they LOVE it and that there should be more of it happening. More people are focused on the dancing and partying there rather than the Nagar Keertan itself. It's really messed up over there.) You would NEVER (hopefully) see that in Toronto. A lot of Toronto Sangat actually shakes their heads when they hear about these kinds of things going on in BC.
  • Ontario has ALOT of Sangat. There is a large number of AKJ, DDT, Nanaksar, etc. Lots of Gursikhs and senior Gursikhs in Toronto or visit Toronto all the time.
  • Last but not the least, Ontario has just as nice scenery as BC. If you go even just 20-30 minutes outside of the city, there are beautiful landscapes with trees, quiet neighbourhoods and amazing atmosphere.

^ That's what I've understood from others over the years.

I agree, BC nagar kirtans are more like a Punjab parade. surrey is known for its punjabi gangs, crime and those so called sikhs who label themselves as 'jatts'. and yeah toronto has a lot more smaagams and you get more gursikhs living there than BC

any place in the lower mainland or abbotsford will not be too far from a decent gurdwara that follows basic maryada. abbotsford is probably the furthest east you can go in the fraser valley as mission's gurdwara is, from what i've heard, very very liberal. i don't see why you would want to llive in a small town as they lack in opportunities for youth and have smaller sangat (so less kamai).