Scientology and Sikhism

Singh23

So I was wondering what Scientology was about and wikipedia'd it. Under the body and spirit section i came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scientology

Body and Spirit

Scientology beliefs revolve around the thetan, the individualized expression of the cosmic source, or life force, named after the Greek letter theta (θ).[103][104][105] The thetan is the true identity of a person – an intrinsically good, omniscient, non-material core capable of unlimited creativity.[103][104]

In the primordial past, thetans brought the material universe into being largely for their own pleasure.[103] The universe has no independent reality, but derives its apparent reality from the fact that most thetans agree it exists.[104] Thetans fell from grace when they began to identify with their creation, rather than their original state of spiritual purity.[103] Eventually they lost their memory of their true nature, along with the associated spiritual and creative powers. As a result, thetans came to think of themselves as nothing but embodied beings.[104][106]

Thetans are reborn time and time again in new bodies through a process called "assumption" which is analogous to reincarnation.[103] Like Hinduism, Scientology posits a causal relationship between the experiences of earlier incarnations and one's present life, and with each rebirth, the effects of the MEST universe (MEST here stands for matter, energy, space, and time) on the thetan become stronger.[103]

ummmmmm.....so anybody notice any similarities? because this sounds similar to a post I remember N30SINGH ji saying about the creation of sargun from nirgun and the veil of Maya being created, and MEST sounds like karam, and

"thetans came to think of themselves as nothing but embodied beings"

this kinda reminds me of man thoo jot saroop hai, apna mool pachan....

Should we start saying Baba L. Ron Hubbard Scientologywale?

It has turned into a cult like organization, but the true scientologists do believe in a way of life similar to gurmat.

They believe in the atma as we call it, but associate everything scientifically.

I don't actually know of any ''nutty'' people belonging to this church as of yet, but I could be wrong !

Be afraid of Scientology. Be very afraid. :omg:

Thankfully it only really affects those in the Hollywood system so lets hope it stays that way! They are growing in power and influence though.

You are joking again brother. Sikhs do not know how to be afraid of anything except Waheguru.

Based on above, I think we can say Scientology have certain aspects which is aligned with gyan layer of advait Gurmat but Gurmat and Scientology *ARE NOT* raw form of each other.

Gurmat speaks to each and every human consciousness and perception as each human have different different karams/antish karan and each human need different aspects of divinity(see below) at different stages to become one with divinity. Gurmat gives updesh to all different types of students, at each and every different state of mind. Please see this thread for more info (Gurmat gives updesh to three types of student) : http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/70060-three-types-of-students-according-to-gurmat/

Gurmat beautifully intertwines and blends- vahiguroo bhagti (naam simran/seva), advait/gyan - non dualism, love, sacrifice devotion, longing, hakum/raza of vahiguroo, karam-grace of vahiguroo- aspects in one's Gursikhi life whereas Scientology only believes in gyan layer of supreme power/energy.

All though gurmat acknowledges ultimate reality- gyan layer of divinity- man tu jot saroop hai, apna mool paichain but with that being said- Gurmat gives updesh of bhagti and gyan (blended with each other) to humanity because without bhagti/guru kirpa -if one follows raw form of gyan layer without satguru/gurparsad- one can potentially fall into subtle ego (sukhsham ahankar) which can only be destroyed by Satguru not by this mere mortal.

At the end, I would say yes Scientology have certain aspects which are aligned with Gurmat but they are not raw form of each other. I think Scientology is more closer to advait vedanta philosophy by adi sankarcharya ji than Gurmat.

Based on above, I think we can say Scientology have certain aspects which is aligned with gyan layer of advait Gurmat but Gurmat and Scientology *ARE NOT* raw form of each other.

I agree with your comment and observation.

Although I have still been too lazy to find out in depth what it is all about, I can go by what I know from some scientologists that I have come across in my life.

What interested me was the fact that there way of living was aligned with gurmat in the sense of 'truth'

For eg....

- They were very firm believers in kirat karni and vand shakna.

-Living and earning by honest means was fundamental,although they both actually worked for the church of scientology !!

-They considered honesty and telling the truth the only way of life. Infact they wouldn't even tell a 'white lie' if it meant another gaining in some way.

-However, although they did not have any caste system as such, they did firmly believe that they should NOT associate with any one involved even in some petty crime,fraud..etc...Thus, they viewed people that practiced anti-gurmat so to say, as the 'untouchables' or the ones to avoid and not mix with at al- since they felt it caused a negative energy effect to their atma.

Saying this, they would never associate with the ''Double dipping" punjabis that pretend they suffer and have all sorts in order to milk the goverment !! :biggrin2:

Now, I know that you (Neoji) are fully aware and observant about the activities that go on around us !

AND, these make you realise and question just how ''Gurmat'' our own sangat actually is ?? :respect: :nono: :ohno: