Still the defination of raj yoga is not clear. This is pauri by Bhai Gurdass ji talks about something different.

ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈਆ ਚੰਗੀਆ ਮਾਵਾਂ ਭੈਣਾਂ ਧੀਆਂ ਜਾਣੈ।

Daykhi Paraaeeaan Changeeaan Maavaan Bhainaan Dheeaan Jaanai.

The Sikh ought to treat beautiful women of others as his mothers, sisters, and daughters.

ਉਸੁ ਸੂਅਰੁ ਉਸੁ ਗਾਇ ਹੈ ਪਰ ਧਨ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੈ।

Ousu Sooaru Ousu Gaai Hai Par Dhan Hindoo Mousalamaanai.

Others' wealth for him is as beef for Hindu and pork for a Muslim.

ਪੁਤ੍ਰ ਕਲਤ੍ਰ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਮੋਹੇ ਮੋਹਿ ਨ ਧੋਹਿ ਧਿਙਾਣੈ।

Poutr Kalatr Koutanbu Daykhi Mohay Mohi N Dhohi Dhiaanai.

Out of infatuation for his son, wife or family, he should not betray and deceive anyone.

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕੰਨਿ ਸੁਣਿ ਆਪਹੁ ਬੁਰਾ ਨ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੈ।

Ousatati Nidaa Kanni Souni Aapahu Buraa N Aakhi Vakhaanai.

While listening to the praises and slander of others, he should not talk ill of anybody.

ਵਡ ਪਰਤਾਪੁ ਨ ਆਪੁ ਗਣਿ ਕਰਿ ਅਹੰਮੇਉ ਨ ਕਿਸੈ ਰਞਾਣੈ।

Vad Parataapu N Aapu Gani Kari Ahanmayu N Kisai Raanai.

Neither he should count himself as great and glorious nor should he out of his ego, snub anybody.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੁਖਫਲ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਾਜੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਰਸ ਰਲੀਆ ਮਾਣੈ।

Guramoukhi Soukh Phal Paaiaa Raaju Jogu Ras Raleeaa Maanai.

Gurmukh of such a nature practises Raj yoga (the highest yoga), lives peacefully

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਕੁਰਬਾਣੈ ॥੧੧॥

Saadhasangati Vitahu Kurabaanai ॥11॥

And goes to sacrifice his self unto the holy congregation.

Vaar 29, Pauri 11 of 21 1

Gurdeepji, I can see what you mean and why you question !

I will try and answer, but I am not entirely sure !

The problem is that Raj yoga is probably much different and reformulated to what it was back then. I know we have normal gorey doing raja yoga classes here and i'm sure they are not enlightened! :lol2:

Going back to the days of Guruji, I think it's correct to say that Raja yoga was the Highest form of yoga. In other words it was the one that could free you from your mind as stated above earlier.

The yogis that practiced this with dedication were enlightened and we can't argue that because even Guru Nanak ji never questioned that in Sidh Gosht.

However, from sidh gosht we also know that these Yogis or sadhus found it essential to be recluse and hiding away in the caves so that they could be free from their minds and thus be in union with God.!

Like I said above, Guru Nanak Ji's point was to explain that this enlightenment could be attained away from the caves in normal society providing the conduct was gurmat and one searched within using the name of the Lord.

So, in my opinion when references are made to raj yoga in gurbani, it is referring to the results of Raj Yoga

Since results are enlightenment, union and God Realisation.

Therefore in short, a reference to raj yoga means -

Raja Yoga = Enlightenment, God Realisation and Union.

The above shabad is about What and How a Guru's sikh should conduct themselves and still be able to attain the 'results' of raj yoga which are enlightenment and God realisation, without hiding away from society.

Gurmat is about being in society and grihasti jeevan.

This is what I personally make of it and it is just an assumption but I could be wrong and there may be a shabad to support that, but I haven't come acroos one yet ! :wow: