The Future Of Gurdwaras In Pakistan

chatanga

how did that haveli of our finest general turn into a Madrassa?

Well, we lost the AngloSikh wars and then we had a bizarre idea that after the Second World War we would get our own country or live in a nice big secular and federal India. We did end up in India but most of Punjab ended up in Pakistan. Most Sikh palaces and historical buildings have been taken over.

I have read an interview of sikh he was first medical professional from Pakistan.

He said in his interview there are no or very less opportunities for sikhs for professional courses.

SGPC can help Pakistan Gurdwara Management committee to set up education centers.

Money needs to be diverted towards setting school, colleges etc. for the sikhs of Pakistan.

I know of the doctor you are talking about. He passed all his doctors exams but opted for a post in the Pakistan Traffic Police. I beleive he was the first Sikh to enroll in the Pakistan Police Service.

I agree that there are few opportunities, but the Pak Sikhs have to branch out in other career fields. The Pak Sikhs are like 99.9% Khatris, and they engage in the only trade they have known for centuries. It would be great if they also became Doctors, University lecturers, Solicitors or scientists etc.

That way they would get recognition in the Pakistan Public a lot more, than their localities, which is where they are right now.

A school could be set upo, after all it would only be in 2 areas, Nanakana Sahib, and Peshawar. There is a Guru Nanak University/College at Nanakana Sahib, but i had no idea of its curriculum, or speciality.

I think probably given the situation in Pakistan, it may be better to help the Sikh children get educated where they are, rather than set up a school specifically for them.

I know of the doctor you are talking about. He passed all his doctors exams but opted for a post in the Pakistan Traffic Police. I beleive he was the first Sikh to enroll in the Pakistan Police Service.

I agree that there are few opportunities, but the Pak Sikhs have to branch out in other career fields. The Pak Sikhs are like 99.9% Khatris, and they engage in the only trade they have known for centuries. It would be great if they also became Doctors, University lecturers, Solicitors or scientists etc.

That way they would get recognition in the Pakistan Public a lot more, than their localities, which is where they are right now.

A school could be set upo, after all it would only be in 2 areas, Nanakana Sahib, and Peshawar. There is a Guru Nanak University/College at Nanakana Sahib, but i had no idea of its curriculum, or speciality.

I think probably given the situation in Pakistan, it may be better to help the Sikh children get educated where they are, rather than set up a school specifically for them.

Professional education colleges can be setup specifically for sikhs in there locatlity.

Professional education colleges can be setup specifically for sikhs in there locatlity.

How many Sikhs to you think there are in Pakistan? Any college would be a very small college unless you wanted Muslims top enroll as well. There are anly about 25,000 Sikhs, and thats pushing it as well, in Pakistan.

I think SGPC or Taksal should open up a Taksal/Seminary to impart religious study for the Sikhs of Pakistan where they can get Gurmat knowledge. That is the most important knowledge of all and that should be the first priority. After that Sikhs can set up some kind of scholarship program to fund the higher education of the Sikhs who can get that from the various colleges and universities all over Pakistan.

• 2 weeks later...

I think SGPC or Taksal should open up a Taksal/Seminary to impart religious study for the Sikhs of Pakistan where they can get Gurmat knowledge. That is the most important knowledge of all and that should be the first priority. After that Sikhs can set up some kind of scholarship program to fund the higher education of the Sikhs who can get that from the various colleges and universities all over Pakistan.

Its very unlikely that Pakistan would allow SGPC or indian national sikhs into Pakistan as part of a study program. Moving in the other direction would be more likely, ie Pakistani Sikhs coming to India (or Britian even) for religious studies, and then returning to set up a seminary.