IS Cow sacred to Sikhs or not?

singhmankaran

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have gone through one article where some Sikhs believe that Cow is important to Sikhs maybe they are Namdhari Sikhs....

But is cow important to Sikhs????

and there are some Gurbani Tukhs written in this article by Bhagat Singh

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-youth/22775-the-importance-of-cows-in-sikhism.html

The Khaamadhayn, the cow of miraculous powers, is the singing of the Glory of the Lord's Name, Har, Har.
Guru Arjan Dev

When it rains, the cows always have grass to graze upon, and housewives can churn the milk into butter.
Guru Nanak Dev

If the rivers became cows, giving milk, and the spring water became milk and ghee;

Guru Nanak Dev

A cow without milk; a bird without wings; a garden without water - totally useless!
Guru Nanak Dev

They tax the cows and the Brahmins, but the cow-dung they apply to their kitchen will not save them.

Guru Nanak Dev

A Hindu friend of mine has an argument with me over this issue I told him that Cow is'nt sacred to Sikhs...He showed me these Gurbani Tukhs and it says that cow has been mentioned many times by SIkh Guru"s.........Is it true or false

Plzz enlighten Sikh Bro's Or is it some propaganda??

Why should we believe in these things....and Is cow mentioned in Sikhism???

A cow is as sacred as water and other animals.

Milk is derived from cows and milk is considered an essential. It is seen as nutritious white/clean or a symbol of animal purity.

This is one reason for inclusion in shabads.

But just like we shouldn't differentiate between castes, then we shouldn't differentiate between animals and regard some as pure/sacred and other as impure/dirty (like muslims do with pigs)

Guest Randeep Singh

firsty , I want to say that my knowledge is not so far to give comment on Guru Granth Sahib. But with my little knowledge what I think is that there is no relation between Cow and Sikhs. Basically the Guru ji gives all these as examples for the better understanding of readers. Actually Sikhs is associated with all the things in the world, As sikh see that One God in every creature bt there is no sacred relation. There are lots of others words in Gurbani associated with others religon, Bt all of them are given as examples only.

Hopes You should get ur ans. and one more thing, always read full shabad rather than getting meaning from just one tuk.

Waheguru ji da Khalsa Waheguru ji di fateh.

ਹਕੁ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਉਸੁ ਸੂਅਰ ਉਸੁ ਗਾਇ ॥

Hak Paraaeiaa Naanakaa Ous Sooar Ous Gaae ||

To take what rightfully belongs to another, is like a Muslim eating pork, or a Hindu eating beef.

This is tuk from pg 141 of Guru Nanak Sahib, Cow and pig compared.

Muslim see pig pork as "Haram" and hindu takes cow as holy so they do not eat beef. But these are metaphor nothing more then that.

Ironically most of the hindus do not know it is right to serve meat in "Shrad". Cow, Peepal and "Foots"(now days they have stickers of foots saying it of Laxmi(goddess of wealth), there is temple associated with foots with a hindu devta) but all of these were sacred for budhist and when Hindu managed to Hindunize budhism they took it from Budhism. Vegeterian concept they have adopted from Jainism.

They even say Guru Granth Sahib talks(praise) about Sri Ram S/o Dashrath but this is what Guru Sahib consider, they are mortal

ਰਾਮੁ ਗਇਓ ਰਾਵਨੁ ਗਇਓ ਜਾ ਕਉ ਬਹੁ ਪਰਵਾਰੁ ॥

Raam Gaeiou Raavan Gaeiou Jaa Ko Bahu Paravaar ||

Raam Chand passed away, as did Raawan, even though he had lots of relatives.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਥਿਰੁ ਕਛੁ ਨਹੀ ਸੁਪਨੇ ਜਿਉ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੫੦॥

Kahu Naanak Thhir Kashh Nehee Supanae Jio Sansaar ||50||

Says Nanak, nothing lasts forever; the world is like a dream. ||50||

There are many such examples in Guru Granth Sahib. Don't take your friend seriously.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have gone through one article where some Sikhs believe that Cow is important to Sikhs maybe they are Namdhari Sikhs....

But is cow important to Sikhs????

Why should we believe in these things....and Is cow mentioned in Sikhism???

First of all please read Gurbani and your history.

Here is link to a book you should read and then talk to your friend.

• 7 years later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, Guest Gupt said:

Guru gobind singh ji writes two times about the protection of cows in his bani of ugardanti.

why only pointing out cow? just a word which is given as an example?  guru ji have treated everyone and everything equally. Gurbani teaches us about humanity and REHAT maryada in many shabads, lets have a conversation about that instead of cow. mate!