Sign in to follow this  
Guest anon

Amrit Sanchar: Naam sanskar and english translation?

Guest anon

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Please could someone help me with some questions.

- I have a Christian name. Can I have naam sanskar with amrit sanchar, if so how do I request this? I spoke to a granthi ji at Singh Sabha
Gurdwara Southall, who did not understand why I wanted a new name? When pressed he said I should ask the panj pyare before the sanchar and they will decide if i am eligible for a new name. I can't surely be called eg Mathew John Singh? What's the standard procedure here and how do I approach the panj piare?

- I have done my best to learn Punjabi. It is good enough for casual conversation but I am scared of not understanding the panj piare during
amrit sanchar. Also, as my conversational Punjabi is decent and I am olive skinned, people initially assume that I am Punjabi/Indian which I am not (they soon realise after a longer conversation). So, how do I ask for a translation without offending anyone? If they can't or won't, will I be turned away as the granthi seemed to suggest?

Please help.

cleardot.gif

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest anon

A hukamnama is given after the Amrit Sanchar - you can choose a name based on the first letter of the hukamnama.

If you are in doubt, contact the gurdwara beforehand. I'd be surprised if there weren't english speaking sangat there, but you could take someone with you to explain your situation and have any questions answered.

Guest Guest

Visit the gurdwara in advance and take someone with you who understands both languages. It's best to have all doubts and questions answered beforehand!

There will be a hukamnama after the Amrit Sanchar so you should be able to get the first leter of your name then.

Guest anon

Visit the gurdwara in advance and take someone with you who understands both languages. It's best to have all doubts and questions answered beforehand!

There will be a hukamnama after the Amrit Sanchar so you should be able to get the first leter of your name then.

First, I want to congratulate you on taking Amrit! :) I am glad you are about to become Guru Godind Singh ji's son!

When you are sitting for Amrit Sanchaar, and they call you inside the room, you can Ask Panj peyare. When you are inside the room, you can just tell them too. Its a good idea if you want to change the name because it will be Guru ji who will give you the letter of your first name.

Don't worry, they will understand if you ask for translation. Maybe memorize punjabi version of "I want to change my name" and say that when you are taking Amrit. :)

• Like 1

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa !! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!

Waheguru ji , congrats

yes panj pyaari must change your name .

They still do in Sachkhand Sri Hazur Sahib .

just ask whereever you are getting Amrit . "Kirpa karke mera punjabi naam rakhdo ji"

:)

Guest pleasehelp

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate it! I have spoken to a few more Gurdwaras and they have confirmed how hukamnama will be taken and that I need to put in my request for new name with 5 before-hand- so that's a relief!

However I'm still scared about the translation aspect. The latest sewadar I spoke to, when asked about translation, said in a hushed tone- 'oh we do that for the goras you know, line by line, us Punjabis don't need it'. When I clarified that I'm not Punjabi, he was embarrassed but had no solution apart from some kind of special 'gorafied' treatment i.e. a private sanchar really, which I don't want! Some of you have suggested that I take along someone who speaks both languages, but I don't know anyone willing to give the time. I don't need a line by line translation- I speak basic conversational Punjabi/Hindi/Urdu but when the conversation gets more complex I cannot follow everything or will miss key points. Please help, how do I proceed. AKJ is having a sanchar next weekend, they assured me that they have translation regardless because even Punjabi origin people have difficulties, but I cannot make that date.

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate it! I have spoken to a few more Gurdwaras and they have confirmed how hukamnama will be taken and that I need to put in my request for new name with 5 before-hand- so that's a relief!

However I'm still scared about the translation aspect. The latest sewadar I spoke to, when asked about translation, said in a hushed tone- 'oh we do that for the goras you know, line by line, us Punjabis don't need it'. When I clarified that I'm not Punjabi, he was embarrassed but had no solution apart from some kind of special 'gorafied' treatment i.e. a private sanchar really, which I don't want! Some of you have suggested that I take along someone who speaks both languages, but I don't know anyone willing to give the time. I don't need a line by line translation- I speak basic conversational Punjabi/Hindi/Urdu but when the conversation gets more complex I cannot follow everything or will miss key points. Please help, how do I proceed. AKJ is having a sanchar next weekend, they assured me that they have translation regardless because even Punjabi origin people have difficulties, but I cannot make that date.

But you can get Rehet Mariyaada (things Panj Peyare say in Amrit Sanchaar) in english too. And there are many many english translations on net aswell.

http://www.damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=68

Try reading this. You can jump to next page by right hand side index

Edited by GurujisDaughter

Guest Person

There is an amrit sanchaar this Sunday at Derby. I believe there is transport from Southall and there are a few people looking to "change" their name. details are available on www.akj.org

also congrats!

Guest gupt_singh

wot hapend in the end, with the bhaji, id go out my way to assist, please respond, i know how you feel, i wish to take amrit today been checking on net for guidence, not one gurdwara has listed amritsanchaar dates on their websites, my local gurdwara cancelled their amrit sanchaar as only 5 signed up, it seems u really do need maharajis kirpa to contemplate amrit, i dont have mitr dosth etc for sangat, the guru alone guides

Guest singh

Follow up: with God's grace I was blessed with Amrit. I am very grateful to Waheguru, so much love and support was offered and I didn't have to worry about anything in the end. Please everyone take amrit and realise your true destiny.

To Gupt Singh- I have had this experience before- local gurdwaras always seem to say, if we have enough people we will do amrit sanchar, but it never happens. There are many sanchars held at larger gurdwaras throughout the year, if in doubt, ask on this forum. My advice- Please don't take amrit on a whim, prepare for it by keeping rehat and spiritual practice for a good 6 months if possible and in every ardaas you do, ask God to bless you with Amrit and Har Ras- remember it is God himself who is blessing us at the end of the day- people will try and plot and plan with the mind- so and so rehit, so and so jatha, so and so sant singh in panj, but it is God who is causing amrit to be effective rather than the actions of people so have confidence and faith in Waheguru and beg for amrit at the feet of Dhan Dhan Guru Granth Sahib ji. God bless.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Amrit Sanchar on 20th April 2013 at Gurdwara Dasmesh Sahib, Leicester, at 3:00pm, One of the Panj Pyare will explain the code of conduct in English. Drop your name to bhujhang@live.com if you wish to take amrit. Congratulations on the good news.

Guest Tajinder singh

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh.sir ji we want to take amrit sanchaat(amrit chakna) all family(husband wife and two son) and we are coming on 31 march till 3rd april.can we take amrit sanchaar or which date you took anrit sanchaar