I want to cut my hair

Guest jaspal

Guest Anonymous

I feel you bro. I am a Sikh girl too. Unlike you I do believe in the Guru's teachings but I think the things like the five Ks are too superficial.. Religion is a way of life.. Beliefs.. Way of prayer.. Not whether you cut your hair or not..

Well here's the thing : your parents have done so much for your happiness. Think of all things they've done for you. Now there's only this one thing that they don't want you to do. Don't hurt them :) it won't be worth it :)

Guest CuriousMan

If you believe in Sikhi then keep your hair. If you don't believe in it then there's no point. Why be a fake.

You need to take control of your life whatever you believe in.

Just my 2 cents.....I cut my hair and it feels light up there......I was ok with turban but the black turbans were heavy and absorbed heat...other turbans attracted attention...plus I wasnt able to find a girl till last year.... now everything is ok...girl - ok ..job - ok, life is cool and I enjoy every night ...ha ha....just love it.

Mate kiton da sardaar Mooli di khet di ? avdi Guru da Bakshia taj sitt ke kud nu Nigurey bhekari saabat kita .

I can only guess what kind of girl came with that ... sorry for your loss-es

I feel you bro. I am a Sikh girl too. Unlike you I do believe in the Guru's teachings but I think the things like the five Ks are too superficial.. Religion is a way of life.. Beliefs.. Way of prayer.. Not whether you cut your hair or not..

Well here's the thing : your parents have done so much for your happiness. Think of all things they've done for you. Now there's only this one thing that they don't want you to do. Don't hurt them :) it won't be worth it :)

Bhaine ji if you did believe then you would trust that Guru knows best for your eternal happiness ...your rehit and your bana keep you to the Godward track and helps you not do as Peter did and deny he was a Christian when Christ died and what the Sikhs did when Guru Teg Bahadur ji gave his shaheedi they too denied their religious identity.

A Turban is not just a piece of cloth it is the representation of the love of Guru ji, he held us in such high esteem he placed a crown upon our heads. He trusted us to be his children and bring his house honour just as his biological sons did , to not flinch at the sword let alone harsh words or looks. It is the symbol of a revolutionary not scared of being a king amongst men despite the oppressive regime, only the mughals were allowed to ride horses, hunt, carry weapons, wear turbans...

Singhnis from Guru's time wore dastaars with pride and it was the cause of their deaths when there was a price of the head of Singhs... they still didn't chicken out and hide their Sikhi but ended up parts of pyramids of heads presented by Hindus and Muslims at that time as 'teenage boys heads'. You make a choice live fearlessly as a sovereign king or a apologetic slave of this worldy Maya.

Anyway Veer ji decision's not going to clear his problems by cutting his hair and disregarding his Guru's love , those who are picking on you today will still do it tomorrow even if you look like them, talk like them , live like them. They will still called you a Paki or Arab , still tell you to go home you will never satisfy them , why do you care so much about their opinion anyhow? Do you like them or respect them ? probably not so why make yourself alienated from your folks for those jokers.

Veerji,

My SOn went through the same stuff as you to the extent that he hated being intelligent, being different , I looked him calmly in the face and asked him would being dumb make him happy and he replied 'No but...' and I sense the same in you . I'm gonna say the same thing I said to him ' look, trying to deny your identity or your talents, is like saying you weren't meant to be, a mistake and I know you don't believe that . Waheguru (whether you believe in IT or not) created you for a perfect reason, you are meant to do something positive in this world. Stop beating yourself up for what you are, and use your energy to make this world a better place instead. Those people who give you a hard time are not your friends, friends are a rare thing they accept you as is. Have higher standards to gain a higher standard of people around you, don't sell yourself short. We all have doubts we're only human , life has its ups and downs and we need to learn to ride those waves without giving up.'

Your Mum and Dad may not know much about sikhi, but that doesn't mean you can't REALLY find out what it is about... It is not this (Sketch from show)

SON: Dad I want to know about being a sikh

DAD: What's there to know, see the man , man puts on pag.. there he's sikh !

SON : no Dad that's not what I mean...

DAD: look it's simple see me ...I'm a man , I wear the Pag I'm sikh.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm a Sikh too who wants to cut my hair because of maintaining my hair..I've kept my hair for the past 9 years and I'm 16 by the way..I don't really mind about people teasing me or the way I look but I just find it hard to comb and wash such long hair...I dont want to cut my hair because I know of its importance and I won't look like a Punjabi anymore but I still feel like cutting it too. This crossroad is really eating at me every single day.Im only keeping my hair for the sake of my parents because theyve done so much for me and I do not want to disappoint them...

I have worn a turban alll my life and have hated most of it. I find as though it gets in the way of my every day life such when playing sports it tends to fall off my head and if I do have it tight on my head I tend to feel dizzy and in unable to play team sports properly such as rugby and football which makes my teammates very pissed with me and has also led my to failing to get onto the school team. I live in community in which I have people pointing and staring at me ,and calling me names like "rag head" or sly comments like "I have your head gets better" or even when I wear my patka people on the street call me "pirate". I am suffering from depression and social anxiety in which has lead me to having no friends. I am often extremely angry with my life and often think 'why me' , why have I been made to wear a turban against my own free will, isn't it violating my human rights that I have to wear thus thing on my head to please my dads wishes and not be my self. I'm currently 15 years old and don't beleive in religon at all (I personally think that its all garbage). for these reasons I want to cut my hair I personally know that I will fit into society better with my hair cut. but don't post anything about the gurus and sikhism in response to this post because i allready know anout it all. do you really think that god woild be pissed off about me cutting my hair, do you really think that god would care about such a petty thing. the main reason why I am posting this is because I don't know how I would ask my dad for permission to cut my hair and my mum is the only sane person in my family because she is the one that will let me do it I've asked her and she said yes but I need to ask my dad if its ok for me to do so.

You are basically rebelling against your father for 'violating your human rights' and this is the bit that is a real garbage! In fact it is just laughable! You think your human rights are above vaheguru, don't you?

Firstly, thank your father for teaching you about your sikh identity. If I understand correctly the law says that every citizen should have a 'freedom to practice his/her religion' without any state sanctions. I think it can also be construed as without being bullied or dicrimination. It is not your father that has violated your human right to be youself but it is your 'mates' that are violating your very human right to practice your religion freely! They are the ones that are so jealous of your freedom to stick to your belief and identity that they will go to any lengths to destroy that and violate your 'human right to practise your religion' and let you be who you are. They feel threatened by your identity, because they lack what you have, ie confidence!

Even if you cut your hair and start looking like them they will still not accept you, they will find something else to pick on you. Are all your friends white people? If they are then it will be your color, your culture and food they will find opportuinities to pick on you, don't worry. They will not let you settle and be yourself.

If you cut your hair because of them or the sport you play or the people on the street or your employers etc then don't EVER forget that it is not your father that has violated your right to practise your religion instead it is all the aforesaid entities above and it will not stop once you have done what you intend to do with your turban and hair, full stop! Don't accuse others particularly your parents for the way you think or feel, blame those that are responsible for intilling this inferiority complex in you, in orther words lay the blame where it belongs. You owe everything including your life to your parents and nothing to these strangers or mates that you play a sport with only for a short period of time.

Keep your turban even if it 'pisses' them off. Your reason for coming into this world is not to please these shallow idiots but to please vaheguru. Friends like these are not worth it. True friends should not cost your religious beliefs and make you rebel towards against your parents or father!

What if you had mates that wanted you to steal, mug and attack others on streets? Would you join in and forget about your sikh principles just to please them? Would you blame your father for teaching you about sikhi and your sikh identity then? You really have to sort out your priorities and grow up!

Yes, you should talk to your dad how you feel. Yes, you should tell him what you intend to do. Yes, you should ask for his permission. Yes, you owe it to him and your mum. If you do it without telling them behind their backs where will you draw the line when it comes to doing other things in the future? Do you know that we are not suppose to do anything behind our parents' back, once we do one thing behind their back we get the habit of lying to them and then only vaheguru knows what happens next. One lie leads to another then another then another till our whole life becomes one big mess and then we don't know where or who to turn to. Speak the truth. Speak to your mum and dad and even your siblings but in front of each other. Even if it means being rebuked or shouted at. You have to be strong enough and big enough to face the consequences.

Don't lie to your parents, ever!

Just my 2 cents.....I cut my hair and it feels light up there......I was ok with turban but the black turbans were heavy and absorbed heat...other turbans attracted attention...plus I wasnt able to find a girl till last year.... now everything is ok...girl - ok ..job - ok, life is cool and I enjoy every night ...ha ha....just love it.

You should really read the sikh history. Perhaps you are unparr, I suggest you ask someone else to read it for you.

It is morons like you that give a bad reputation to the great sikh faith. You are going to burn in hell you know that don't you?

Are you saying that no girl would look at you with a turban? You just shock me! Perhaps it wasn't your turban that was keeping them away it was your unparrtta and paindooness. I wonder if your girl as you claim you have managed to find is as stupid and rubbish as yourself? They do say like attracts like don't they? Oh, I forgot, you are unparr so you won't really understand what that means! I hope you don't show your stupid face to me ever with or without a turban!! You come across as a shallow pathetic individual who is incapable, inconfident, insecure and insufficiently educated to stand by his sikhi asools!!!!!!!!!

People like you are the daag on our turbans!

Puchhay sannu duniya, kyon baneya tu Sardar

Baithay batheray babbay bann ke, dharm de thekkedaar akhvaunday
Palle apne kakh nai, duniya de dilaan ch bhulekhe paunday
Jad sannu lab peya Sach da raaha, ho gaye Sachay de deedaar
Fer vi puchhay sannu duniya, kyon baneya tu Sardar

Premiyaan di ikk benti te, jo puttar lei saak thhukkraa deve
Sikhaan da bachan rakhan lei, thathee thaviyaan vi apna lawey
Jaan tak den vale Guru de hundeya, mai kyon hova dooje magar khuaar
Fer vi puchhay sannu duniya, kyon baneya tu Sardar

Jindgi bachaun lei aaye si bhajjey Kashmir ton, ronday pittday taaha maarde
Bina kisi shart ton kurbaan ho gaye, seh gaye vaar Mughal talvaar de
Apneya lei nahi, doojeya vaaste ditta balidaan, kyon nah manniye aisa daataar