I want to cut my hair

Guest jaspal

I'm a Sikh too who wants to cut my hair because of maintaining my hair..I've kept my hair for the past 9 years and I'm 16 by the way..I don't really mind about people teasing me or the way I look but I just find it hard to comb and wash such long hair...I dont want to cut my hair because I know of its importance and I won't look like a Punjabi anymore but I still feel like cutting it too. This crossroad is really eating at me every single day.Im only keeping my hair for the sake of my parents because theyve done so much for me and I do not want to disappoint them...

Try keeping a large kanga with you to comb your hair my eldest son and my nephew have very heavy long hair and this has helped a lot , also look at changing your shampoo for something that deep cleans and has a matching conditioner it will help prevent your hair from getting overly dried out and hard to manage . Use Coconut or almond oil to keep them easier to comb try to get the best quality oil you can we use organic unprocessed coconut oil if you don't like the smell try Bajaj Almond drops. Try to stay away from baby oil as it is mineral oil which prevents natural function of hair (acts like an oil slick )and makes your scalp itchy and irritated if you sweat.

I wouldn't think keeping kesh makes one looks like a punjabi it might make you look like Guru Gobind SIngh Ji's son :biggrin2: which is way cooler

Try keeping a large kanga with you to comb your hair my eldest son and my nephew have very heavy long hair and this has helped a lot , also look at changing your shampoo for something that deep cleans and has a matching conditioner it will help prevent your hair from getting overly dried out and hard to manage . Use Coconut or almond oil to keep them easier to comb try to get the best quality oil you can we use organic unprocessed coconut oil if you don't like the smell try Bajaj Almond drops. Try to stay away from baby oil as it is mineral oil which prevents natural function of hair (acts like an oil slick )and makes your scalp itchy and irritated if you sweat.

I wouldn't think keeping kesh makes one looks like a punjabi it might make you look like Guru Gobind SIngh Ji's son :biggrin2: which is way cooler

why only Guru Gobind singh ji maharaj..I think sikh guy represents every sikh Guru ji's look and blessing....

• 1 year later...
Guest Gurneet Kaur

You can still be a Sikh and cut your hair. No one can tell you how to show your love for God. You can dress how you want, you can believe how you want, you can think how you want, you can do whatever the hell you want because it is your life, but I know that is easier said than done considering that you are being raised in the most conservative of households. Believe me I know. I'm 18 and I haven't had the balls to cut my hair yet, more so because I guess I'm kind of scared of being shunned by my parents, who have done so much for me and only ask for my piety in return. I'm assuming you're about 17 now so I'm not sure about your viewpoint as of now, but I'll just let you know what I think. I think you should be selfish here. Be happy. We are always growing as individuals. So grow, experience your life, maybe you'll decide to be a pious Sikh one day, maybe you'll discover a different religion that speaks more to your soul. Honestly, you have to find yourself and that means experiencing pain, happiness, and all the in between that we call life. Live and learn. Every other comment I've read under your posts are by a bunch of pretentious that have nothing better to do than call you a sinner, but how the hell do they know what God wants or what the right thing to do is. You know what I'm saying? I think a lot of what you are saying are weak excuses for wanting to cut your hair. If you're anything like me, I really just think that you want to cut your hair because you want to be yourself by physically expressing your personality. There's nothing wrong with that. Be careful how you word your opinions though because the last thing you want to do is offend people who find pride in their hair, which they are not wrong to, but everyone is different. Overall, just DO YOU MAN!

• 1 year later...
Guest Truthseeker

What does it mean to be a Sikh seems to be the question (this question it self can be a separate topic) but from reading the mass responses across many sites seems to be a consistent answer depending how you look at it.

1 Some say you can CUT your hair and still be a Sikh – Sikh is how you practice in your heart, mind, etc.

2 The other side will say “You are not a Sikh because you CUT your hair and don’t follow the rules”. 

From my personal research and journey, I see this is what the conflict is.  You have the Original Sikhs (from Guru Nanak’s teaching) vs Khalsa Sikhs (from Guru Gobind’s teaching).  Now Guru Nanak might have instructed Bhai Madana to not cut his hair, but don’ t think he enforced the rules to the people.  Guru Gobind made it official, and don’t believe any Guru’s prior him enforced it either.

So that being said, people are gonna choose their own paths and have their own reasons for being how they are.  But what I find saddening, is how the hardcore Khalsas always never really have an answer for those who question about cutting hair, or why Sikhism is how it is.  You repeat the same lines many have said numerous times

• Guru Gobind sacrificed his son’s for us
    • Christians say God sacrificed his son Jesus (is that true, is Christianity true)
    • In every religion there’s been some form of sacrifice
  • God wants us to be a true natural form
    • Did God say this, or was it a Guru who said this. 
    • How did the Guru know this, did God speak to him personally
    • If God delivered this message to the Gurus, then why didn’t the rest of the world get this message? Are they all wrong, and the Sikhs

Some of the answers share real life experiences, and not just lines from Guru Granth Sahib.  Yes I agree with some of your responses that you shouldn’t change or leave your religion just because others make fun.  You can leave your faith, and they’ll make fun of something else.  So would you change again.  If you don’t want to be a Sikh, I think it should be because you don’t believe what Khalsa says, and you have your own thoughts and beliefs.  Just because you are born into a Sikh/Punjabi family should not automatically be forced upon one self to be a Sikh.  Everyone should have their own choice.  Its funny how when people of other color (whites, blacks, etc.) want to become Sikh’s, we open our arms.  But if one born into a Sikh Family chooses not to be a Sikh, they kick him/her out of the house, condemn them, get mad at them, etc.  Lets be honest, parents who’s kids cut their hair, are not mad they don’t follow the religion, most of it is out of embarrassment.  What will the Gurudwara Sangath think of their family “Oh look Mr so and so Singh’s son cut his hair, he must be a bad father, he doesn’t teach them properly”.  We need to get over it.  If someone doesn’t like being a Sikh, or has their own belief of a Sikh, just let them be.  You want to keep your hair and follow the “rules” then be so.  If you believe that cutting your hair is wrong and sinful, then teach the rest of the world.  Don’t just keep it for brown people born from Punjab. 

10 minutes ago, Guest Truthseeker said:

What does it mean to be a Sikh seems to be the question (this question it self can be a separate topic) but from reading the mass responses across many sites seems to be a consistent answer depending how you look at it.

1 Some say you can CUT your hair and still be a Sikh – Sikh is how you practice in your heart, mind, etc.

2 The other side will say “You are not a Sikh because you CUT your hair and don’t follow the rules”. 

From my personal research and journey, I see this is what the conflict is.  You have the Original Sikhs (from Guru Nanak’s teaching) vs Khalsa Sikhs (from Guru Gobind’s teaching).  Now Guru Nanak might have instructed Bhai Madana to not cut his hair, but don’ t think he enforced the rules to the people.  Guru Gobind made it official, and don’t believe any Guru’s prior him enforced it either.

So that being said, people are gonna choose their own paths and have their own reasons for being how they are.  But what I find saddening, is how the hardcore Khalsas always never really have an answer for those who question about cutting hair, or why Sikhism is how it is.  You repeat the same lines many have said numerous times

• Guru Gobind sacrificed his son’s for us
    • Christians say God sacrificed his son Jesus (is that true, is Christianity true)
    • In every religion there’s been some form of sacrifice
  • God wants us to be a true natural form
    • Did God say this, or was it a Guru who said this. 
    • How did the Guru know this, did God speak to him personally
    • If God delivered this message to the Gurus, then why didn’t the rest of the world get this message? Are they all wrong, and the Sikhs

Some of the answers share real life experiences, and not just lines from Guru Granth Sahib.  Yes I agree with some of your responses that you shouldn’t change or leave your religion just because others make fun.  You can leave your faith, and they’ll make fun of something else.  So would you change again.  If you don’t want to be a Sikh, I think it should be because you don’t believe what Khalsa says, and you have your own thoughts and beliefs.  Just because you are born into a Sikh/Punjabi family should not automatically be forced upon one self to be a Sikh.  Everyone should have their own choice.  Its funny how when people of other color (whites, blacks, etc.) want to become Sikh’s, we open our arms.  But if one born into a Sikh Family chooses not to be a Sikh, they kick him/her out of the house, condemn them, get mad at them, etc.  Lets be honest, parents who’s kids cut their hair, are not mad they don’t follow the religion, most of it is out of embarrassment.  What will the Gurudwara Sangath think of their family “Oh look Mr so and so Singh’s son cut his hair, he must be a bad father, he doesn’t teach them properly”.  We need to get over it.  If someone doesn’t like being a Sikh, or has their own belief of a Sikh, just let them be.  You want to keep your hair and follow the “rules” then be so.  If you believe that cutting your hair is wrong and sinful, then teach the rest of the world.  Don’t just keep it for brown people born from Punjab. 

No one should be forced to keep their kesh ONCE they are an ADULT. It would be an ideal scenario for parents if they did, providing they are not hypocrites. Amritdhari Sikhs should not be looking down upon Monay veers, just because they cut their kesh. Many a time monay have more shardha and perform tons of seva at Gurdwarey and even during the Azaadi movement in the 90s, numerous became Shaheed.

• 4 months later...
Guest Pottiland9

Same here but I don't wanna disrespectful to the religion

Like I like how it works , how we give back and everything

But I do wanna cut my hair I just don't know how to ask my dad 

Did you so it 

Did it go?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
On 6/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, Guest Pottiland9 said:

Same here but I don't wanna disrespectful to the religion

Like I like how it works , how we give back and everything

But I do wanna cut my hair I just don't know how to ask my dad 

Did you so it 

Did it go?

Does cutting your hair make you a bad person?

No it doesn't

11 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Does cutting your hair make you a bad person?

No it doesn't

It makes you a bad person in the eyes of our guru jees. Rest of the world might be cool or chill. We need to decide to whom we should please - majority of world or guru sahib ji.