Struggling with makeup/ jewellery

Guest wanderingsoul

Listen to what your inner voice says.

Try to stay away from make up...very bad for your skin.

About jewellery... if the voice in your head says that you can show off your money by wearing expensive jewellery...or anything indicating 'kaam'... refrain yourself. Be honest to yourself. But if it's only meant to be for accessorising etc. go for it.

Don't make it so hard for yourselves that you might start hating rehat.

Remember, it's only a phase...and after a while you might simply get over it when you've had enough! :)

Not sure why this post is so popular our guru adorned his dastaar and his horse and the clothes he wore with gold and diamonds, was he showing off or indicating "kaam"

be yourself stop shackling yourself to "rehat" if you stick to rehat but your hearts not in it then its just become ritualistic b/s, everyones rehat is different in life some people think you can do some things and not others find your own way in life!

Whats the big deal about suppresing your feelings and want to wear jewellry or makeup? There is hardly any restriction on them. The fanatics are all about suppreseing it and doing so will hurt you mentally and believe me only those who have "let go" on the inside are true to the Guru not those who are suppresing it to just show that they are not wearing it. Sikhi is not about that, it is about the desire to do so - if the desire is there then whether you mentally or physically do something it doesn't matter as you have done either way.

Guru Gobind Singh was a King - and he wore jewelry as Kingship, not as a show off to others - but he had no desire to do so either way. It's just pieces of metal, no big deal - the problem is the status you have given to it.

Go to the deeper issue's, why do you want to wear it? For what reason? Do you feel in-adequate?

Those who have seeked deeper in themselves will naturally let go of these things....maybe the issue is that you have not gone deep enough?

Don't be so fanatical....you will end up putting the cart before the horse and will always end up in these dilema's....you must let go through service and meditation......it won't come by force you will only hurt yourself....best of luck

Guest Three

Whats the big deal about suppresing your feelings and want to wear jewellry or makeup? There is hardly any restriction on them. The fanatics are all about suppreseing it and doing so will hurt you mentally and believe me only those who have "let go" on the inside are true to the Guru not those who are suppresing it to just show that they are not wearing it. Sikhi is not about that, it is about the desire to do so - if the desire is there then whether you mentally or physically do something it doesn't matter as you have done either way.

Guru Gobind Singh was a King - and he wore jewelry as Kingship, not as a show off to others - but he had no desire to do so either way. It's just pieces of metal, no big deal - the problem is the status you have given to it.

Go to the deeper issue's, why do you want to wear it? For what reason? Do you feel in-adequate?

Those who have seeked deeper in themselves will naturally let go of these things....maybe the issue is that you have not gone deep enough?

Don't be so fanatical....you will end up putting the cart before the horse and will always end up in these dilema's....you must let go through service and meditation......it won't come by force you will only hurt yourself....best of luck

If following the hukam of my Panj Pyaareh (who are Guru roop btw) makes me a fanatic then I hope to be the biggest fanatic that ever lived.

• 6 years later...
Guest Anonymous

Mahraaj kirpa bhenji, it's all just a test. 

I agree with what's been said before - make up and jewelry are worldly things and will always reduce to dust. I used to love wearing nail polish but I don't anymore.

Try and concentrate on your naam and focus on what's most important in your Gursikhs Jeevan, away from everyone else, especially that group. 

Obviously, once you get strength from Mahraaj, the answer should be obvious.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2013 at 1:17 PM, samosasingh said:

You've noted the answer right there, but have failed to understand it. For Guru Sahib, gold is the same as dirt. He was the same sitting on the throne and using a rock for a pillow in the Machiwara Jungle. Are you? Or me? 

No. The reason is we're prone to fall into wanting to impress the world by wearing gold, makeup, and such. So people starting on the path of spirituality are told to avoid that.

If you don't want to go on the path of spirituality, what's the problem? Keep on doing what you're doing.