Keshadhari police officer filmed punching detained cyclist in the head

N30S1NGH

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/27/bc-vancouver-police-arrest-video.html

Police in Vancouver are investigating one of their own after a video was posted to Facebook that appears to show a plainclothes officer punching a cyclist in the head during an arrest Tuesday night.

Vancouver police spokesperson Sgt. Randy Fincham says the cyclist was "allegedly confrontational with police" after being stopped at Robson and Beatty streets for apparently running a red light.

Cyclist Andishae Akhavan insists he was not resisting arrest, and says there was no reason for the officer to punch him in the face.

Akhavan says he was riding his bike without a helmet through Yaletown at around 10:45 p.m. PT when two officers stopped him to ask about having run a few red lights.

Akhavan got off his bike and says he started questioning the officers as one began writing him a ticket.

"At that point they decided to put cuffs on me," he said. "I was just speaking to them. I didn't raise my voice or anything, and they started putting the cuffs on me."

He says that's when the video, which shows Akhavan standing at the side of the road being restrained by two plainclothes officers, starts.

"What is this for?" he asks.

hi-bc-130327-vancouver-police-punch-videA still from a video posted to Facebook shows a plainclothes Vancouver police officer with a fist raised, moments before it appears he punches a detained cyclist in the face. (Courtesy Mike Schwarz)

Akhavan's left arm moves as he turns his body to speak to one of the officers again.

"Relax," the officer orders.

Then Akhavan appears to get punched in the jaw.

"Relax your arm," the officer then says.

mi-bc-130327-vancouver-police-punch-videA still from a video posted to Facebook shows a plainclothes Vancouver police officer with a fist apparently making contact with the jaw of a detained cyclist. (Courtesy Mike Schwarz)

The incident was filmed by Akhavan's friend, Mike Schwarz, who says he happened to see his friend surrounded by the officers as he drove by, so he got out and started filming.

Schwarz says Akhavan did nothing before the camera started recording video to provoke such a reaction.

Schwarz told the officers the incident would go on TV. He posted it to Facebook, and in just a few hours the video received thousands of comments and shares.

Fincham said Akhavan was treated at the scene by Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services for a cut lip.

Akhavan was released but could still face charges, he said.

Fincham said the incident was reported by the officer to his supervisor shortly afterwards.

"The incident has also been reported to the Professional Standards Section of the Vancouver Police Department, who will in turn notify the Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner," Fincham said in a written statement.

The officer alleged to have punched Akhavan is currently on weekly leave, Fincham said.

I was reading the facebook comments and I read this comment:

Women and kids get raped Where the Punjab cop comes from and nothing gets done about it so wut u think is gonna happen here,cops are just p****** wit a bit of backup from the government but once u put a barrel to a defenseless cop u should see how quick his fetal position is quick to appear.

In this particular case, the guy broke a traffic law but with that being said- he does not deserved to be punched on a face ...there are other ways such as warning would have been sufficient or worst comes to worst- punch on shoulder joint to take control of the situation would have been appropriate as well..while the guy who broke the traffic law was not cooperating or trying to be smart arse, cop definitely went over board punching him on the face- that was totally uncalled for, cyclist just barely moved his arm in natural arm bend resistance ..cop jumped on him too quickly..in my opinion, power trip got to the cop instead of following proper law and enforcement ethical code and also sikh ideals as he is following outer sikh identity -kara, dhari, kesh etc.

lived in vancouver for 6 months, had perm residency, wouldnt live there if you paid me , apne are downgrading the place like how the jamaicans did to parts of the uk during the 80s, some may remember the handsworth riots etc.

This will probably give Indians the chance to harp on about "evil Sikh brothers."

Don't think even someone with a sub-par IQ would do that bro.

@Agreed with N30, he was definitely wrong, but it may have been prevented if the guy being arrested wasn't a smart allec.