Amritdhari Masturbation

Guest Sikhman

I have had a similar discussion with a few people before from a range of religious backgrounds including a doctor.... and I am still unsure, it is normal for your average regular guy to have lustful thoughts, from a Sikhi perspective it is important to have control over your vices such as Kaam but it exists and you need it to a certain extent to procreate right!?

BUT it is equally unhealthy to subdue sexual energy which is something Catholics do and look at what their priests are known to do!?!

In addition, Sikhs especially in some Jathay think of sexual energy as something absolutely disgusting and something that should be shunned at all costs except for procreation... and yet these Jathay who suppress such thoughts are the ones that are hit with the most scandals... Sexual repression never works... and if you ask a young guy to repress their thoughts and not give them a safe outlet... this is not good! Which is a reason why in bible belt areas in America and Amish people get married at 16+ ...

I think British protestant views towards masturbation and all things sexual have influenced the prevalent suppression of anything sexual hence the staunch objection to such matters in the Dasam Granth?!

And so is masturbation as a kaami outlet wrong? Yes. But is shouting in anger as a khroodi outlet wrong? Yes. Is bragging about your new car or job as a hankaari outlet wrong? Yes.... These are vices, we accept them and fight them everyday and reduce their outlet?!

Most health professionals see masturbation as a healthy practice in moderation. It is known to boost immune system, reduce stress and fight depression. It is known to reduce your sexual libido-desire and thus helps to fight kaam in your day to day life! surely thats a good thing?!

Just my thoughts...

Where did I say that masturbation is ok? I just asked why it requires peshi. Let me ask you a question. If you check out a girl, and think a lustful thought, would you pesh? If you lie to someone, would you pesh? If you hurt someone's feeling, would you pesh? If you get angry and hit someone, would you pesh? Where do you draw the line?

Doing and thinking are two different things, thinking about say killing someone and actually killing them are not the same, lustful thought,are hard to stop, but the idea is to first of all move your eyes away, then pull yourself together, there are not many people who can control there thoughts (Brahmgianis), its how you respond/act both physically and mentally when a thought takes place is what matters. Masturbation is physically reacting to a thought (lust), now is it wrong, like i have said many times but you don't seem to understand is

(a) it more than just a thought it is an action, (b) to find out if that person's amrit is broken or not they will have to do pesh, because we the sangat do not have the authority to answer this question. As for doing pesh for thought's or hurting someones feeling is up to the individual if they are asking is my amrit broken then they must be having doubts and the only way to stop doubts is to do pesh and Ardas. If your are not saying masturbation is ok then you must be saying it is not ok.

which it is not both to a person's physical and mental well being, it just fuels lust more and more, get married, I'm not judging anyone .

Where did I say that masturbation is ok? I just asked why it requires peshi. Let me ask you a question. If you check out a girl, and think a lustful thought, would you pesh? If you lie to someone, would you pesh? If you hurt someone's feeling, would you pesh? If you get angry and hit someone, would you pesh? Where do you draw the line?

Right on Bro !

I have had a similar discussion with a few people before from a range of religious backgrounds including a doctor.... and I am still unsure, it is normal for your average regular guy to have lustful thoughts, from a Sikhi perspective it is important to have control over your vices such as Kaam but it exists and you need it to a certain extent to procreate right!?

BUT it is equally unhealthy to subdue sexual energy which is something Catholics do and look at what their priests are known to do!?!

In addition, Sikhs especially in some Jathay think of sexual energy as something absolutely disgusting and something that should be shunned at all costs except for procreation... and yet these Jathay who suppress such thoughts are the ones that are hit with the most scandals... Sexual repression never works... and if you ask a young guy to repress their thoughts and not give them a safe outlet... this is not good! Which is a reason why in bible belt areas in America and Amish people get married at 16+ ...

I think British protestant views towards masturbation and all things sexual have influenced the prevalent suppression of anything sexual hence the staunch objection to such matters in the Dasam Granth?!

And so is masturbation as a kaami outlet wrong? Yes. But is shouting in anger as a khroodi outlet wrong? Yes. Is bragging about your new car or job as a hankaari outlet wrong? Yes.... These are vices, we accept them and fight them everyday and reduce their outlet?!

Most health professionals see masturbation as a healthy practice in moderation. It is known to boost immune system, reduce stress and fight depression. It is known to reduce your sexual libido-desire and thus helps to fight kaam in your day to day life! surely thats a good thing?!

Just my thoughts...

Brilliant Post!

You most likely don't need to pesh, but understand that you are heading down a self destructing path. Find the root cause that made you commit the act and in the future avoid those places or watching certain things. Its very important you increase your nitnem so you don't run into the same problem again. This act is not healthy at all. Many professionals say that drinking caffeine drinks are healthy, but those that have dropped these drinks altogether are healthier and our brains are not drawn down by the urge of having a caffeine drink (are not controlled by the drink). Many professionals say that drinking some wine a day is healthy, but again this information is wrong according to Sikhi. Your mind urged you to commit the act because different areas in your environment sub-consciously activated the dopamine in your brain. Before taking amrit you had stimulants in your life that activated the dopamine rapidly in your brain and it made you act out in this way. Unfortunately these stimulants are still with you in moderation and they slowly build up and cause you to commit the act.

Many times if you enter into a place where you have committed the same act over a period of time, your brain will recognize this area and start to release dopamine, which will cause you to have sensual thoughts. People that go clubbing, bars, flirt, or watch or talk about these sensual places will be trapped into committing this act over and over again.

You need to feed your brain with a replacement stimulant that is much stronger than these weak stimulants that don't do you any good. Best stimulant would be memorize a shabad that you can repeat throughout the day and/or when you feel sensual thoughts coming forward. The idea is not to suppress the thoughts, but to replace them with a higher yearning of Akal Purakh. Caffeine drinkers always complain how hard it is to get rid of the habit of drinking caffeine throughout the day and especially during their regular times. I faced withdrawals as a normal person who is trying to quit alcohol. The constant headaches, the joint pains, being tired all day, but listening to Sukhmani Sahib helped me kick the habit in a day or two. I felt very mild withdrawals on the third day and kept on focusing on Akal Purakh through listening and reading path.

• 2 years later...

Just my thoughts...

Im a bit late on saying this, like 2 years lol but just saw this and felt the need to reply. Sexual desire is wrong, it says it over and over again in gurbani. But of course its natural, hence marriage where a gursikh can have a grist jeevan with their wife or husband. Forget what the doctors say, listen to what the gurus say.

Kaam Krodh Ar Lobh Moh Binas Jaahi Aha(n)mev