Burma: Muslims massacred

VanHelsingh

I remember the warrior-king Asoka was Buddhist wasn't he? I'm sure he never defeated his opponents by brow-beating them with teachings of Buddha, lol? Easy to forget I suppose, as Chatanga Ji says, when you've got the West's perception of Buddhism as this all-peaceful, non-violent faith.

Nevertheless, as a human being, when one is confronted with images of people being hacked to death and burnt alive the immediate assumption isn't of "They probably did something to deserve this fate". The overriding feeling, I hope, is of sadness and a desire for such barbarism to stop, whatever the causes and whoever instigated such conflict.

I remember the warrior-king Asoka was Buddhist wasn't he? I'm sure he never defeated his opponents by brow-beating them with teachings of Buddha, lol? Easy to forget I suppose, as Chatanga Ji says, when you've got the West's perception of Buddhism as this all-peaceful, non-violent faith.

Nevertheless, as a human being, when one is confronted with images of people being hacked to death and burnt alive the immediate assumption isn't of "They probably did something to deserve this fate". The overriding feeling, I hope, is of sadness and a desire for such barbarism to stop, whatever the causes and whoever instigated such conflict.

veer Asoka became a budhist after he felt guilty of killing people in the battle field. When he became a budhist he threw his sword in the river Ganga near Patna city.