ardaas

rrss

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I have learnt the ardaas ritual by observing sangat in the gurdwara- when to kneel, when to rise etc.

Outside of the gurdwara, I do a personal and long ardaas (conversation with God) without the standard structure present in gutka sahibs. However now I am learning the ardaas, for the sake of community harmony and in case my services ever are called upon, I need to be able to perform the ritual correctly, but I don't know what is actually happening during ardaas. Please help me understand.

Questions:

- What is the reason for standing and folding hands?

- After 'sarbat da bhala', who are we kneeling to? Since I have only been part of ardaas at the gurdwara- I have assumed this is matha tek to Guru sahib who is present, is this correct? Or is it like muslims bowing to God during their prayer ritual? When ardaas is performed outside the gurdwara and whenever Guru sahib is not present, does one still do matha thek to the floor?

- Why do we kneel and stand up twice (before and after Fateh)?

- When is 'Sab sikhan ko hukam hain..' to be said? I cannot find this hymn in my gutka sahib.

- Or if you have time, please could you describe the full ritual in detail with spiritual explanations to each action.

Much appreciated.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

- What is the reason for standing and folding hands?

You are standing before a king and asking him things. When you go into a king's court and want to say something you stand up. The folded hands is a a sign of humility.

- After 'sarbat da bhala', who are we kneeling to? Since I have only been part of ardaas at the gurdwara- I have assumed this is matha tek to Guru sahib who is present, is this correct? Or is it like muslims bowing to God during their prayer ritual? When ardaas is performed outside the gurdwara and whenever Guru sahib is not present, does one still do matha thek to the floor?

In a gurdwara you kneel towards Guru Granth Sahib. But when they aren't present matha tek towards a gutka or where ever, God is everywhere/

- Why do we kneel and stand up twice (before and after Fateh)?

I assume that is towards the end. Lots of people don't stand up after the fateh, but I guess they stand up again bcause the ardas isn't finished yet.

- When is 'Sab sikhan ko hukam hain..' to be said? I cannot find this hymn in my gutka sahib.

Some gutkas don't contain this. Try learing all of the "Dohra" bit yourself.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Thanks for replying, please don't mind follow up questions, I'm trying to understand.

You are standing before a king and asking him things. When you go into a king's court and want to say something you stand up. The folded hands is a a sign of humility.

I understand humility of folded hands, but what is the spiritual significance of standing up ritual? Also, when in human form, did guru sahib also stand during ardaas or did they remain seated.

In a gurdwara you kneel towards Guru Granth Sahib. But when they aren't present matha tek towards a gutka or where ever, God is everywhere/

I still don't understand, So are we kneeling to Guru sahib as he is present or to Nirgun God who is omnipresent? The ritual has to be fixed- it can't be matha thek when Guru ji is present and to God when he is not present. One does not kneel to God physically in Sikhi- one kneels with utter humility to God 24/7 inside the heart and mind and especially since God is omnipresent, kneeling physically means that God is only worth kneeling to at that point/God is in the direction in which you bowed your head (like the muslims believe in their prayer ritual). I have observed that sikhs do not necessarily do matha thek after ardaas outside a gurdwara (but some may touch the floor with their hand). So what is the rehat maryada on this, and if one is to matha thek when Guru sahib is not present, what are we bowing to and what is the spiritual significance of it? I also would not personally matha thek to a gutka sahib; it may contain bani but it is not Guru sahib.

I assume that is towards the end. Lots of people don't stand up after the fateh, but I guess they stand up again bcause the ardas isn't finished yet.

Yes, I mean towards the end, after sarbat da bhala, and again after fateh, when 'Sab sikhan ko hukam hain..' and/or 'Jo bolo so nihal...sat siri akal' is to be followed. Why not just bow once? What is the significance of doing it twice? That leads on to the question- when is 'Sab sikhan ko hukam hain..' to be said? I have only heard it being said after one ardas during sunday service after main service ends, in my local gurdwara.

Some gutkas don't contain this. Try learing all of the "Dohra" bit yourself.

Is the dohra not included because it's not part of a granth, but rather noted down by eyewitnesses in their rehitnamas?

Thanks for replying, please don't mind follow up questions, I'm trying to understand.

I understand humility of folded hands, but what is the spiritual significance of standing up ritual? Also, when in human form, did guru sahib also stand during ardaas or did they remain seated.

Well if you look at the cultural aspect of this, people stand up in a form of humility in India. Like when a guest comes home you don't just sit there on the couch as they walk in, you obviously get up as a form of humility. My parents have always taught me to stand up when someone elder is talking to you. In the same way, we stand up in ardas as a form of respect and humility in my opinion.