Was Sikh reference library looted and burned in 1984 due to indira's letter to sant bhindranwale?

genie

I was reading an article somewhere some months ago I dont know where it is now but there the journalist had suggested a letter was sent to indira gandhi to sant bhindranwale and the indian army and raw agents went into the sikh reference library to find it. They found alot of documents such as khalistani stamps, passports, documents and historical letters, etc but they found not find that important letter that indira had wanted found. Maybe this is why in frustration they burned the library down.

I was wondering what was contained in that letter if anyone knows? And why was Indira so specific t to be found.

Nope thats a standard one theres pretty much common to find.

This is what im refering to:

"Ranjit Singh Nanda, a former CBI inspector, was part of the five-member team that scrutinised the literature taken from Sikh reference library following Operation Blue Star. He has spilled the beans recently. Nanda said that the CBI had taken the material of the Sikh reference library to its make-shift office at Amritsars Youth Club where the officials of his department were desperately looking for a purported letter written by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister, to Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale. This purported letter was never found. However, Nanda said that he himself had seen some letters written by Jagjit Singh Chauhan and other leaders addressed to Sant Bhindranwale.

Manjit Singh Calcutta, a former SGPC secretary, while corroborating the statement of Nanda, alleged that the Army had set the Sikh Reference Library on fire in desperation when it failed to find the letter.

Even as CBI officials denied that such material was still in the agencys possession, Nanda said that the material of Sikh Reference Library was packed in gunny bags and trunks, after proper cataloguing, before taking them from the youth hostel to an unknown place. These disclosures have substantiated the claims of SGPC that books and manuscripts taken from the Sikh Reference Library were still lying with the CBI."

Wasnt jagjit Singh chauhans close contact didar Singh bains?

Is there any reason to believe any of these two were govnt agents? Heard this unconfirmed rumor here on SS by a few members.

Talking of didar singh bains what is he up to these days?

I dont think jagjit singh chauhan and didar singh bains were govt agents (I could be wrong) I believe they were opportunists who were more interested in political aspiration of Sikhs than religious affairs whereas Sant bhindranwale was more concerned about religious affairs than politics it was chauhans group / dal khalsa that spearheaded and got sant bhindranwale associated with the political affairs in terms of azaadi when Sikhs were getting murdered by police and army in protests against beadhi. Otherwise sant bhindranwale didnt really care for azaadi much until he saw there was no justice and equality for Sikhs in hindustan....primely he was more about getting the people to give up drinking, smokiing, drugs, stop cutting hairs and become khalsa's.

Talking of didar singh bains what is he up to these days?

I dont think jagjit singh chauhan and didar singh bains were govt agents (I could be wrong) I believe they were opportunists who were more interested in political aspiration of Sikhs than religious affairs whereas Sant bhindranwale was more concerned about religious affairs than politics it was chauhans group / dal khalsa that spearheaded and got sant bhindranwale associated with the political affairs in terms of azaadi when Sikhs were getting murdered by police and army in protests against beadhi. Otherwise sant bhindranwale didnt really care for azaadi much until he saw there was no justice and equality for Sikhs in hindustan....primely he was more about getting the people to give up drinking, smokiing, drugs, stop cutting hairs and become khalsa's.

Agreed with your analysis completely. That is the basics of where everyone stood. They were I think more interested in getting seats and power.

So true that our society is full of opportunists, u really can't name any old folks who got real passion for our cause.

Sikhs for justice on one hand is the only entity who is doing something that no other was able to do so..

btw, army did manage to return most of the stuff and ppl like manjit singh calcutta signed documents where it clearly shows that they got documented items back from army. However, most of the priceless stuff got stolen before it reach darbar sahib. Handover was not done in darbar sahib due to time situation. i know one person name from a good source that he got ahold of historic manuscript.

SGPC filed fresh legal case few years ago (2 or 3) against army for not returning items. There was huge news going in and around but little these sgpc thieves know that army ppl are basically well organized in keeping records. They showed signatured documents to court that these ppl took back most of the stuff. SGPC embarrassingly took the case back and hushed the news with help of local/state government.

So true that our society is full of opportunists, u really can't name any old folks who got real passion for our cause.

Sikhs for justice on one hand is the only entity who is doing something that no other was able to do so..

btw, army did manage to return most of the stuff and ppl like manjit singh calcutta signed documents where it clearly shows that they got documented items back from army. However, most of the priceless stuff got stolen before it reach darbar sahib. Handover was not done in darbar sahib due to time situation. i know one person name from a good source that he got ahold of historic manuscript.

SGPC filed fresh legal case few years ago (2 or 3) against army for not returning items. There was huge news going in and around but little these sgpc thieves know that army ppl are basically well organized in keeping records. They showed signatured documents to court that these ppl took back most of the stuff. SGPC embarrassingly took the case back and hushed the news with help of local/state government.

Any way to obtain this list?

Maybe it's not available, but to make it available or get access to it what do you think we would have to do?