How important is learning science/promoting science?

How important is science to you?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How important is science to you?

• Very important.
    • I have nothing against science
    • Only interested to use it to get a career.
    • I don't care at all for science.
  2. 2. Your view on science and Sikhi?

• Sikhi and science do not contradict at all. Science is simply a manifestation of Vaheguru's physical/visual/superficial laws and science only contradicts God/Allah/Ram/Vaheguru when you look at Vaheguru through western Abrahamic faith lens.
    • Evolution contradicts with Sikhi, but I do not reject science as a whole.
    • I believe science to be a good thing, but I don't agree with a lot of it and it hinders my faith in Vaheguru.
    • Science is complete rubbish and can never mix with Sikh belief system.
  3. 3. Should Sikhs publicly promote science and research within the Panth?

• Yes, science empowers an individual. If Sikhs are focused on such fields it will help us empower ourselves to help others.
    • I am not sure whether we should promote science in the Sikh panth. Sikhi talks about meeting Vaheguru and the pursuit of knowledge may distract some individuals from the essence of Sikhi - "Jin Prem Kiyo Tin Hi Prabh Payo".
    • We shouldn't decide what is more important, who is to say science should be promoted by Sikhi? Where in history is science promoted in the Sikh panth?
    • No science should not be promoted at all. Science only can condone atheism and hurt a GurSikh's jeevan.

A good topic !!

I am a firm believer of some of the scientific quotes in gurbani about other planets and galaxies..etc.. which have been proven with time.

Then we also have the issues of ''consciousness' which quantum physics is now explaining what the whole universe is made of !!

They are also on to the ideas about the maya illusion which creates the duality with this Consciousness.

So, with just these few points above, I think it's unwise to run away and deny science altogether. I believe as a Sikh we can find comfortable ways of overlapping them.

Just the simple air, water , fire and akash in gurbani is quite scientific in terms of physics and matter of creation.

However, I don't quite get the evolution and ape thing as such, even though I understand it but I would rather follow and believe the Adam n Eve as in Bible.

I just get the impression that the world was created either before or after many other worlds and planets and then the Lord put the 1st human here !!

I may go off topic here, but I do have ' my own' theories of Adam and the garden.. For example, I believe that the bible has mistranslated the 'serpent' or snake story in relation to Adam. I think that the serpent was in fact the same depicted Kundalini' we get in relation to Maya-illusion.

You see, The "kundalini' is the KNOT that ties the soul to the Maya Illusion and when one can awaken or undo this knot, then they get detached as such from the illusion.

I believe that this serpent or kundalini is what had risen to create the knot with man and creation. Since after God created his creation, he realized that man was in duality with the Illusion and God himself.

-I won't go on too much about this, but if you do some background reading you may follow what I'm getting at !!

Anyhow, the other thing is that I am also a believer that some very famous scientists like Einstein and Newton were quite enlightened. They were firm believers in a God creator and were looking for answers that made some sense !

Sikhs were massively into science before the British took over Punjab. Many households had books on various subjects and the research was well funded and many rich Punjabis spent a lot of money on gathering knowledge. A while ago I came across drawings showing Sikhs from Maharaja Ranjit's era that had various chemical and astronomical equipment, if I find them I will post them.

Great replies guys. HSD2 great point, Punjab used to be one of the most educated (if not most educated) prior to British raaj under the Sikh Raaj.

A philosophical question, isn't it the responsibility to protect people persecuted by religious fanatics even if they are atheists? For example people exercising free speech and logic in middle eastern countries, isn't it the duty of the Khalsa to even protect atheists because we don't discriminate at all and see Vaheguru in all.

I feel almost bad for having to ask/point this out, but it seems like we haven't even had such a discussion as this before in the panth. (maybe not recently)

Also, unrelated shabad:

post-24423-0-41385800-1367706389_thumb.j

Science is incredibly important. I love Science (and History). Look at all the good things we've done with science. Eradicated some diseases, reduced the number of babies dying. Sent men to the moon, man made objects are going to leave our solar system.

A philosophical question, isn't it the responsibility to protect people persecuted by religious fanatics even if they are atheists? For example people exercising free speech and logic in middle eastern countries, isn't it the duty of the Khalsa to even protect atheists because we don't discriminate at all and see Vaheguru in all.

Regardless of whether you believe in waheguru, you are still a human being, and you deserve to be protected. Aren't we failing in our duty then. It doesn't say "protect the weak and oppressed, but if they are athiests let them be killed".

To know GOD you have to go beyond mind. Science is a product of mind. It is responsible to keep the illusion going. Naam Simran is the tool to go beyond mind. You cannot solve GOD is or not with science because all data collected is subjective(based on people minds). So all data collected is illusion and GOD is beyond that.

Science is based on logical evidences and proofs, whereas "Sikhi" is above all of this. Science has limitations whereas in Sikhi, anything is possible by Guru ji's blessings .

I agree, it's based on the physical laws of the Universe - those dictated by our five senses.

Wouldn't it be safe to say that science is good just to see the very superficial though and hence science isn't incorrect (including evolution) and can't contradict Sikhi.

There is no way to prove reincarnation, but these cases seem more than just mere coincidences and using the scientific Dr. Ian Stephenson tried to isolate the cause and presented his own explanation - reincarnation.