An Atheist Muslim's Perspective on the 'Root Causes' of Islamist Jihadism and the Politics of Islamophobia

Singh559

What I've noticed on sites like Tumblr in the aftermath of the Boston bombings is posts from otherwise very bright, well-educated social-justice bloggers (from an Islamic background) seem to do the exact same thing as described in the article above, i.e. any criticism of the bombings and wider related issues is immediately shouted down to be a bigotted attack on Muslims. This ultra-defensive attitude is understandable in many ways because most of the commentary on such issues contains overt (as well as covert) bigotry from white bloggers who assume their position is the correct one, but it still doesn't answer any of the genuine problems that Islamic bloggers seem completely reluctant to address because doing so would strike at the heart of what it is to be Muslim.

Summed up really well, completely agreed. Twitter, facebook and tumblr (although I stopped using tumblr a year or so ago) does this a lot. It's a new evolved version of liberalism that turns a blind eye to critique and criticism. In many cases they are justified to play the islamophobia card in their "own eyes" because it's a lesser evil than to allow someone to have an ulterior motive (A white person hating on Islam and claiming superiority of beliefs ect), but it's not justified in a sense that it stops any real discussion and avoids the heart of the issue - the heart of Islam and the doctrine.

What I'm saying is we can't become too hippy pansy and blindly accept something in the guise of political correctness. I have a big ole' cluster of ideas in my head, but I'm not a great writer. On the side I'm thinking about taking some non-major requirement writing classes as I do believe in this day in age writing is a really powerful tool. (I don't even like writing, but it is essential to have good writing skills).

This article is going places.

all totalitarian ideologies should be challenged and as Islam is a totalitarian idoelogy with little or no room for critics, to become aspotate without legalised islamic murder or without holding a different faith or ideology without serve persecution, harassment and discrimination then it is the duty and right of all non-muslims and muslims to challenge Islam. And it is a duty for Sikhs also to question this totaliterian ideology.

http://www.sikhismislam.co.nr

...What I'm saying is we can't become too hippy pansy and blindly accept something in the guise of political correctness. I have a big ole' cluster of ideas in my head, but I'm not a great writer. On the side I'm thinking about taking some non-major requirement writing classes as I do believe in this day in age writing is a really powerful tool. (I don't even like writing, but it is essential to have good writing skills).

This article is going places.

You'll need this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Style-4th-Edition/dp/0205313426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367777762&sr=8-1&keywords=elements+of+style.

On a general note I agree with your opinions on this subject, but as of late (a bit too late IMO but anyway...) I've also begun to question the white, western slant on...well, basically everything in the world that is presented to us as the accepted "way". Be very, very careful not to fall for the western / colonial / imperial version of events, which is very much alive and kicking even though the old empires and colonies may have been disbanded a long time ago. That also doesn't mean go to the opposite extreme of becoming hugely paranoid about everything white-controlled. Common sense and critical thinking is the key.

Well stated Singh559 Paji, VHS Paji and Genie Singh. The politically correct nonsense that Sikhi ... which is about Sarbat dha Bhalla and the welfare of all humanity whether Sikh, Christian, Muslim, Atheist or Jewish etc ... and Islam are somehow equally beneficial to global society needs to be refuted. We need to constantly remind people that Bhai Mardana Ji was the 1st Sikh and there was a reason why Bhai Mardana Ji left Islam - despite apostacy being punishable by death according to Prophet Muhammad's rules. When one day far into the future billions of Muslims realise that Guru Sahib liberated people - whilst Muhammad enslaved them, the whole World could change for the better ... as I find it staggering that in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh the Muslims outnumber Sikhs by 20 to 1 ... which is why we badly need to break all links of Punjabiyat with Sikhi and focus on growing our our numbers even if that be primarily via new Sehajdhari believers who believe in the concept of Sarbat Da Bhala. A greater number of Amritdhari GurSikhs will follow that in due course.

• 3 weeks later...