Sarbat Statement On Uk Same Sex Marriage Bill

sarbat

July 6, 2009

The Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of Sikhism is of the firm view that Delhi High Court judgment on gay relationships could ruin the society as this was against the tenets of all religions.
Reacting to the judgement on Saturday, Takht Jathedar Gian Gurbachan Singh said the Sikh religion or for that matter any religion did not permit sexual relations between individuals of the same sex.
"This is a very serious matter and against religious codes and ethics, "he said while appealing to the Sikhs against maintaining relations with the same sex.
"Any Sikh, baptised, non-baptised or one who believes in the Guru Granth Sahib, need not be influenced by the court judgement and should always refrain from establishing gay relationships," he said.
An edict issued from Akal Takht nearly four years ago had not only prohibited Sikhs from being involved in gay relationships but had described such a relationship as 'anti religious'. This edict was issued when there was a hot debate on legalising gay relationships in Canada, where a large number of Sikhs are settled.
Giani Gurcharan Singh said Sikhs should stick to the edict and set an example by keeping themselves away from such all "unnatural relationships".
"The marriage verses enshrined in the Guru Granth Sahib are meant to solemnise weddings only between persons of opposite sexes," he said.

Same peole who back down from supporting Sikh movies and making the Sikh youth aware of what happened to them. Same people who don't support poor Sikhs or shaeed parivaar and back down when the Badals or the government say "naughty naughty". What do they know about dharam?

Same peole who back down from supporting Sikh movies and making the Sikh youth aware of what happened to them. Same people who don't support poor Sikhs or shaeed parivaar and back down when the Badals or the government say "naughty naughty". What do they know about dharam?

ਸੋ ਇਸ ਦਾ ਮਤਲਬ ਇਹ ਹੋਇਆ ਕਿ ਜੇ ਕੋਈ ਕਿਸੇ ਇਕ ਵਿਸ਼ੇ ਤੇ ਅਵਾਸ਼ ਨਹੀ ਉਠਾਉਂਦਾ, ਉਹ ਕਿਸੇ ਭੀ ਵਿਸ਼ੇ ਤੇ ਆਵਾਜ਼ ਉਠਾ ਹੀ ਨਹੀ ਸਕਦਾ? ਭਾਈ ਵਿਕਾਰ ਤੇ ਵਿਕਾਰ ਹੀ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਪਾਵੇਂ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਹੁਣ ਜਿਨਾ ਮਰਜੀ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਸਹੀ ਦੁਹਰਾਉਣ ਦੀ ਕੋਸ਼ਿਸ਼ ਕਰੋ। ਸਮ ਲਿੰਗੀ ਵਿਕਾਰ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰਮੱਤ ਅਨੁਸਾਰ ਸਹੀ ਕਿਹਣਾ ਮਹਾ ਮਨਮੱਤ ਹੈ।

I don't like this whole concept it doesn't sit right with me because Sikhi isn't about your own personal feelings for when y ou get married, you give your head to the Guru and then you get married according to Gurmat, not according to your sexual orientation.

With that said, stop this sarbat website nonsense and start advocating for equality for all people instead (ie non-Sikh homosexual rights) perhaps.

why start mixing gays with Sikhism, since it has nothing to do with Sikhism or spirituality.

It doesn't matter if you are gay, khusra (hemporhodite) , straight or bisexual.

Sikhism has NOTHING to do with sexual orientation, caste or gender.

Gender equality doesn't mean exclude all gays and lesbians.

Remember, that when Guru Nanak started to talk about abolishing caste, we had the 'untouchables' the lower casts that were not even allowed in the same kitchen, room or temple as the higher Brahmins.

If we start excluding gays and lesbians, then we are just relabeling them as the new 'untouchables'

Now, I personally think that Guru Nanak had no problem accepting anyone to be part of his gurmat, this included other religions, chamars, churey, untouchables, cannibals....etc....because if they wanted to come and practice his gurmat and way of life through his teachings then they were more than welcome.

If we think for a minute, if some khusra came to him wanting to be a follower of his, then he wouldn't have hesitated just because the khusra may have had a man's willie and a woman's breasts !! :biggrin2:

Because that didn't matter at all - as ALL were welcome !!

HOWEVER, I don't think that Guru Amardas would have been too keen doing the anand karaj ceremony for 2 khusrey !!! :stupidme:

I just can't imagine that happening, because what really would have been the purpose for the 2 khusreys to have anand karaj ??

Can 2 gays or lesbians actually procreate and produce gursikhs for the future ??

We know they can't, so do they really need to be married ??

In the near future, I cannot imagine 2 gays walking around doing the lama, can you ???

Would it be for a license to indulge in sexual activities with each other or would it be for helping each other's jeevans on the path to waheguru ?

I really do think Sarbat people and gay sikhs (there are loads... y'all will be surprised!) are pushing it with the anand karaj. There is no need for gay Sikhs to get married or to indulge in this khaami lifestyle... what you should be doing is focusing on controlling it... accepting your gay is one thing but you should not be acting on it... it is ultimately an unhealthy practice to engage in homosexual coitus... There are other methods out there which gay Sikhs should look to explore before engaging in such activities.

BUT I agree with earlier posts that it is wrong to believe that homosexuality is deviate and we should shun gay people as abnormal is going too far... We should accept Gay Sikhs but NOT those that act upon it sexually... There is this gay dude that does sooo much seva at my local Gurdwara everyday and its distressing to see sangat mock him and avoid him even though the amount of seva and obvious humility he has...

On side note I wish people would not pick and choose the edicts of the Akal Takhat and the direction of Jathedar Gurbachan Singh... Either accept the Hukams that come out the Akal Takhat or dont...

The purpose of getting married n living together is to support the world with upcoming generations....

What a fool is that person who get involve in having relation with same sex.....

Gay n les r no1 but those who suffers from some disorder.....

U r actually going against the will of God...

The day these couple will start giving birth to child that day I will surely respect them.....

I agree they have heart to luv n feeling but unfortunately they don't know how to use it........

Kaljug aa bai kaljug aa :p

Even though I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle, I don't oppose gay non-Sikhs wanting to get married as long as Sikhs are not forced to marry gay couples in front of the Guru Granth Sahib and in their gurdwaras.

I really do think Sarbat people and gay sikhs (there are loads... y'all will be surprised!) are pushing it with the anand karaj. There is no need for gay Sikhs to get married or to indulge in this khaami lifestyle... what you should be doing is focusing on controlling it... accepting your gay is one thing but you should not be acting on it... it is ultimately an unhealthy practice to engage in homosexual coitus... There are other methods out there which gay Sikhs should look to explore before engaging in such activities.

BUT I agree with earlier posts that it is wrong to believe that homosexuality is deviate and we should shun gay people as abnormal is going too far... We should accept Gay Sikhs but NOT those that act upon it sexually... There is this gay dude that does sooo much seva at my local Gurdwara everyday and its distressing to see sangat mock him and avoid him even though the amount of seva and obvious humility he has...

On side note I wish people would not pick and choose the edicts of the Akal Takhat and the direction of Jathedar Gurbachan Singh... Either accept the Hukams that come out the Akal Takhat or dont...

Agree with this 100%, would be interested on Sarbat group's thoughts on the Akal takht and this particular edict..

Can OP share there own views on these two points?

I don't have a problem with people not understanding or even disagreeing with the akal takhts hukams but all must bow down and humbly accept them.