I'm Losing Faith In Sikhism. How Do I Tell My Parents?

Guest Anon

Guest harsharan000

Bravo young boy. Though you are very young, but you are using your true sense discrimianation. I morally support you, as you are being true to yourself. Wahiguru is a matter of heart and purity of mind. At different times, one has to adjust to those times.

Guru Gobind Singh, made the khalsa panth at that time, because the islam was spreading in full force with violence und unjustice, so Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj, thought to prepare the men in a way, so to face them with dignity.

Under His guidance, we learnt to be brave and strong, and show to those invaders, that if you dare to come and trouble us, you will get a tough time, and in order to make His men visible to those invaders, He thought in the K S and made a disinguished race of people, the fighters for justice and human rights, by keeping these noble views in mind.

Now a days, the systems, the politics,have changed, we have goverments, we have one army defending one nation, everything is much more channelized, much more organized. Before there were many kingdoms, and thus kings in the same nation, and there used to be frecuent attacks, to overpower the opponent king and grab it by force ....after that came the western world countries with their colonizations...and that also has been an issue of the past now ... so we are heading towards a very differnt situation than that of five, six hundred years back ...

So with a broader perspective, if we still feel that we should continue with our values and traditions, there is no harm in doing so, we are most welcome, it is nice and there is some beauty in it also.

But definetely, we are not judged in the next world by our 5 KS. We shall be judged for our karmas, for our lack of bhakti, for our evil tendencies, if we broke the heart of someone deliberately, or abused someone in anger...in one word, if we inflicted pain on somebody ....

What to say for the 5 KS, even the body who wore and kept them, shall be reduced to ashes....It is our minds which we have to defeat and polish it, by dying it in Nam Bhakti.

It is His Bhakti alone, which only counts, to enter His abode.

Jin prem kiyo, tinhee Prabh paayoh

Wahiguru´s essence is not in material things made of 5 tatwas, but in His devotion. Purity is gained by associating ourselves with that Shabad or Nam, not by outer outfits.

Do not ever fight or argue with your parents, respect them always, as through them you are born as a human being in this very life. Which thus gives you the chance to meet Wahiguru. Think it, do they desrve anytthing less from you as a son or their child.?

Only when you grow a little bit more and become an adult, talk to them openly and lovingly, just as you have done in this thread, they will sure understand you.

That which is not accomplished by force, use the weapon of love.

You are a good child.

May God bless you

In spite of all what you say, sikhee is something very different from what generally people think of it, or believe it to be.

Sikhee´s main objective is to unite the soul with the Supreme father Wahiguru Akal Purukh, through bhakti, through the regular practice of love and devotion, at His Lotus feet.

As simple as that.

Apart from that, all is paraphernalia.

You may change your outer apperance if you want, but never ever leave the door, the teachings of our Guru Sahibans, because then we may have entered the world, but at the cost of missing the chance of getting back to Him, some day.

As said, do what you want, under the frame of morality, but do always cherish love at the holy feet of Wahiguru, that is my only humble advice to you

May God bless you.

Well, The guy starting this thread has not lost faith in Sikhi but confused , else he wouldn't have made the post , the rest replying are making him more confused .

As far i understand Sikhi starts frm accepting God the almighty and his wish , live the way he wanted us to (accepting the form he very graciously provided alongwith kesh ) , love his creations(trying to help others in living their life till it does not hinder any other living being doing the same - Bhai kahoo ko det nah nah bhai manat aan) , spend life in his rememberence the ultimate goal being to attain unison with the SUPREME SOUL .

When a man decides to walk on the path of Sikhi, He accepts everything what Gurus Give him..Whether you talk about BANA or BANI... Both things have deep sense in the journey of achieving waheguru through Sikhi.

Those ten gurus were one JOT... we accept them when we are in their school ""SIkhism"""... We have given some blessings and orders..We have to follow them because we have to attain Waheguru..

Saying like that I am Guru nanak's sikh and not Guru Gobind singh's makes you nothing more than ""Hypocrite sikh"". And you are trolling yourself....you can lie us but you can't lie to your heart.

but believe me if you are honest ,if you feel you are pure from your heart,, one day sikhi it will bloom itself from your body ...simply that's sikhi purifies you according to time.

I was mona when i was studying Guru nanak,, but As I go through it more and more I felt more spiritual level of me... I kept kesh later,,it happens with the will of waheguru.. take a name of waheguru with pure and clean heart...this thing will make you GURU KA SIKH,,, nobody becomes sikh with his choice....This all about waheguru who forms our body in natural sense...and we accept the way he made us. Simple..

Okay I'm 16 Years old and I have found some discrepancies in Sikhism that have caused me to lose faith. First of all guru Nanak dev ji did all he could to avoid violence and he was automatically respected wherever he went. Guru gobind Singh ji was war oriented and proclaimed Sikhs as the warrior race. Guru gobind Singh ji also said that we must keep a turban and Kesh. On the other hand guru Nanak dev ji said in one of his sakhis where the pandit was tying a bracelet on him, that he won't wear it because no exterior feature will help someone reach god. In addition guru Nanak dev ji said that it doesn't matter what religion you are as long as you're one with god and are humble. Guru Gobind Singh ji said we should wear a turban because kings at the time wore it and we should be proclaimed as kings. In my opinion that's not humble at all. Guru Nanak dev ji said that we are all equal no matter what and you shouldn't care if you have something others don't. Guru gobind Singh ji gave us a turban so we stick out and be recognized as Sikhs. Again not humble. Also Sikhs are not allowed to have their backs and feet towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. But guru Nanak dev ji in one of his sakhis guru nakak dev ji went to a mosque and pointed his feet towards Mecca which Muslims could not do but he said that god is everywhere. I believe in guru Nanak dev ji but not the others after him. I believe I should cut my kesh now because I don't see a reason to keep it. How do I approach my parents about this? They aren't really religious and my dad trims but he loves India and Indian culture. He's very authoritarian but how do I approach my patents about this?

Hi brother, it breaks my heart to see you question so much of your relationship with your faith, I am a convert to Sikhi however I can imagine many young Sikhs in the faith have such questions and you are brave to bring them out in the open. I hope it will help with many others that might be experiencing similar doubts. I believe many of the questions can be answered simply by researching more and with more simran. I will however answer with the limited knowladge I have in my own path to sikhi.

First of all guru Nanak dev ji did all he could to avoid violence and he was automatically respected wherever he went. Guru gobind Singh ji was war oriented and proclaimed Sikhs as the warrior race.

The Gurus faced different challenges at different times, All however believed in exhausting all other means before raising the sword. They all made great sacrifices too. Demonstrating all the forms of service to humanity. Guru Gobind Singh Ji did create or give form to the khalsa so that in future the opressed would have a force for truth and rightiousness to turn to. Raising the sword was always to be done as a last resort. If all other means had failed to achieve peace and justice.

Guru gobind Singh ji also said that we must keep a turban and Kesh.

Understanding the Kesh is important, for so many reasons. It is to accept the form we are created by Waheguru. To protect this the dastar.

On the other hand guru Nanak dev ji said in one of his sakhis where the pandit was tying a bracelet on him, that he won't wear it because no exterior feature will help someone reach god. In addition guru

The red thread in question was given to the higher castes only. Not all could wear it. Why distinguish high and low. If it was put into fire it burns. The Kara is very egalitarian...not made of fine materials liek silk or gold. Its strong as iron and accessible to all regardless of caste or status. Its a sign of our chain to our Lord. To always do the work rightiously and truthfully.

Nanak dev ji said that it doesn't matter what religion you are as long as you're one with god and are humble.

Sikhi still doesnt go looking for forced convertions. It accepts other faiths and the Gurus always assisted and defenced people of other faiths. Look at example of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji.

Guru Gobind Singh ji said we should wear a turban because kings at the time wore it and we should be proclaimed as kings.

Again all are kings, equal. Breaking down the barriers by empowerment.

In my opinion that's not humble at all. Guru Nanak dev ji said that we are all equal no matter what and you shouldn't care if you have something others don't. Guru gobind Singh ji gave us a turban so we stick out and be recognized as Sikhs.

The turban should be a sign that people can look for protection. Someone who stands for truth and justice. It is perhaps we as sikhs who fail to live up to this not the fault of our Gurus.

Also Sikhs are not allowed to have their backs and feet towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. But guru Nanak dev ji in one of his sakhis guru nakak dev ji went to a mosque and pointed his feet towards Mecca which Muslims could not do but he said that god is everywhere.

Showing respect to your living Guru why would you turn your back to them? The point Guru nanak Dev Ji was making was that God is everywhere. He didnt live in the Kaaba or Ganga.

I believe in guru Nanak dev ji but not the others after him.

Guru Angad Ji was chosen by Guru Nanak Dev ji over his sons as his successor. It was his words. If you believe in his words believe in his actions also.

I believe I should cut my kesh now because I don't see a reason to keep it. How do I approach my parents about this? They aren't really religious and my dad trims but he loves India and Indian culture. He's very authoritarian but how do I approach my patents about this?

Keep your Kesh out of pyar if you do not understand it quite yet. The problem arises when its a cultural aspect not religious. If the parents dont understand such things how are children meant to. Arm yourself with knowladge brother. Its not enough mearly to dip into something you need to crave for understanding. To want to be with Akaal purak more than anything. Otherwise all these things discussed mean nothing. You are so blessed in so many ways! Again forgive me for any inaccuracies or any offence caused.

Hi brother, it breaks my heart to see you question so much of your relationship with your faith, I am a convert to Sikhi however I can imagine many young Sikhs in the faith have such questions and you are brave to bring them out in the open. I hope it will help with many others that might be experiencing similar doubts. I believe many of the questions can be answered simply by researching more and with more simran. I will however answer with the limited knowladge I have in my own path to sikhi.

First of all guru Nanak dev ji did all he could to avoid violence and he was automatically respected wherever he went. Guru gobind Singh ji was war oriented and proclaimed Sikhs as the warrior race.

The Gurus faced different challenges at different times, All however believed in exhausting all other means before raising the sword. They all made great sacrifices too. Demonstrating all the forms of service to humanity. Guru Gobind Singh Ji did create or give form to the khalsa so that in future the opressed would have a force for truth and rightiousness to turn to. Raising the sword was always to be done as a last resort. If all other means had failed to achieve peace and justice.

Guru gobind Singh ji also said that we must keep a turban and Kesh.

Understanding the Kesh is important, for so many reasons. It is to accept the form we are created by Waheguru. To protect this the dastar.

On the other hand guru Nanak dev ji said in one of his sakhis where the pandit was tying a bracelet on him, that he won't wear it because no exterior feature will help someone reach god. In addition guru

The red thread in question was given to the higher castes only. Not all could wear it. Why distinguish high and low. If it was put into fire it burns. The Kara is very egalitarian...not made of fine materials liek silk or gold. Its strong as iron and accessible to all regardless of caste or status. Its a sign of our chain to our Lord. To always do the work rightiously and truthfully.

Nanak dev ji said that it doesn't matter what religion you are as long as you're one with god and are humble.

Sikhi still doesnt go looking for forced convertions. It accepts other faiths and the Gurus always assisted and defenced people of other faiths. Look at example of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji.

Guru Gobind Singh ji said we should wear a turban because kings at the time wore it and we should be proclaimed as kings.

Again all are kings, equal. Breaking down the barriers by empowerment.

In my opinion that's not humble at all. Guru Nanak dev ji said that we are all equal no matter what and you shouldn't care if you have something others don't. Guru gobind Singh ji gave us a turban so we stick out and be recognized as Sikhs.

The turban should be a sign that people can look for protection. Someone who stands for truth and justice. It is perhaps we as sikhs who fail to live up to this not the fault of our Gurus.

Also Sikhs are not allowed to have their backs and feet towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. But guru Nanak dev ji in one of his sakhis guru nakak dev ji went to a mosque and pointed his feet towards Mecca which Muslims could not do but he said that god is everywhere.

Showing respect to your living Guru why would you turn your back to them? The point Guru nanak Dev Ji was making was that God is everywhere. He didnt live in the Kaaba or Ganga.

I believe in guru Nanak dev ji but not the others after him.

Guru Angad Ji was chosen by Guru Nanak Dev ji over his sons as his successor. It was his words. If you believe in his words believe in his actions also.

I believe I should cut my kesh now because I don't see a reason to keep it. How do I approach my parents about this? They aren't really religious and my dad trims but he loves India and Indian culture. He's very authoritarian but how do I approach my patents about this?

Keep your Kesh out of pyar if you do not understand it quite yet. The problem arises when its a cultural aspect not religious. If the parents dont understand such things how are children meant to. Arm yourself with knowladge brother. Its not enough mearly to dip into something you need to crave for understanding. To want to be with Akaal purak more than anything. Otherwise all these things discussed mean nothing. You are so blessed in so many ways! Again forgive me for any inaccuracies or any offence caused.

i like your POV

• 1 year later...
Guest Cagney

Well you can be a Sikh and not a member of the khalsa, meaning you can follow nanak only, I consider myself to be much like a sikh, but I do not wear a turban and do feel the same as the OP... I like tengrism a lot though, the first monotheistic religion ever.

• 4 months later...

Do whatever you feel is right for you, anything or anyone that makes you feel obliged in anyway cannot be right, and surely leaving any religion is ok so long as you believe in god in your heart, if god punishes for this then thats a god not worth worshiping