Khalsa Panth - 12Th Guru?

Gurmat states there to be more than one form of the Guru. The first form, obviously, is the physical form or the "deh." Gurmat is the creation of ten "dehs." The first "deh" of course was Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It is the "deh" in which revelations are made, disciples recruited and teachings imparted.

The "deh" is subject to age and death. Each and every "deh" whether it belong to an animal or human is subject to this rule. Age robs one of strength whereas death robs one of life. The Gurus were aware of this rule and thus created a second form of themselves, the Shabad. The Shabad or word is immortal. It can neither be destroyed, neither changed nor forgotten. Somewhere, someone will retain knowledge of it.s To this end the Guru Granth Sahib Ji was created, it captures the essence of the Gurus; their knowledge and teaching. Thus their "deh" has moved on, but their teachings remain. As Guru Nanak Dev Ji explained to the siddhs, it is not the Guru which one must connect with but his teachings. There are many faiths which connect only with the founder but not with his teachings, the Guru's wanted to avoid this and hence they gave their teachings more due than themselves.

The third form was given Guruship by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. It is the Khalsa. Ratan Singh Bhangu describes how after the battle of Chamkaur, the Guru made Khalsa Guru:

“Quatrain: They arranged intense vigil all around with man standing next to man. More with more men were posted. In between them, none could penetrate at night.

2 One would surmise, ‘the Guru will not be contained’ and then again, ‘how will he fly off?’ In all four directions are his would be captors. A hundred thousand surrounded him.

3 Neither can he grow wings and fly away to some place, nor can he enter into the earth. Very rightly, the Guru was in real difficulty. It was as the people had speculated.

4 The True Guru could think of nothing viable. He had no fighting forces left. The princes had attained martyrdom. It was a matter of serious concern for the True Guru.5

Couplet: ‘I have returned my sons’ thought the True Guru. ‘There appears to be no escape for me and others. Whatever happens is His Will.’6

Quatrain: However, it is well that the Turks are responsible for our deaths. The words of our ancestors have been fulfilled. Now let me bestow Guruship on the Khalsa. He placed the mark of Guruship on the Khalsa.’ 7

[Page 97]

Where the Guru himself was sitting, he ceremoniously installed Sant Singh. He himself carefully tied his own turban on the head of Sant Singh.

8 His own aigrette he put on his head and made him wear his own dress. The Singh was made to sit in the position of a Guru, as Guru Nanak had anointed Angad.

9 The Khalsa was asked to come and pay ceremonial respects. The True Guru bestowed sovereignty upon the Singhs. Sant Singh was instructed thus: ‘do not be captured. Become a martyr.’10”

(Sri Gur Panth Prakash, Ratan Singh Bhangu, p. 97-98).

Thus the Guru exists in three forms. The "deh," the Shabad and the Khalsa.

ਆਪਨਪੌ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਖਾਲਸਹਿ ਸੌਪਾਂ, ਦ੍ਵਤਯਿ ਰੂਪ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਾ ॥

I (Guru Gobind Singh Ji) have passed down (my form) to the Khalsa, the second Form of mine is the Granth

ਬੋਲਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਬਦ-ਸੋਭਾਖਨ, ਨਾਮ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਕੀਰਤਨਿ ਸੰਥਾ ॥

The recitation of the Shabad is the Satiguru's speach to us, whether it be Gods Name [simran roop)], or through singing hymns [keertan], or through studying His Word [santhaa]

ਗੁਨਾਨੁਵਾਦ ਪੁਨਿ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਲਾਹਨਿ, ਊਠਤੁ ਬੈਠਤੁ ਸੈਨ ਕਰੰਥਾ ॥

By praising the Lord one becomes virtuous, whether standing or sitting

ਪਾਵਨ ਪੰਥ ਖਾਲਸਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਯੋ, ਚਾਰ ਵਰਨ ਆਸ਼੍ਰਮ ਸੁਭ ਪੰਥਾ ॥੧॥

The pure Panth, the Khalsa has came into being, that glorious Panth with four castes [Khatri, Bahman, Sudh, Vaish] and four ashrams [brahamchari, Grishti, Vaanprasti, Sanyasi]

ਇਨ ਕੇ ਦਰਸ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕੋ ਦਰਸਨ, ਬੋਲਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਬਦੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗ੍ਰੰਥਾ ॥

If you wish to behold Me then behold the Khalsa [which is Satiguru], if you wish to speak to Me then repeat the Bani from the Guru Granth Sahib

ਦ੍ਵਾਦਸਿ ਰੂਪ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਏ ਕਹਿਯਤਿ, ਦ੍ਵਾਦਸਿ-ਭਾਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਹਰਿ ਸੰਤਾ ॥

Oh Saints of the Hari listen, in twelve forms the Satiguru appears, just as twelve phases of the sun

ਪ੍ਰਤਯਖ ਕਲਾ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਧਣੀਛੈ, ਗ੍ਰੰਥਿ ਪੰਥ ਖਾਲਸ ਵਰਤੰਤਾ ॥

The visible power of God is manifested in the Khalsa as [the doctrine of the Guru] Granth and [that of the Guru] Panth

ਦਾਸ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਫਤਹ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ, ਖਾਸ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਗੁਰੁ ਰੂਪ ਬਦੰਤਾ ॥੨॥ਦੁਪਦ ੧॥

The Servant, Gobind [singh] says, all victory is Paramatma's, the true Guru's form is now the [Guru] Granth.

- Sarbloh Granth, Vol. II, page 496.

http://tisarpanth.blogspot.co.nz/2013/02/what-are-different-forms-of-guru.html