How To Use Mala To Do Jaaps Or Simran

• 4 weeks later...

When somebody is using a mala do they also count the big bead?

It supposed to be counted with the big head if there is one or sometimes there is a thread piece as a marker.

I don't actually use one but I have learned a little about it's use and significance at my kundalini yoga classes.

I have been told that you should actually count the beads and the figures should be 27,53,108.. depending on it's size. In fact, the number of beads ALWAYS add up to 9- NINE !!

(Nine is a very strong and powerful number in numerology)

Now, there are some not so authentic ones around I believe and that is why you should count to see if the number comes to 9 with the big head or not. If it doesn't then you can just use the big head as a marker without counting it !

We should remember that the actual 'counting' is not strictly gurmat, because it should be quality and not quantity.

(NOTE- missionary view is that mala is not strict gurmat and is condemned!!)

In my opinion However, this does NOT mean that malas are not gurmat because they are simply a tool that can help one keep track and to focus by doing the repetitive hand movement.

You have to learn to distinguish that trying to do X amount of malas or numbers and then giving this more dhian than the actual simran is not gurmat.ie.. to be thinking ''Oh, I've got 100 more to do and then I will be done for the day'' is not gurmat, because your PRIMARY focus shifts away from the actual job and task of simran.

Some people find doing simran so much easier with using a mala, even though they may not be counting or keeping a number track.

They simply endorse the instruction to say the gurmantar with every pass of a new bead.

And when they try simran without a mala, they simply find it difficult to pursue and persevere with it. Therefore, if it helps you, I would suggest 'go for it' !

Personally, I use my breath as my mala during simran but I did start with a mala at first when I was a kid.

The mala then becomes a personal tool for your relationship with God and doing your jap. I mean personal in the sense that it becomes yours only and you use it in your own personal manner and pace. Therefore when it is not being used,you know and feel that it is your valuable tool when it comes to that jap time whenever you make it.