New With Sikhism

Palarmux

Thanks for all answers so far, feel free to put more answers/tips etc. and N30S1NGH I have actually tried to find good website to read Gurbani, but never found one - your page seems good. What comes to meditation, I will try your way in that aswell!

Yeah srigranth.com is a good place to start. If you want videos with translations then this youtube channel is good. http://www.youtube.com/user/wwRajKaregaKhalsaNet/videos

It has Sikh hymns and prayers with translations.

2. Is it ok to drink wine once in a while? I dont mean to get drunk - I just like the taste of wine and its becoming my hobby.

No, it is not . it is forbidden

Alcohol is forbidden if you take amrit.

1. Is it turban necessary? I live in Finland and this country is pretty Racist. I dont scare that people laugh at me if I wear it, but I just dont like the way it look.

If you keep your hair uncut, then you'll need a turban. If you begin to progress on the path of Sikhi, you may decide to keep your hair and wear a turban. For the time being it is fine and you don't have to wear it. Take it slowly, read and learn about Sikhi until you are 100% sure you want to follow this path.

No worries opening about third eye so much, you will realize in overtime naturally, while these are bit intermediate stages ,they are also bit of distraction... just remember full peace of mind/thoughtless state is much more higher or closer towards meeting god than opening up third eye etc, your real self is beyond third eye, chakras etc.

Each one of us real self is ~ Pure existence consciousness awareness bliss ~ which does not have any thoughts whatsoever but we don't realize it as five bad attributes/vices- lust, anger, greed, atttachment and biggest the ego have super imposed themselves on our selves....Gurbani says- Man tu jot saroop hai, apna mool paichain - O mind, you are light recognize your own root.

Just to give you slight idea of signs of self realization slowly, think about three common states of human- awakened state(like we are now), dream state and deep sleep state/rem state which we all go through when we sleep...its thoughtless state..common thing between all three states that god/our real self consciousness which exist in all of us is witness of all three states Hence why after deep sleep we say i have very good sleep. Now ,one and biggest main difference between deep sleep state and gradual self realization state- in deep sleep state you are not consciously aware but its thoughtless but in gradual self realization state - its a thoughtless awareness state that thoughtless awareness is ~ Pure existence consciousness awareness bliss ~ .!!!

I do apologize in advance to you and rest of sangat for the post above i dont mean to overwhelm you with information but since you mentioned third eye, i wanted to share my thoughts on this.

Drinking alcohol while praying or prior to praying is a big no no and disrespectful, not to mention you can not have full concentration, would be even better if you pray after a shower, as the saying goes cleanliness is next to Godliness

Also you must have heard saying/metaphor whatever you eat or drink thats what you become.

Diet is very important factor as well- avoid meat/eggs by invoking compassion/dya in you for other beings, spicy foods, wine/alchohol, excessive sugar/caffenine(make you hyper). 3ho have good list of healty hood Eat those but even then eat everything in moderation.

Sat sri akal!

I found sikhism few month ago, but to keep it short - I was depressed, cutting, listening suicidal black metal. Until I found artist called Snatam Kaur, at the moment I dont listen anymore black metal and I have found alot good music from sikh artists :) I have really thought to come into sikh, so I have few Question.

1. Is it turban necessary? I live in Finland and this country is pretty Racist. I dont scare that people laugh at me if I wear it, but I just dont like the way it look.

2. Is it ok to drink wine once in a while? I dont mean to get drunk - I just like the taste of wine and its becoming my hobby.

3. Any tips for meditation? Sometimes I have problems with meditation, I just dont get that chill/relaxing "state". I also have difficulties to open third eye, not sure if these 2 problems has connect or something.

4. I dont get that why we should chant while we meditate, I like to be in silence and just relax. Is it wrong?

I usually chant along when I listen some sikh artist (guruganesha sinhh, snatam kaur etc.)

5. Is it ok if I dont wear Kirtan, kanga and kaccha? I mean I just dont have money for those at the moment, and carrying knife in public is crime in Finland.

6. Is it Tattoos forbidden in sikhism?

Sounds like you just want to meditate and chill. that is not sikhi, personally snatam kaur, guruganesha do nothing for me just seems to be music but each to their own.

I have got alot good answers here. Thanks again.

What comes to alcohol, I have read that small amount of wine with food is ok. Its also pretty good for your health. For me its also pretty hard to eat only non meat/sugar free/ caffeine free etc. food, becauses it is alot more expensive.

I have always thought that God knows what is best for me and god will understand if I cant afford specific kind of food.

I have got alot good answers here. Thanks again.

What comes to alcohol, I have read that small amount of wine with food is ok. Its also pretty good for your health. For me its also pretty hard to eat only non meat/sugar free/ caffeine free etc. food, becauses it is alot more expensive.

I have always thought that God knows what is best for me and god will understand if I cant afford specific kind of food.

drinking alcohol/wine is not being a sikh, seriously listening to snatam kaur & guruganesha is one thing being a sikh is another.

When you say I have really thought to come into sikh, so I have few Question.

learn by all means but do not declare you are a sikh or convert as your are far from ready for that.