New With Sikhism

Palarmux

As you are probably already finding out, unfortunately a lot more arguing takes place on this forum compared to any learning or teaching...

For few people, discussions seem arguments

This forum will teach you a lot and you will learn a lot if you are willing to

come here with an open mind.

Yeah srigranth.com is a good place to start. If you want videos with translations then this youtube channel is good. http://www.youtube.com/user/wwRajKaregaKhalsaNet/videos

It has Sikh hymns and prayers with translations.

Alcohol is forbidden if you take amrit.

If you keep your hair uncut, then you'll need a turban. If you begin to progress on the path of Sikhi, you may decide to keep your hair and wear a turban. For the time being it is fine and you don't have to wear it. Take it slowly, read and learn about Sikhi until you are 100% sure you want to follow this path.

Alcohol is forbidden to any one calling themselves a sikh sehajdhari or amritdhari, Guru Nanak ji told babar to stop drinking wine ,others like Bhagat kabir ji have also condemned drinking wine etc , way before Amrit by the 10th Guru,although amrit was still done prior to kande de pahul and was known as charan pahu, This is exactly my point incorrect info given about sikhi, just personal made up thinking.

What are you doing currently in regards to meditating?

I pretty much take that meditation position and relax. I also put headset on and play tracks like this

these helps me alot. Sometimes I chant along, but it makes my thought/mind wander.

mal jee you are spot on

Sat ji,

I am not trying to show how wise or clever i am, but my point is that our Guru is samrat he is all wise he is the most clever no one is equal to him, what he says matters not us, he say drinking alcohol is wrong for all humans, that's it final as far as i am concerned.

Alcohol is forbidden to any one calling themselves a sikh sehajdhari or amritdhari, Guru Nanak ji told babar to stop drinking wine ,others like Bhagat kabir ji have also condemned drinking wine etc , way before Amrit by the 10th Guru,although amrit was still done prior to kande de pahul and was known as charan pahu, This is exactly my point incorrect info given about sikhi, just personal made up thinking.

. yeah, my bad wrote it wrong. ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥ ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥

Whosoever takes Marijuana, fish and alcoholic drinks; all his pilgrimages, fasts and performance of religious practices shall go waste (SGGS, p 1377).

Thanks Gupunknown, - brother Palarmux, my first advice would be to have a look at our youtube channel and see if many of your questions are already answered on there. Dont worry too much about your actions (although its good to give up alcohol etc) but focus more on learning and getting to understand Gurbani (the Guru's words). We have gone through an english explanation of the very first prayer all Sikhs should read every day, the Japji Sahib. Go through that.

Good luck to you and you can join our facebook group (Basicsof.sikhi) for more info.

Sat Sri Akaal

Dont worry too much about your actions (although its good to give up alcohol etc),

Please explain,because it is against sikhi to consume alcohol and from the way it come across it sounds like you are saying dont worry about it, should you not be telling this person from the start that alcohol is forbidden in sikhi.

you know theres an <edited> in every gurdwara who can turn any conversation into a panga ! hehheheh

many people come into sihki slowly... we usually say to them cut down slowly, bit by bit.. sehajey sehajey

we sometimes deal with alcoholics and drug addicts and we say cut it down slowly slowly if they can't stop it straight away.

until it disapears.... n30_singh was saying this exact same thing....

people new to sikhi first need to learn what it is thet they are sacrificing these things for - once this love is found within then the person will give his head - let alone alcohol.....

take one step towards the guru and he will take 1000 towards you....

Members here are bashing on "BasicsofSikhi" for no reason. He did not say that alcohal is allowed, he meant at this point based on OP's level, as he's just new. Don't you think, one bhajj jana, je onu pehla hi kehdo tu daru ni peeni, meat ni khana, kesh rakh ke parna ban, prayian istaria nu ni dekhna, amritvele uthke path karin roj ishnana karke etc. These changes doesn't happen like this ke somebody ask and we do it. These happen from internally and by itself. And meditation is the key step for internal change. He'll get more knowledge of Sikhi as he has or will start reading books and translation of Gurbani.

Jehrhe sewa karde ne, ona nu thale khichan di thaa te ona de brabar sewa karke dikhao. BasicsofSikhi's youtube links provide all the required knowledge.

True . also one more thing is that , you cant expect a person to change in 1 sec right?

so let that guy take him time im not saying alcohol is allowed

you know theres an UNCLE MAL in every gurdwara who can turn any conversation into a panga ! hehheheh

many people come into sihki slowly... we usually say to them cut down slowly, bit by bit.. sehajey sehajey

we sometimes deal with alcoholics and drug addicts and we say cut it down slowly slowly if they can't stop it straight away.

until it disapears.... n30_singh was saying this exact same thing....

people new to sikhi first need to learn what it is thet they are sacrificing these things for - once this love is found within then the person will give his head - let alone alcohol.....

take one step towards the guru and he will take 1000 towards you....

There are plenty of apne who have been listening to bani for years sehajaey sehajay and they cant give up alcohol, so why not be truthful and say clearly from the offset that was my point puttar from your UNCLE MAL.

I did't want to post here, but it's really hurting to see ke apan kise nu sewa vi ni karan dinde. Members here are bashing on "BasicsofSikhi" for no reason. He did not say that alcohal is allowed, he meant at this point based on OP's level, as he's just new. BasicsofSikhi's youtube links provide all the required knowledge. Don't you think, one bhajj jana, je onu pehla hi kehdo tu daru ni peeni, meat ni khana, kesh rakh ke parna ban, prayian istaria nu ni dekhna, amritvele uthke path karin roj ishnana karke etc. These changes doesn't happen like this ke somebody ask and we do it. These happen from internally and by itself. And meditation is the key step for internal change. He'll get more knowledge of Sikhi as he has or will start reading books and translation of Gurbani.

very well said by Taran0 ji "people new to sikhi first need to learn what it is thet they are sacrificing these things for"

No one bashing your basic to sikhi friend, just asking a question or is that forbidden and do you follow blindly!! I thought this was about debating not once have i insulted anyone, also if the person is asking about alcohol tell him it is not allowed, what the problem with that

True . also one more thing is that , you cant expect a person to change in 1 sec right?

so let that guy take him time im not saying alcohol is allowed

so the next time you right a long post telling people about sikhi and how they must do pesh etc remember your own advice you cant expect a person to change in 1 sec right? but how about telling a new person to your faith the truth especially when the are talking about alcohol, or are we trying to convert someone under false pretenses, the other thing you have to remember is that non amritdharis will say its ok dont worry about it but you expect amritdharis to stand up and tell the truth.